I've got it nailed down to either another Jackson DKMG, one of the new Ibanez premium guitars, or an ESP EC1000 with a floyd. All similarly priced. The Ibanez is winning right now, but I keep wondering if I'll miss the heavy bottom end of the ec1000. I've owned a couple of Jacksons and I really like them, but I'm kind of looking for something different this time 'round, so...

Anybody got any advice? I play mostly eighties metal and noodle over the radio etc...
That you will ever own? What, are you dying of cancer or something?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Why not Warmoth your dreamguitar?
(yes it's a verb xD)
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
If it's the last you will ever own, it's the last you will ever buy. Henceforth, since one of the guitars has the same shape which makes this legitimate advice, Gibson 58' Les Paul Goldtop.
It's the last guitar you'll ever own and you're looking at mass-produced, Korean/Indonesian-made guitars?

At least get a custom or something... make it a worthwhile last guitar. You'll just grow out of those other ones eventually.
if it's the last one, build one or warmoth your favorite one. make it your dream guitar since it's the last one.

and why is it your last one?!
As far as I know, I'm not dying. In the past, I've never kept a guitar for more than about a year or so; but I'm sticking with it now and I am going to be very careful about buying the right guitar for me. I mostly like eighties-type heavy metal, and I am learning to shred. I'm already an intermediate legato player, but I suck at alternate picking, so I'll be playing mostly lead guitar stuff. I've heard that the Ibanez guitars have great necks and a great mid-rangy sound for soloing; but I also like the esp ec1000 with the floyd. I put Jackson in their because I've owned them in the past, and I like them.
^ custom.

warmoth,allparts and stewmac.

you really won't regret it.
hell, make your own body style if you want to.
EC-1000s and others in their price range are not worthy of being the last guitar you'll ever buy. If you're that hell-bent on only ever buying one more guitar, make it actually worthwhile and order a one-off custom build or at least get one of the better MIA/MIJ models. Something from the ESP Custom Shop or something along those lines. Look to be spending a good couple of grand. If you buy a MIK guitar or god forbid an MII guitar you will out grow it. Some Korean-made guitars can be very nice but they're not the kind of thing you use forever.

Also if you want the EC-1000 with the Floyd then forget about that LP "bottom end". Having a Floyd pretty much saps all the natural thickness of a guitar. The only way you get strong bass and low-mids with a Floyd is if you buy a really overwound and bass-heavy pickup to compensate.
I kind of felt the same way when I bought my Eclipse. I'd saved for it for ages, and I know my financial situation, as a Uni student in debt to the Student Loan Company, would probably not allow me to be in the situation of buying a guitar this expensive again. So I decided to go all out, and buy the guitar I'd been pining after for years.

I'd reccomend against an EC1000. They're great guitars, but for mass-produced guitars they're far, far too expensive.
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
LTD EC1000 FR
LTD H1007 FR

Bass
ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
Quote by grohl1987
Also if you want the EC-1000 with the Floyd then forget about that LP "bottom end". Having a Floyd pretty much saps all the natural thickness of a guitar. The only way you get strong bass and low-mids with a Floyd is if you buy a really overwound and bass-heavy pickup to compensate.

And this is bullshit. I own an Eclipse with a Floyd and there is plenty of LP style bottom end, more-so than my brothers Epiphone LP with a hardtail.
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
LTD EC1000 FR
LTD H1007 FR

Bass
ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
Epiphone LPs are frequently made of alder and various cheaper species of mahogany plus their pickups are overly bright trash. ESP and LTDS ECs aren't even the full LP thickness and have a smaller perimeter too, not to mention their usual ebony fretboards. Play a Gibson Les Paul and then you'll see what real thick tone is about and how much both the EC design and the Floyd saps that.

Plus as I understand it the Eclipse I FR has only ever come with active EMG pickups, which add a lot of artificial bass and mids. As I said, getting overly powerful pickups to compensate is one solution, evidently which you've got stock if you do indeed get any real low end presence out of your guitar. That's not always convenient though and it's an audibly different kind of low than the natural low resonance of a full size solid mahogany body with a hardtail.
Quote by grohl1987

Even without the Floyd it doesn't have the LP bottom end. The body's a LOT thinner than a regular LP, so it sounds more like an SG in my experience.

Not that there's anything wrong with SGs.

Sounds like what you really want is the high-end Ibanez. But if you really want it to last you forever, I'd recommend you go for a Prestige series. They're not that much more expensive than most of the Premiums, and they're made a lot better.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
yeah i was about to say. build your own. carvin with aftermarket pickups, warmoth something so its 100% your own. i can almost assure you a custom carvin has the same quality as any of those brands and will give you 100x the options with thier guitar builder menu.

warmoth is about the same but a little more required in the buying/assembly process. you can actually get a carvin built for you and delivered 100% assembled.

but as for a retail guitar? Suhr, PRS private stock? something? i mean the last guitar tour ever going to buy ever? that is a crazy statement. my mind would be blown if i had to think of that now.
Put down another vote for something high quality, custom or customizable. Carvins are well made- I don't know any unhappy Carvin owners and I DO know several blissfully happy ones- or check out a luthier in your area. Depending on the guy, luthiers start around $1K and go up from there.

(I own several Jon Kammerer guitars that I love, and he is but one of many out there. http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkgsale_005.htm)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you honestly, seriously think this will be your last guitar.

Save up, and go custom. You will not regret it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It's not going to be your last guitar.
If it is, buy yourself a pink stratocaster..
Joking. Thats reeetarded.
PRS Custom?
Or buy one of those mass produced guitars and customize it, many of the members here reccomend the warmoth website.
Only splurge if you really want it, because if your saying its going to your last, that's like saying "This is the Last Time I'm having Sexual Intercourse, EVER" then doing a 40 year old streetwalker who is rather quite vile and still smells of Bourbon and has genital warts, or "This is the last time I'm going to eat anything but freeze-dried astronaut dog food, EVER" then eat a cold pot of 2 minute noodles without the flavour sachet. I assume your losing interest in guitars.
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Jun 5, 2011,
Why will this be your last?

Anyway, you need to get your ass out there and play every model you can get your hands on. You don't even know what kind of neck you're most comfortable with, and yet you're deciding between these 3 for some reason?

If you really aren't going to buy another guitar after this (which I highly doubt), at least get the real deal. ESP Eclipses go for really cheap (compared to ESPs other models). Ibanez Prestiges are also cheap. Jackson USA is not so much, but their higher end Japanese stuff (neck through models) are very nice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last guitar you'll ever own? Get a Parker of PRS then. If you'll never buy another guitar, get a REALLY good one
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Guys... there is a problem here... I was in the same boat as him... Except I own an EC1000. I wanted something that almost no one out there has... and I got it. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445175

So the problem is... Even though my build isn't 100% done, I'm having so much fun doing it that I want to do it again... >.<