So the tubes in my Crate Vintage Club 30 went out a while back and i'm looking for some new ones. I've found some nice Mesa/Boogie tubes in the same model that are in my Crate, but I was wondering if they would actually fit or if they're specifically made for Mesa/Boogie amplifiers?
As long as they're the right kind and everything, they'll work, they're not special. Really, they're not. I changed over to Svetlana's no 6 months after buying my Mesa.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I'm pretty sure Mesa tubes are just rebranded Rubys, and like havok said, they're nothing special. Check out the Tubes thread and you should find what you're looking for.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Tubes are without a doubt the worst thing Mesa sells. They arnt necessarily bad, just a rip. JJs are quite popular but if you can afford it look into some good NOS tubes.
Quote by edbert
I'm pretty sure Mesa tubes are just rebranded Rubys, and like havok said, they're nothing special. Check out the Tubes thread and you should find what you're looking for.

It thought they used rebranded Groove tubes... I don't think its Ruby's... Ruby's tend to have harsher harmonics.

Personally, I'd go for Tung-Sols for clarity and definition.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Don't go outta your way to get Mesa tubes, as the guys say they are nothing special except for the fact the power tubes will all be relatively consistent from a bias point of view. This is because Mesa amps are fixed bias so the only way to ensure the correct bias is to control the tubes.

The extra price on Mesa tubes is to to account for all the testing that's involved in getting a tube that will bias correctly in their amps.

For sure don't bother with Mesa tubes if you don't intend to use them in a Mesa as that is the only time Mesa power tubes make any sense at all!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by halikus
For sure don't bother with Mesa tubes if you don't intend to use them in a Mesa as that is the only time Mesa power tubes make any sense at all!

Even then, its really not that necessary even if it is for a Mesa amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Even then, its really not that necessary even if it is for a Mesa amp.

This. I'm running JJ's in my Mark IV's power amp. They're biased fairly cold, so you could put basically any matched set of 6L6's in there and it'd be fine.