So, when I watch my teacher, videos of players on YouTube, or any half competent player, I've realised how bad my fret hand technique is I know that when you're playing the recommended technique is to keep all four fingers roughly parallel to the neck, but when I play, no matter how much I try, my fingers just curl up, which eventually hurts after a practice session. It makes it quite difficult to play sometimes and I was wondering if I could get help on how to get rid of it? Because I know I'll never improve much, and I've accepted I'm pretty pathetic at guitar, if this isn't sorted. And I have my Grade Two exam next week, so I don't want to lose marks for that D: Thanks in advance
What exactly do you mean by "curling up"? Can you post a video or picture or something for us to see?
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Here we go. This was what happened when playing the last ascending phrase of the Fade To Black intro solo. I do have one from the side but it won't upload.

Ah, thanks man. It does hurt now and then, and it means I can't seem to get better. Thanks for the link
This is left me a little confused. i was told its best to fret with the very tips of your fingers wich naturaly leaves my fingers slightly leaning in curved a bit. is that bad technique or just differant technique? i duno.
Yeah, you want to fret with the tips of your fingers, but the curve is more gentle. Relax your fingers and they curve.

What we're talking about is stuff like the middle finger in the pic provided - when the finger curls up into the hand even when not being used.
Quote by lfcagger
Here we go. This was what happened when playing the last ascending phrase of the Fade To Black intro solo. I do have one from the side but it won't upload.

Lol is that Modern Warfare 2? xD

And personally i think you can fret however you want to, so far it's COMFORTABLE. So if it hurts, you might want to start training yourself to press less on the strings, or even to lower the actions.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Freepower
Yeah, you want to fret with the tips of your fingers, but the curve is more gentle. Relax your fingers and they curve.

What we're talking about is stuff like the middle finger in the pic provided - when the finger curls up into the hand even when not being used.

brilliant thanks. Ill keep my eyes open for that thankyou.