ok, so ive made a few threads about 7 strings and such, but ive narrowed it down to 2 different ones, that im torn between. the price difference is also about 500$

im thinking of the:

scheter c-7 hellrasier FR (1000$)
OFR, coil tapping EMGs, 26.5 scale, Set neck/ultra access, mahogany w/ maple top

OR

Jackson Slat-3 7 (1500)
-FRT-02000, neck thru, 25.5 scale, normal EMGs, Alder.

which would you choose and why? im really torn between both, they both seem nice, and i could come to like the neck on either
What tunings are you going to use?
Mahogany and Alder are on two totally different ends of the tone spectrum. Mahogany is dark and middy and Alder is really bright so you might want to take that into consideration.
Is the coil tapping necessary for your playing?
Are you going to use the floyd alot?
How often are you past the 15th fret?

Personally, I'd go for the Schecter for the cost effectiveness. They are suuuuper sexty looking too with all the abolone. And cause you can probably get it for $500 or $600 used.
The Shecter, you'll love the longer scale and the mahogany.
Set neck = Bonus.
But assuming FR is Floyd Rose, I;d get the hardtail version if their is one.
It is extremely diffucult to change tunings on a Floyd Rose, and often doing so can damage the system.
Besides, hard tail's require far less maitence.
Unless your dead set on doing Alexi Laiho-style divebombs and sreeching horsies, I'd get the hardtail.
METAL!
ok, forgot to say; itd pretty much always stay in B standard, coil tapping isnt necessary.

im pretty set on a floyd because i dont have one, and am ok with the added maintanance.
i wouldnt always begoing up past 15th fret, but easily getting to 24 is a must for me.

right now i have a fender tele which is alder/maple and a gibson flying v which is all mahogany. the difference i find is more in the pickups than anything else for me. id prefer mahogany but am pretty indifferent between mahogany and alder.

also i hate abalone, but i could put up with it but i just find it kind of ugly, and the schecter inlays really bother me. but other than that it seems really solid, but so does the jackson :S

also, i prefer short scales, i can deal with 25.5, but im most comfotable with 24.75 so im not sure about a 26.5 scale length
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jun 5, 2011,
If the abalone bothers you, I'd get a Blackjack ATX. They are on the same level as the Hellraisers, but without the abalone, different inlays, different finishes and the ATX's have Active Seymour Duncan Blackouts (which I hear are better than the EMGs, but thats only opinion.) The non-ATX ones have normal passive Seymours I believe.

The 25.5" scale will cause no problems if your going to be in B standard all the time. However, the 25.5" scale on my Ibanez RG7421 has caused me to special order strings. I need a 68 on the lowest string for Drop G#, while on a 26.5 or 27, a 62 or something would do just fine most likely.

And the difference would mostly be the pickups between the Strat and V. But that's because that is Single Coil vs. Humbucker. Trust me, with experience I've noticed the wood changing tone alot. When it comes to what produces most of the brightness/darkness in natural tone from your guitar, it's probably 40% wood and 60% pups.

Have you thought about an Ibanez dude? I swear by the Japanese models. Maybe take a look at an RG1527 Prestige. Basswood (right inbetween alder and mahogany on the tone spectrum) 25.5 scale, 24 frets, great access, damn good bridge (same level or close to an OFR) . $1300, so you'd have $200 left in your budget to throw actives in it if you want to.
Quote by Ultraussie
The Shecter, you'll love the longer scale and the mahogany.
Set neck = Bonus.
But assuming FR is Floyd Rose, I;d get the hardtail version if their is one.
It is extremely diffucult to change tunings on a Floyd Rose, and often doing so can damage the system.
Besides, hard tail's require far less maitence.
Unless your dead set on doing Alexi Laiho-style divebombs and sreeching horsies, I'd get the hardtail.

Yeah, if you don't even bother to figure out how it works before ****ing around with it. It's just a lot more work to change tunings. I would recommend a hardtail on a 7 or 8, though, due to all of its other benefits.
I'd get the Jackson, because I think it looks way better than the Schecter, it's neck through, and I like the neck better than Schecter necks. I also respect Jackson a lot more as a company.

That's just me though, and doesn't help you at all.

From your posts, you seem a lot more set on the Jackson. It's a better quality guitar than the Schecter, if it means anything to you.

Also, the Schecter also has an FRT, not an OFR. I'm not sure how they get away with saying that they have OFRs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Also, the Schecter also has an FRT, not an OFR. I'm not sure how they get away with saying that they have OFRs.

Evidence?
I don't doubt you, cause the guitars are really cheap for having OFR's, but I don't see how they could get away with saying they are OFRs.
Quote by Levi79
Evidence?
I don't doubt you, cause the guitars are really cheap for having OFR's, but I don't see how they could get away with saying they are OFRs.

This is an FR on a Hellraiser http://electricguitarelectric.com/images/electric-guitar-reviews/91VzBMzmJpL._AA1500_.jpg

The Korean made FRs have bevels on the back of the saddles, like is shown there. Real OFRs don't.

This is a real OFR http://www.originalfloydrose.com/images/17918359_hehs___.jpg

And another pic of the Korean FRT, with the bevels http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w128/rockydoggie/Floyd04.jpg

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This is an FR on a Hellraiser http://electricguitarelectric.com/images/electric-guitar-reviews/91VzBMzmJpL._AA1500_.jpg

The Korean made FRs have bevels on the back of the saddles, like is shown there. Real OFRs don't.

This is a real OFR http://www.originalfloydrose.com/images/17918359_hehs___.jpg

And another pic of the Korean FRT, with the bevels http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w128/rockydoggie/Floyd04.jpg

Interesting, but it's gotta still be a great trem if everyone loves them enough to believe they are OFR's.
Oh I'm not saying they're not good trems. They are. They're barely even different than OFRs really, they're almost the same thing. I just have a thing where I'm annoyed when people don't call stuff what it actually is. Like when people call their LTD-50s ESPs. Ugh. XD

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well im not considering ibanez because their necks are too thin for me.
and im set on haveing a trem on the guitar. i wont be changing tunings on it, so there shouldnt be a problem with that.

how does the FRT compare to the FRT-02000? is it the same thing?

and where is the scehcter made vs the jackson?
ive heard the schecter is korean made while the jackson is japanese. is that true? because yes, build quality means alot to me.

and ya, im kind of leaning towards the jackson, but the extra 500$ for it is causing hestation for me, even though i have played the jackson before
Have you looked at the LTD-MH417? Maple Neck Through Mahogany, EMG's, neck between Jackson and Schecter. Most probably what I'm saving for at the moment.
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK
I'm not a schecter fan, but the 26.5 scale will make a huge difference.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Seanthesheep

how does the FRT compare to the FRT-02000? is it the same thing?

An FRT is an FRT. The number just indicates the color.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X