Hi all, I've been playing for 25 years, started out just learning Hendrix, Led Zep, and Black Sabbath licks...I started out right as Guns n Roses and that whole scene was coming out. Older Metallica like Master of Puppets and Justice I learned through and through. Since then I've played everything from Hawaiian slack key to Slayer to John Mayer to Phish and all that...I love all kinds of music, I go through phases of listening to and playing different things all the time.

My problem is that I just realized I haven't touched my guitars in like a month. I have ZERO motivation to play. I realized early on that you need to have a good stand and keep your guitar(s) out in the open where they're easy to see and grab and just start playing. That was always my advice to friends and kids that want to get serious and learn...keep your axe easily accessible. It hasn't helped me. I don't know what to do...it's actually kind of affecting me psychologically. I've always identified myself as a GUITAR PLAYER, but I don't know....I need the feeling again of WANTING to pick it up again. I'm so far from that feeling I just don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Listen to some new music?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Perhaps pick up the guitar whether you feel like playing or not... sometimes just starting is the hard bit, then once you start playing you feel good about it...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Get other instruments. Like learning the piano has made me very motivated because now I can create something on there and create a guitar part to it. Bass can help to. Create a funky bass line and play guitar over it.
With new instruments the possibilities seem even more endless.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Thanks guys...Once I realized I had a problem I did like you said and forced myself to pick it up and play...I have been learning to play drums a little bit but I stopped when my 3 year old son lost my sticks, guess I better go buy new ones? I think I just have to force myself to play.
This is my first post so bear with me. I've been playing for about 21 years. Picked up the Guitar when i was 10 and kept on going. However there was about 7 to 8 years where i didn't even think about my guitar and just kinda went on with life.
the ONLY reason i'm back playing now is a buddy of mine thought it would be a fun little side project to start an acoustic band that plays around in the local bars here. Nothing serious just a couple good ol boys getting on the stage and picking around a bit. It really got me back into playing AND singing, and now i can't imagine why i ever put it down.
Start you a little side project. Maybe invite some of the guys over just to pick around with the family or what-not. I'm telling you, its like therapy for the soul.

-Steve
Join a band dude. It'll supply an external reason to pick up the guitar. I would not play guitar not nearly as much as I do if I didn't have an actual reason to do it. I'm always tinkering around, thinking out how I should approach a guitar part for a song, learning songs and writing solos or solo structures if I'm not completely happy with the one in the last gig.

I'm also biased by my dad's advice when I was 16 - "if you don't play gigs, guitar is just a party trick". Guess that stayed with me.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
listen to some jazz, man. it makes the majority of the rock and metal you know how to play seem like a kindergartener can do it - and it gives you a whole new motivation to play guitar.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Been playing for 26 years, sounds like we came up cutting our teeth on the same way, at the same time!

Kind of echoing what Steve said (great first post bro, welcome and hope you post more!) you kind of need a reason to play after a while, like some external application, be it a couple buddies to jam with. At the school and store I run its easy to find people to jam. Maybe locally for you, there are some guitar clubs or little jam sessions that are held here or there, these are the things that start to make it fun again, not to mention the comraderie from meeting other like minded players.

Good luck man, and welcome!

Best,

Sean