Yes, no teacher is identical. Thats is fact; but what I want to know is what I MAY expect from a teacher.

I'm beginning my first lesson at my local music store in 2 and 1/2 weeks now. I'm really thrilled at getting these lessons, but I just want to know the gist of what I will be learning. My guess is theory, but what do I know.
tabs from a greenday song, chords, and flight of the bumble bee.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
My first lesson:
Teacher asked me questions: What do you like to do? In any sports?
Just trying to get a feel for what you are like!
Then we went over parts of the guitar...
Parts of guitar maybe
Simple finger patterns
Names of strings, maybe note names up the first three frets on a couple strings.
How to hold the pick

Most importantly : teacher figuring out where you want to go with lessons. Learning jazz is hugely different compared to learning blues/rock.

Make sure he actually teaches how to play guitar, not just how to play tabs.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Quote by dragoro
Parts of guitar maybe
Simple finger patterns
Names of strings, maybe note names up the first three frets on a couple strings.
How to hold the pick

Most importantly : teacher figuring out where you want to go with lessons. Learning jazz is hugely different compared to learning blues/rock.

Make sure he actually teaches how to play guitar, not just how to play tabs.

A thousand times this. I got lucky, in a sense; my teacher is willing to do both.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Freepower
It depends on you as well as the teacher. We have no information about either, what you want us to say?

Just things that I should expect from my first lesson, so I'm not clueless when I show up.
I kind of thought that was the point? If you go to a lesson already and know how to do everything he teaches you then it's kind of pointless. Just go there not expecting anything and let him teach you.
Quote by dkeenan
Just things that I should expect from my first lesson, so I'm not clueless when I show up.

To be honest, being clueless is pretty harmless when you're going somewhere to learn.

I usually teach people how to read tab and play a few single string riffs. Presumably you're beyond that stage so the teacher will work with you depending on your strengths, weaknesses, goals and personality. So once again, could be anything.

Although a good thing to do is thing about what you want to learn, and tell your teacher. As a teacher, I love having students who know their goals - it really helps me plan lessons and work at long term progression.
i started off self trained, so i never really had a proper first lesson, but my friend started guitar recently and they went over notes, frets, strings, chords etc.
but it does also depend if they're group lessons or not
It wasn't so long ago for me.... my teacher went over the parts of the guitar, asked what kind of music I listened to, and gave me some chords with simple strumming to practice. I am still pretty clueless, but I am getting better all the time.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
If you can play guitar more easily while standing on your head and spinning, then go ahead, even if its not what everyone else does.

had my first lesson today!
It was cool.
Teacher asked what music i would like to play (by mentioning classical got myself J.S. Bachs "badinerie" to learn as homework), if i know how to read tabs and few questions about theory knowledge (if i know how to construct a scale, chords etc.) .
Then he asked to play something i know to see how my fingers move over fretboard.

Thats about it.

After that beggins learning.
This lesson he gave me a few licks in A minor that involve string skipping since thats lacking in my technique.

First lesson over
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.