If you just had some Squier Standard Strat laying around, and a bunch of money what would you do it?

Its current configuration:
Black w/White Pickguard
Rosewood fingerboard, maple neck
SSS
Small style headstock
2-point Trem

Personally I'd:
Slap stickers on it
Get a black pickguard
Paint the guitar orange
Get an HSH configuration
Coil taps
Kill switch

what would you do?
play it
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
I've always wanted to put a super-vee on a strat to try it out, so I quess that.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by HowToFly
play it

ZING!!!!

But seriously, LSR Roller Nut + Roller Saddles + Locking tuners = SUPER TREMOLO ACTION!
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
For real? Sell it and put the $10 you get from selling it with the rest of the $ and get a good guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
At the end of the day, if you take a cheap guitar and do lots of upgrades, you still have a cheap guitar, with all the bells and whistles...

that said, something I'd like to do one day is get a strat with EMG-SA active single-coil pickups, an EMG-SPC midrange controller and an EMG-EXG expander which boosts treble and bass like David Gilmour's....

then I guess, you could take those electronics and put them on a higher quality strat at a later date if you want.
---
scallop the hell out of the neck and go crazy with diminished arpeggios and the harmonic minor scale!!!
Buy a nicer fender strat, play that for a gig, then smash the shit out of the Squire on the last song.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Carve back the headstock, nah, replace the neck with a 24 Fret scalloped, Maple with Ebony fingerboard....
Remove the pickgaurd.
Rewire the circuitry and such and only have 1 tone and 1 volume knob.
Install a 3 way pickup selector, which will control H-H Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
Replace the vibrato system with a tune o matic style Hardtail bridge.
Paint the guitar Matte Black with Gloss black objects and logos such as stars, razors, pentagrams, weapons, all over in a pokadot formation (Look epic, imagine the differences in shine).
Of course, I'd modify the cutaway to allow easier access to the higher frets.
Install .54-.11's and dune to Drop D. Epic.
Or install .60-.12's and tune to B Standard. More epic.
Cranked through a Peavy Vyper or Mesa Boogie. Super epic.
METAL!
Honestly, modifying a Squier is like modifying School Meat. Even though it has macaroni and some good sauce, its still School Meat.
at that point, you would probably get moremoney for the parts individually parted then you would for the whole guitar. sad but true.

the squier name is such a stigma.
I'd replace the pickups and the pickguard, and probably the electronics as well. I'd also get rid of all the hardware and replace it with better stuff, and probably throw a new neck on it too. After that, I might replace the body with something better too.
Quote by dkeenan
Honestly, modifying a Squier is like modifying School Meat. Even though it has macaroni and some good sauce, its still School Meat.

Someone jumped on the bandwagon rather quickly. You've never played a good squier, hell, you've probably never played a squier. You probably took the opinions from dozens of other people who diss them as beginners guitars without forming an opinion of your own.

Squier has some real gems if you can find them. And when you upgrade them they compete with fender strats easily. Especially if you know what you're doing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by dkeenan

Yeah, so....tell me, does your expensive guitar sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LJ-AvTa4aM

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeGOvxZ-Nus

Didn't think so, now listen and shut up bandwagoner.
Quote by valennic
Someone jumped on the bandwagon rather quickly. You've never played a good squier, hell, you've probably never played a squier. You probably took the opinions from dozens of other people who diss them as beginners guitars without forming an opinion of your own.

Squier has some real gems if you can find them. And when you upgrade them they compete with fender strats easily. Especially if you know what you're doing.

That's great and all and I'm sure it helps you feel good about yourself to defend Squier, but the OP specified a standard series.
Quote by Pac_man0123
That's great and all and I'm sure it helps you feel good about yourself to defend Squier, but the OP specified a standard series.

But he was bandwagoning

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I say keep the squire, start by swapping out the pups. If you like how it sounds put on better hardware, If you don't like it after the pup swap get rid of it.

Just because you have "a bunch of money" to spend on it, it doesnt mean you should spend it all at once. Take your time, do some research, and find out if you think it is worth it or not.
Last edited by jsspang at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by valennic

Well, I do own a Squier - however its real low end (still plays well). A friend told me that its pretty bad so I just took his word for it

My own opinion is that it plays fine, but that is NOT in comparison to a Fender. So half of my opinion is a mixture of others'.

And yes, I was bandwagoning.
Last edited by dkeenan at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by dkeenan
Well, I do own a Squier - however its real low end (still plays well). A friend told me that its pretty bad so I just took his word for it

My own opinion is that it plays fine, but that is NOT in comparison to a Fender. So half of my opinion is a mixture of others'.

And yes, I was bandwagoning.

Acceptable.

I get touchy, I love the squier bullets, and I'm a bit biased I will admit.

My apologies if I came across an asswad

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Acceptable.

I get touchy, I love the squier bullets, and I'm a bit biased I will admit.

My apologies if I came across an asswad

You are an "asswad" bullets DO suck. That said it is a standard. Not great, but I think may be worth upgrading. I have a standard fatstrat is it is miles beyond a bullet. That said.... it is not a high end guitar.
Quote by DisasterMatt
If you just had some Squier Standard Strat laying around, and a bunch of money what would you do it?

Its current configuration:
Black w/White Pickguard
Rosewood fingerboard, maple neck
SSS
Small style headstock
2-point Trem

Personally I'd:
Slap stickers on it
Get a black pickguard
Paint the guitar orange
Get an HSH configuration
Coil taps
Kill switch

what would you do?

1) Locking tuners

2) Paint it cream, light gray or any other "off white" color

3) Mirror pickguard

4) Get some good quality pickups Duncans or Bare Knuckles.
Then wire the new HSH config like this
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier