Page 1 of 2
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this :s feel free to move or delete if needed.

I was wondering which pickups were best for achieving the Killswitch Engage type pinch harmonics. they sound so perfect.

I would like to know which is best for a 6 string guitar, aswell as a 7 string.

Thank you so much in advance,
~Andrew
pinch harmonics are 99% technique, however, high output pickups certainly dont hurt. killswitch uses emgs. start there and check out some of the effects they use, i think i hear some chorus in there which helps smooth it out.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
not to brag but my technique is pretty good, I have that wide vibrato down, its just they sound a little bland. but KsE's have this almost 'bubble' sound to it which always catches my ear. and I mean (other than my technique) if EMGs can give me that rich bubble sound I'm not afraid to dish out that kind of money
just instaled a seymour duncan sh-6 distortion into my old 2002 schecter omen. The pickups that are now coming out of that are mental. The pickup has a ceramic magnet and is very, very high output for a passive. If you buy a passive you won't have to make any modifications to your guitar, just solder it straight in.
Quote by iRaiseTheDead
so basically the higher the output the greater your harmonics will come out?

Not quite. Higher output helps, but technique is what makes them sound the best. Want to get better pinch harmonics? Practice your technique
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
^ +1

wide vibrato.

that being said some pickups are better at harmonics than others... emg81 is pretty good. so's the bareknuckle miracle man.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was wondering this exact question about 2 weeks ago. I've heard that EMG's are BEAST at pinch harmonics. Also Bareknuckle's higher gained pickups (Nailbomb for example).

BUT...as these guys are saying...its alot of technique
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Bill Lawrence USA L500XL

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Low output pups + high gain amp + good technique = bliss

but yeah the EMGs are a safe bet.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
This is funny.
My pinch harmonics sound like crap on my Roland Cube 15X, but way better on one of those MGs...

Probably the only good sound an MG makes.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
pinch harmonics are 99% technique, however, high output pickups certainly dont hurt. killswitch uses emgs. start there and check out some of the effects they use, i think i hear some chorus in there which helps smooth it out.

dont want to seem a dick but the guys who say this just haven't tried it with bad quality pickups

if you do so you won't say so
tbh i think its mostly about technique, i can get pinched harmonics out of my mates starter strat and his fender strat as easily as i can out of my cort which has emgs took me a while to learn though, practice every day and you will get them!
Lol best pickups for palm muting, vibrato, legato, stacatto
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Quote by Vendetta V
dont want to seem a dick but the guys who say this just haven't tried it with bad quality pickups

yeah.

i mean don't get me wrong, it's mainly technique.

But certainly i can "do" pinches, and they definitely come out a lot better using some gear than others.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncan JB?

I've never had much of a problem with them on such. Neither has Gojira apparently (and supposedly they may have even used a '59, which is a much lower output pickup but they still sound great through that pickup as well. It's a very trebley and dynamic pickup so I think that tends to help them out a little more than output.).

As for technique, this is true that they are mostly technique but I would say it's impossible to imply some kind of percentage to it other than 50/50. You can pull of pretty sick pinch harmonics on a Fender 54' Strat pickup, but you won't have as many harmonic options or positions to do so from, which leads to less than desirable (enjoyable?) results. If your technique is clean you can do them on almost any guitar with any pickup, as long as you are comfortable with the scale length.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by iRaiseTheDead
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this :s feel free to move or delete if needed.

I was wondering which pickups were best for achieving the Killswitch Engage type pinch harmonics. they sound so perfect.

I would like to know which is best for a 6 string guitar, aswell as a 7 string.

Thank you so much in advance,
~Andrew

Adam D uses an EMG 85 in the bridge FWIW.
Quote by BassisticT
My Ex firlfriend once shaved my butthair... A day later my butt looked like Freddy Krugers Face >.< Couldn't sit comfortable for like 4 Days.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Not sure what is worse the fact they watched a bbc drama series or they downed ethenol
Quote by Mason 95
tbh i think its mostly about technique, i can get pinched harmonics out of my mates starter strat and his fender strat as easily as i can out of my cort which has emgs took me a while to learn though, practice every day and you will get them!

I have them down. not to brag but I'm pretty good at them. VERY good at wide vibrato as well. I'm just trying to find the 'effect' I guess to make it simpler.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Low output pups + high gain amp + good technique = bliss
Yeah this is actually how it goes. Low output pickups are more sensitive and they pick up on pinch harmonics better. EMG pickups are basically low output pickups for the sensitivity but with a preamp in to boost the output up, that is why they're good. High output passive pickups aren't good because what the overwound coils will cancel more frequencies and you'll lose harmonic sensitivity. High output pickups do drive your amp more of course which means the gain compresses your tone more which in turn helps with harmonics but really that's a kind of botchy way to do it. Low output pickups and a very high gain amp or a mid gain amp with active pickups are the best ways to go.

Also thicker strings for the top 3 strings and thinner strings for the bottom three strings helps too. There's a certain average around .11s for the E, B and G and .10s for the D, A and E which seem to get haromonic content out better than others.

As for Killswitch, their harmonics sound the way they do because of their crazy vibrato.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

i mean don't get me wrong, it's mainly technique.

But certainly i can "do" pinches, and they definitely come out a lot better using some gear than others.

yeah i get it, if the technique lacks than gear won't save your life but if you have kickass technique crapyp gear can (and will) make it sound shitty regardless how hard you try
^ yep, exactly.

like if i can't drive like schumacher i won't win the formula 1 in a kickass f1 car, but put schumacher in a hatchback and he's not winning it either. it's that kind of thing (obviously a bit less extreme than that, but it works as a very basic analogy).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by Vendetta V

i'm doing pinches on a 150€ strat copy right now, amp makes the biggest difference apart from technique
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
EMG's for sure - or any higher output ceramic pickup should do the trick - and as everyone else has stated, it's mostly technique. The way I pinch makes it sound just like KsE and Zakk Wylde, and I use an EMG 81/60 set.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by iRaiseTheDead
I have them down. not to brag but I'm pretty good at them. VERY good at wide vibrato as well. I'm just trying to find the 'effect' I guess to make it simpler.

try angling your pick forward slightly if yotu get what i mean thats what i do
I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2010 fitted with Gibson Burstbuckers as standard, which are pretty hot and mid output pickups. I can occasionally do them but they sound so weak. I was playing a song the other day in Drop C (which I very rarely play in) and hit one pinch harmonic and it absolutely screamed. Best one I've ever done. Haven't been able to do one since. And in standard, they're crap and weak. I can get them unplugged so I don't think it's my technique. I've been trying to learn them for about a year and a half and I just can't get them, it's a pain in the arse.

And I'm using a fairly high end Marshall half stack, which can nail 80's metal.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
"EMG this, EMG that, EMG EMG EMG EMG..."...garbage.

Pinch harmonics are a main part of my playing. I've played many different guitars, all with different pickups, including EMG's, and I've tried pinch harmonics on all of them, but none of them made them scream like my Strat which has a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup in its bridge position. Only problem is that it's single-coil sized and won't fit into a standard humbucker slot without a special mounting ring. Even with that, it still looks ugly as hell, but I will say that if you really want the ultimate pinch harmonics then you could risk your guitar looking like shit just for the sound.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2010 fitted with Gibson Burstbuckers as standard, which are pretty hot and mid output pickups.
No they'r enot. Gibson's Burst Buckers measure out something like 6.5 k for the neck and middle model and about 7k for the bridge and Pro models. They're low output pickups.
Any high output pickup. Emgs, bareknuckles, active duncans etc. But its more about technique like what every other post said. And be sure to dial in your eq on all of your pedals and amp. That's just as important.
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
To be honest, it's all about how you do it. I keep my Strat in Eb with 10's and I get sick pinch harmonics on that with a fender amp on the drive channel and a SD-1.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
your technique + gain knob
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by bigblockelectra
I find it easiest to get a real screamer when you use your fingers.

Hahaha, either I'm the only person that read this the right way or the only person that read it the wrong way...

I agree.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
If you can do a pinch harmonic, you can hear it without your guitar even being plugged in. I guarantee I could do one regardless of set up.

I originally thought my amp didn't have enough treble to pull off a pinch. Ah the good ol days. Twas good to be ignorant.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yep, exactly.

like if i can't drive like schumacher i won't win the formula 1 in a kickass f1 car, but put schumacher in a hatchback and he's not winning it either. it's that kind of thing (obviously a bit less extreme than that, but it works as a very basic analogy).

bingo! I btw love how they put him into that ford thingy or whatever it was on Top Gera
^

Quote by Zerox8610
If you can do a pinch harmonic, you can hear it without your guitar even being plugged in. I guarantee I could do one regardless of set up.

I originally thought my amp didn't have enough treble to pull off a pinch. Ah the good ol days. Twas good to be ignorant.

well sure, but just because you can do them not plugged into anything doesn't guarantee that they'll jump out when you plug into an amp.

the gear can be holding you back...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What do you guys think of the new Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR 81TW/89R EMG set up? Will they squeel the PH's like im hoping they will? Or do you think the Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX FR with Seymour Duncan active Blackouts humbuckers will treat the PH's better? Ive been wanting the hellraiser for about two years now but now that i have the money im looking at other options to get the sound i want. I mainly listen to metalcore like Oh, Sleeper, August burns red, as i lay dying, even electrocore like I See Stars. anyone have their opinion? thanks
Page 1 of 2