I have no idea what to call it, but I feel like I'm at a cliff. My skills haven't been improving, and I've been considering lessons, but I seem to be getting nowhere. Is this normal? Is there anyway to get past this?

I think I need a challenge, but I can't find anything that would be at my level, haha.

Help please?
yeah ive been in that for a while now, everything i write i throw away etc. all i can say is if you learn off songs tackle harder ones and just practice harder things.
How would I go about doing that? My "routine" is practicing songs I already know, attempting to learn new ones, and just ****ing around.

Now that I think about, I really don't have much that i practice with..
It's hard to tell what level you're at. If it's any help although you do get better at a faster rate when you start learning guitar (or anything), your skills will eventually plateau and you won't realise that you've actually become better until you play something and go "hey, I couldn't play that a year ago!".

Also skill on the guitar isn't just measured by speed, for example I've noticed lately that I have great clarity as to note choice and the chords being played, and am able to structure a solo out ahead of time, whilst I'm still playing it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Seattlantis
Now that I think about, I really don't have much that i practice with..

knowing is half the battle. take some time to objectively measure what you can and can't do.

then work on what you can't do.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Sean0913
What's stopping you from going beyond considering them, and not going with them?

Best,

Sean

Money, haha. And I really don't know a legitimate reason beyond that. I would like to get one, but I have had one in the past, and it just didn't fit me.

But I do realize I can't teach myself everything, so I will need a mentor at some point.

Quote by AeolianWolf
knowing is half the battle. take some time to objectively measure what you can and can't do.

then work on what you can't do.

Alright, good point. Thanks.
Quote by Seattlantis

But I do realize I can't teach myself everything, so I will need a mentor at some point.

I offer a free mentoring service, just click the link, read my story and send me a PM telling me more about yourself, playing history and your needs.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Calibos
+1
bseo125 is right, you should focus on practicing the techniques you want to learn. If you feel your skills aren't improving (what specifically?) then it's probably because you've stopped trying to improve them.

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Seattlantis
I have no idea what to call it, but I feel like I'm at a cliff. My skills haven't been improving, and I've been considering lessons, but I seem to be getting nowhere. Is this normal? Is there anyway to get past this?

I think I need a challenge, but I can't find anything that would be at my level, haha.

Help please?

I find that alot of this is mental, and quite normal. Personally I think you're better off not looking for a challenge, but rather looking to get enjoyment out of playing. There will be plenty of challenges along the way, thats part of it, but as a means of motivation I find that the desire to play music and the satisfaction you get when you do, is a more sustainable driver.

In short..... don't worry about it. Play, learn, listen, study.... enjoy. If you dig what you're doing, and do it often enough, you'll always continue to improve.

ps... if you're looking for a teacher, I do teach online via skype. 1st lesson is free.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by Calibos
+1
bseo125 is right, you should focus on practicing the techniques you want to learn. If you feel your skills aren't improving (what specifically?) then it's probably because you've stopped trying to improve them.

I respectfully disagree

If you have plateaued on technique, stop trying and focus on something more important like ear training, sight reading, theory, etc. Mix, repeat ..

There is no end to what one can learn about music and how to approach it with guitar -- saying your stuck is like saying you are trying one thing and not getting there ... so -- try other things!!!