Page 1 of 4
So, a little under two weeks ago, this thread happened, then we got on this little tangent, and then everyone in the thread at the time agreed that it'd make an awesome album, and that we need more out-there ideas and concept albums and the like in community stuff, which lead to this thread. Then, being a forgetful sonnuvabitch as I am, I forgot to post this for a while, but then I didn't!

And so, without further ado, I present a UG Community Album, the Story of Albus the Albatross!

A few simple rules:

1. Only original music and/or covers of trad/standards is allowed, but please keep covers to a minimum.

2. Singing is approved of. We all love playing, and we're going to have some instrumental tracks, but the vast majority of concept albums have singing, so we want some! You don't have to be Freddie Mercury or Aretha Franklin or have an amazing voice, you just have to be able to carry a tune.

3. Tracks must be at least 1:00. I'd like to keep this just to prevent an album of 40 one-minute songs.

4. Collaborations are allowed and encouraged. A big part of community albums is collaborating on something awesome. Making music together is a keen example of this. So, if you want to collab, do!

5. Stick to the theme. Remember, this is a concept album/rock opera/ear film/etc., there is a plot, so don't submit something with no relation to the rest of the album whatsoever.

Group:

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/albatross/

Once your name is added to the list below, please join the group to make keeping track of and discussing things much easier!

Participants:

Number - Name - Additional jobs - Tracks done
1. Necrosis1193
2. BladeSlinger
3. Henkdemachtige
4. Benonbass1
5. Saint78
6. Zigsfi
7. L2112Lif
8. JustRooster
9. Valennic - 7-string overdubs
10. TheZephyrSon
11. Ethan_hanus
12. Primus2112
13. Mario61
14. Gaiad
15. Julz127
16. LostLegion - Cover art
17. TheReverend724
18. Jimmyled - Cover art
19. BrokenDstring
20. Ziphoblat
21. TheTones
22. GezzyDiversion
23. Fat g0r0T
24. Horsedick.MPEG

We're also looking for someone dedicated to the album artwork. If you're an artist, once in the group, send us a sample!

Signup deadline is June 10th, after which, based on the number of people we have, we'll assign one for submissions.

Edit:

L2112Lif's Collab etiquette(Please read if you want to collab with someone, in order to make people's lives easy):

Some info if you're going to do Collaborations AND if we have one person mix everything...

MAKE SURE YOUR INDIVIDUAL TRACKS INCLUDE TIME DATA. I work in Logic, a bunch of you probably use Cubase, some Protools, and the smart ones work in Reaper. MOST of these don't have project files that can be opened by another DAW, so you'll need to move raw Audio around. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TIME DATA, and TRY TO LEAVE A NOTE DESCRIBING WHATS HAPPENING.

Make your tracks descriptive, and have when each one comes in. If at ALL possible, TRY TO START AND END THE TRACKS AT THE SAME PLACE (It will make your job easier). If you can't do that, then KEEP AN EXTERNAL RECORD (In like, lets say... Notepad) and SEND WITH THE AUDIO.

Okay? Lets break it down
1. Make descriptive track names
2. Check to see if you can save time data for other DAWs
3. Keep an external record of what starts where
4. Try to get your tracks to start/end at the same time (A bit difficult with MIDI)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 7, 2011,
How do i help with this musically if I myself don´t have recording material? If there´s a way how then i might do it.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
This sounds awesome! Unfortunately I have no recording equipment.

I could however, do synths n' stuff if possible/needed.

Edit: I can also write stuff too if that helps
Last edited by benonbass1 at Jun 5, 2011,
I'm in, I just finished an instrumental track and I'd like to collab with someone else singing on it
you're a stone fox
Edit: ^Excellent!

Quote by Henkdemachtige
How do i help with this musically if I myself don´t have recording material? If there´s a way how then i might do it.

Well, if you can write parts out and/or help with album art, the first would be a huge help for when people are low on creativity, and the second would be great in-general!

Quote by benonbass1
This sounds awesome! Unfortunately I have no recording equipment.

I could however, do synths n' stuff if possible/needed.

Works for me - Anything is helpful, so long as it follows the plot!

Will send you both a group invite later toni - Actually, I'll just make the damn thing public.

Edit: Alright, group is now public, feel free to join gents.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^Excellent! .

As soon as I get someone else to sing on it it's done, to everyone else, the song is modern-rock-ish. Just ask me and I'll give you the track.
you're a stone fox
When is the deadline for this? I'd love to help (it would be my first song ever) but I got my final exams for this semester this week and next. I've got half a song written, would just need to change the lyrics to Albus to Albatross, and I'd need to figure out how to record properly. If the deadline isn't too close I'd like to try. I'm not very good, but it can't hurt i suppose
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Quote by L2112Lif
I could contribute vocals if anyone needs them... I guess. There was another concept album here that ended up falling through.

I have a track you could sing on.
you're a stone fox
Quote by mario61
When is the deadline for this? I'd love to help (it would be my first song ever) but I got my final exams for this semester this week and next. I've got half a song written, would just need to change the lyrics to Albus to Albatross, and I'd need to figure out how to record properly. If the deadline isn't too close I'd like to try. I'm not very good, but it can't hurt i suppose

Deadline to enter is June 10th at the moment. The deadline to record your submissions hasn't been decided yet, as it really depends on how many people we have, how many tracks each can do, and how expansive the plot gets from our five-sentence basis. And don't worry - the community albums aren't about being the greatest, they're about having a good time and making music!

Quote by rockfan7
I could try!

Welcome aboard!

Edit:

Quote by L2112Lif
I could contribute vocals if anyone needs them... I guess. There was another concept album here that ended up falling through.

Good to have a dedicated singer! And don't worry, I don't intend to let this one fail - At most, there's three months, so there's not going to be any sort of endless fine-tuning that gets incredibly pointless, and there will be focus to meet the deadline.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Saint78
I have a track you could sing on.

Cookin' with gas, alright. I'm still looking for a place where I won't be disturbing my apartment neighbors... I feel like I might end up recording in my friends apartment because he has an end.

I might also contribute a song, and I have a thing with constructing overtures and interludes, if you feel like that would be appropriate.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
Cookin' with gas, alright. I'm still looking for a place where I won't be disturbing my apartment neighbors... I feel like I might end up recording in my friends apartment because he has an end.

I might also contribute a song, and I have a thing with constructing overtures and interludes, if you feel like that would be appropriate.

With my taste in rock operas, it absolutely would be.

Quote by L2112Lif

Here's the track it's actually the first song I've written! If there's a part you dont like I'll change it.

EDIT: Hold on I have to put it in a .zip

Doubledit: Won't upload
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Jun 5, 2011,
Count me in! Can we flesh out the albatross mythos at all, or is the story set in stone? I have an idea for a jazz tune about a girl/love interest who is somehow involved with the entire plot.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-Alan Kay

Check out my original classical composition here !
Quote by necrosis1193
With my taste in rock operas, it absolutely would be.

If you have GP6 I can upload the overture for my current project as a sample of my overture abilities. Its sans-drums at the moment though, I haven't had a chance to really sit down and play through it.
Quote by L2112Lif
If you have GP6 I can upload the overture for my current project as a sample of my overture abilities. Its sans-drums at the moment though, I haven't had a chance to really sit down and play through it.

I have GP6, and I'll have a look at it, maybe give you a crit
you're a stone fox
I want in. For shits and giggles. I've been itching to do something with my 7 string lately.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by L2112Lif
I've got it right Here.

Alright man, I didn't really like very beginning with just the synth so I added a little guitar there.
you're a stone fox
Count me in.

Also, willing to collab with anyone. I can play violin, sing, play guitar, bass.

Violin's probably my best, I can sing a mid tenor range but my voice is better suited for backing/harmony (can sing lead tho).

I should be getting a mic so the quality of my recording should improve.
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Zigsfi
Count me in! Can we flesh out the albatross mythos at all, or is the story set in stone? I have an idea for a jazz tune about a girl/love interest who is somehow involved with the entire plot.

I'll get back to you on that when I can talk to BladeSlinger about fleshing the plot out some more.

Quote by L2112Lif

Unfortunately I don't. It does have MIDI files though if memory serves, could you upload those?

Quote by JustRooster
I'm in.

Excellent!

Quote by valennic
I want in. For shits and giggles. I've been itching to do something with my 7 string lately.

Question for future reference: Would you be willig to collab with someone if they need a 7-string if they don't have one?

Quote by TheZephyrSon
Count me in.

Also, willing to collab with anyone. I can play violin, sing, play guitar, bass.

Violin's probably my best, I can sing a mid tenor range but my voice is better suited for backing/harmony (can sing lead tho).

I should be getting a mic so the quality of my recording should improve.

Glad to hear! Will make a note of it in a thread in the group later.

All of you are now on the OP, as well.

Quote by necrosis1193

Unfortunately I don't. It does have MIDI files though if memory serves, could you upload those?

It does, but I don't know if I trust its MIDI-OUT...

Yeah, it sounds pretty damn bad through MIDI, doesn't take the bends or the tied notes...

BUT, exporting it as WAV kept everything right.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jun 5, 2011,
Dude. DUDE.

I'm so in.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Alright, well in that case, sign me up. I wont' be able to do anything til next week when my exams are over. But I'll try and get something done
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Quote by ethan_hanus
What kind of tracks do you want? I'll submit some of my stuff, I got a bunch of em.

Anything is fine, as long as it's not too heavy - Heavier shades of metal are fine in moderation, but as it's a community album, we want everyone in the community to enjoy it, including those who dislike that level of heaviness. Also, it's a lot easier to justify going from rock to a piano/acoustic ballad than rock to deathcore.

Quote by L2112Lif

Incredibly tired, and don't have headphones. Will listen first thing tomorrow morning though.

Quote by Primus2112
Dude. DUDE.

I'm so in.

Added.

Quote by mario61
Alright, well in that case, sign me up. I wont' be able to do anything til next week when my exams are over. But I'll try and get something done

Done and done. And don't worry, something like that comes first, but we'd love to have you if you can.

Definitely willing to give this to a shot. Haven't been successful with finishing any songs lately, perhaps this can help fix that. Maybe I can collab with someone(Looking at you Zephyr)?

I have decent recording equipment, so that's a bonus.

Sign me up!
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Last edited by Gaiad at Jun 6, 2011,
I'm in.

Recording first song in my profile.

Shotty track 20.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
I think I'll try something. Not promising anything though.

Sign me up.

When will the submission deadline be?

I'd also like to do the artwork.
Last edited by jimmyled at Jun 6, 2011,
Hey TS, I e-mailed my track to L2112lif so he can add vocal, It's kinda up to him when it's done. Just thought I let you know.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Hey TS, I e-mailed my track to L2112lif so he can add vocal, It's kinda up to him when it's done. Just thought I let you know.

Its kinda difficult to add vocals to a MIDI track man, there's not much there in the way of nuance or expression to get ahold of...
Count me in, even though I don't know the story...yet!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by necrosis1193
Anything is fine, as long as it's not too heavy - Heavier shades of metal are fine in moderation, but as it's a community album, we want everyone in the community to enjoy it, including those who dislike that level of heaviness. Also, it's a lot easier to justify going from rock to a piano/acoustic ballad than rock to deathcore.

Incredibly tired, and don't have headphones. Will listen first thing tomorrow morning though.

Added.

Done and done. And don't worry, something like that comes first, but we'd love to have you if you can.

Oh, ok, how about this, one of my best recent works, not too heavy, but everyone seems to love it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1034597&songID=10710552
I'd like in on this one. Probably have to steal my bands vocalist for some vox if they're obligatory as seen as I can't sing to save my life, but should be fun.
Page 1 of 4