Hey guys. Ive had my strat for a while, and the bridge has always been flush with the body. I was at a guitar shop a few days ago, and I noticed the strats there had a raised bridge, just slightly, but it was there. Are strats supposed to have an angled bridge? I would think that it would have a better effect on the action and sustain..
It depends. An "angled" bridge means it has been set up to "float" which means you can pull the tremolo up, as well as down. It's just personal preference. I personally like my bridge floating, so that I can at least pull it up one semi-tone, sometimes I set it up to pull it up three or four but that messes with the action. That reminds me, the "bridge angle" can also affect the action.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
It depends on the player. Some people like having it float so they can whammy up. Some people keep it flush so they can change tunings on the fly. What's 'right' really depends on 'you.'
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
See, I thought the bridge angle was more of an action based thing, as opposed to the float or dive only. My guess is that the guitar was meant for the float because the saddles seem to be more appropriately placed when it is floating; theyre more straight.
the floating should not have any effect on the saddles. if anything, the more it floats the more of an angle the saddles are resting.

it shouldnt matter but you have to keep in mind that the strat trem is not really made to do crazy stuff on like a floyd. so if you plan on floating it, just dont go ape sh*t on it.