Guys honeslty i don't know why everybody doesn't just use 3 fingers for Picking.
I use 3 and the advantages are

Easier Pich Harmonics
Closer to 90 angle ( and can be varied)
No need for anchoring
Hand can rest on bridge
( if desired )
Same speed picking as standard way ( if not faster)
Can change angles for anything from louder playing to sweep picking

So can you guys give me any reason why people even use the standard way what are the advantages And please don't say preference because i have tried both and are pretty comfortable
do you hold the pick angled backwards as opposed to the standard way?
if so, then how do you get pinch harmonics?
I use three myself, because my pinky is still stiff after almost 6 years of neglecting it while playing guitar XD

There's no such thing as advantages or disadvantages really, just what feels good to one and what feels good to someone else. For me, three fingers is still lovely and comfortable while I'm learning Chet Atkins songs ^^
Quote by tappooh
do you hold the pick angled backwards as opposed to the standard way?
if so, then how do you get pinch harmonics?

Imagine a pick balancing on a string that basically how i hold it exceptmy thumb has to be bent 90 but im double jointed so its not a problem
I just slightly push my thumb forward and play its perfect for playing trust me..
Quote by Voodoo13
Imagine a pick balancing on a string that basically how i hold it exceptmy thumb has to be bent 90 but im double jointed so its not a problem
I just slightly push my thumb forward and play its perfect for playing trust me..

i normally hold the pick "paul gilbert style", but sometimes switch to "3 fingers reverse angle" for quick alternate picking. it felt very comfortable from the start, even though i never practice it. oh and you dont need to bend the thumb that much... it helps but by thumb doesnt bend at all (only very little) and i can still do it.
Quote by KirkChicoHammet
I think Steve Morse uses 3 fingers to pick too.

Yeah but he anchors his pinkie i close fist with wrist on bridge
Eddie VanHalen always used 3 fingers on his pick...

I usually do too, though I rarely put all that much thought into details of technique like how I hold my pick... I used to bend and break certain picks because I held them that way. The picks I use now put up with it well and I don't really bend them unless I'm tremolo picking (stiffens the pick, since I use LH picks, they're very light but still relatively stiff).
I've tried it before. It's not comfortable to me, but whatever works for you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've wasted the first 2 years of playing guitar holding the pick like that. When I changed to the 'normal' position everything went a lot better.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I just tried it and only have one word to say about it: yuck.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
^ This. I can't stand playing with three fingers.

As for the advantages of the traditional manner

1. It became the standard for a reason. It's generally easy and comfortable for the vast majority of players.
2. Going from three to traditional can leave the player at a loss of right-hand technique, while the other way round--albeit with some loss of dexterity--is generally a smoother transition.
3. Hybrid-picking is a joke using the three-fingers method.
4. It's just plain prettier to use thumb and index. I know a lot of people say that looks don't matter, but a lot of people go to concerts to see cool bands, rather than hear good ones.

Also, with regards to your thread title, who the **** cares? It's not like you're the first person to do this, nor is it a spectacular display of ability. And just because you like both equally doesn't mean everyone else does. Grow the **** up.

/rant
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
I do three fingers,
Thumb, Pointer, and Middle
James Hetfield does the same
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I wasted the better part of my first year holding with 3 fingers. Since I switched my technique has trippled in half the time, not to mention I broke the anchoring habbit. Also, my sound is much cleaner now that I can use my picking hand to mute strings as well as my fretting hand. I had a very hard time doing pinch harmonics with that hold as well. [My pick angle was reversed.] Although I did loose some speed as far as trem picking, and had a hard time with string skipping but I think I will eclipse my old skill level before long.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Quote by Voodoo13
Guys honeslty i don't know why everybody doesn't just use 3 fingers for Picking.
I use 3 and the advantages are

Easier Pich Harmonics
No need for anchoring
Hand can rest on bridge
( if desired )

back yourself up. all i'm seeing is a bunch of claims which can easily be dismissed as bullshit.

easier pinch harmonics. how? i use two and i can do them just fine. any fret, any position, you name it. so how would it be to my advantage to use 3 fingers?

closer to 90 degree angle. and can be varied. are you ****ing kidding me. the angle can just as easily be varied with two fingers. so how is it better with 3?

no need for anchoring. no, there really isn't. because you've already lost the stability. you have to use more effort to hold the pick. you need to focus three fingertips on the pick, as opposed to no fingertips (since it's held with the side of the finger). so using 3, you need to use fingers and wrist. using 2, it's only wrist. there's less effort, less motion, higher efficiency. and who said the hand can't rest on the bridge using 2 fingers?

same speed picking. i won't say it's impossible to pick as fast, but you have to use more effort. it's less efficient. if you have to use a certain amount of effort to play a passage with 2 fingers on the pick, i guarantee you you'll be using more effort using 3 fingers on the pick, whether you're aware of it or not.

can change angles, etc. i don't know what shitty guitarists you've been listening to that can't sweep pick with 2 fingers. i don't know what shitty guitarists you've been listening to that can't change volume with 2 fingers. but that's simply not the case.

jwd brings up an excellent point. hybrid picking is even more limited with 3-finger picking. instead of having a pick and 3 fingers, you have a pick and 2 fingers. you're more limited.

somehow i get the feeling that you think this 3-finger method is better than the traditional way because your technique using the traditional way is subpar, and you never made the effort to rectify it.

long story short, though, is that if it works for you, that's great. keep using it if you like it. but if you think it works better than the traditional method, then you're only fooling yourself (and anyone else you may ever decide to teach).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by jwd724
^ This. I can't stand playing with three fingers.

As for the advantages of the traditional manner

1. It became the standard for a reason. It's generally easy and comfortable for the vast majority of players.
2. Going from three to traditional can leave the player at a loss of right-hand technique, while the other way round--albeit with some loss of dexterity--is generally a smoother transition.
3. Hybrid-picking is a joke using the three-fingers method.
4. It's just plain prettier to use thumb and index. I know a lot of people say that looks don't matter, but a lot of people go to concerts to see cool bands, rather than hear good ones.

Also, with regards to your thread title, who the **** cares? It's not like you're the first person to do this, nor is it a spectacular display of ability. And just because you like both equally doesn't mean everyone else does. Grow the **** up.

/rant

Actually for your information only did that to attract people like you to actually read the thread lol .....
Quote by Voodoo13
Easier Pich Harmonics
No need for anchoring
Hand can rest on bridge
( if desired )

So can you guys give me any reason why people even use the standard way what are the advantages And please don't say preference because i have tried both and are pretty comfortable
I think most people can do most, if not all those things you mentioned using the standard grip.
ive done the 21 day challenge and with it ive learned blitzkrieg and thats alot of harmonic minor which requires alot of pinky. Learn Harmonic minor scale patterns that incorporate melodies and such so you dont get bored while playing but still working out pinky. Using your pinky because very very helpful when stretching or playing at higher rates of speeds because you can make the stretches with less effort thus getting ready for the next string of notes.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100