I have recently purchased a GK backline 600 head and acoustic b410 cabinet. I have a few shows coming up that I will need pa support. Do you like to Mic of di and why? Also can you recommend a good Mic that can handle my amp cranked at max volume and still sound nice?
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
You know, school girl and all that, 14-17?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
I recommend DI....I just feel like using a mic takes away from the bass sound. I can't recommend a mic for you just because I haven't found one that I felt made a mic'ed bass sound good.
DI is usually the way to go. its easier and mics struggle with he low frequencies. its also just kinda the industry standard on how to do it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I personally prefer DI, if only to eliminate a variable in the signal chain (the microphone). DI ensures that you're only getting the tone of the amp and nothing else (resonance from the floor vibrating the mic, what little bleed through there could be). To be honest, there probably isn't too much discernible difference between going DI or using a mic, as long as the microphone was half-decent.

As far as miking (live sound, not recording) a bass cab, my personal preference is a Shure Beta 52A. I've seen SM57s used to mic basses as well.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by the_perdestrian
its also just kinda the industry standard on how to do it.

I don't think I've ever been to a large venue where the bass hasn't been miced. Also Kick Drum mics are the go.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Direct In is much more convenient and in my opinion sounds better unless you have an amazing mic which will run you a few hundred dollars.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
unless you have an amazing mic which will run you a few hundred dollars.

The same could be said for DIs.
As I said, kick drum mics.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
It depends. If your cab is a significant addition to your sound, it might be better to mic it. However, most soundmen are going to look at you like you're crazy if you ask for it. So basically, unless you're big enough for the sound man to give a shit about how your bass sounds, DI it up.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm a DI guy. My amp is there purely for monitoring purposes, so I DI out before the signal even hits the amp.

When soundguys do this to me it makes me want to murder kittens.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Personally,I despise using a D.I on its own.
I run 3 signals (wet bass,dry bass,organ) into my amp.
I use a tube power section through 8x10.Anyone who has had carry one of those wants to know that there's a good reason why they are small fridge up a flight of stairs.I don't bring something like that to a gig just to hear myself,whilst the audience gets the dry,nasty sound of my bass on its own.
Ideally,I use a mic with a flat response (something like a Beyer M88 or an Ev whatever the thing is),combined with a d.i'd dry signal to retain some of the super lows.
Where this isn't possible,a kick mic and guitar mic can suffice.Worst comes to worst,D.I and a 57 can pull you through.
If the only option is D.I'ing however,this throws my entire sound into chaos,so I severely dislike engineers who think that way.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I think DI alone can sound a little sterile, but mic alone may end up lacking in low end if you dont have a good mic. Plus if you use a mic up close on a fully cranked amp its more then likely going to clip and distort your tone, not in a good way either.

I would DI from the amp and have a mic and ask the sound guy to mix 50/50, but ask him nicely and see when he has to say, not all sound guys are on the same level.

Mic wise a seneheiser 421 is good, shure sm57 lack a little of the high and low end, but would still work pretty well and spare kick drum mic would do the job.

How big is are the venues though? The GK is 300w and would fill out a decent sized room with a 4x10 cab.
The sound guy hardly used any PA for my RB8 at my last gig, I just cranked it up and he used the on stage volume.
[quote="JHow big is are the venues though? The GK is 300w and would fill out a decent sized room with a 4x10 cab.
The sound guy hardly used any PA for my RB8 at my last gig, I just cranked it up and he used the on stage volume.[/QUOTE"]

The cabinet is 8ohms and the head only runs half power (150w) at 8ohms, the venues I play are the crazy donkey and stuff that size, not huge but pretty big for a club
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
Fair enough in that case, PA is the way to go. Like alot of the others have said, DI is usually the standard procedure but you could always ask for a mic, hes more likely to oblige if you have one ready.
I generally DI, micing is a lot of hassle and can lead to other problems. DI is simple and works well.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Can you recommend any mics? I have been going di only for the past few months, no amp. Now that I have a nice sounding half stack I want my FOH sound to be the sound I hear up on stage. I have heard good things about D112s and bets 52s
Quote by Bag'ed
Quote by gilly_90
When soundguys do this to me it makes me want to murder kittens.

I used to take issue with it, but now I have a DI with a valve preamp/EQ stage, as well as the 2 band shelving EQ on the Wick, I'm more than happy to DI. What I might start doing is run a DI out of the amp head, and use the amp head as my effects loop, but just have the wet come through the amp and the FOH, leaving the dry signal to come through the band monitors and blend with the FOH.
I have found that most good and experienced sound men will give you both options. And many times they will hook you up with both so they can mix the two different sounds.

However, you will probably find that a lot of places you might play will just DI you because it's easier for them and they don't need that much experience to get a "good" sound.

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
I have found that most good and experienced sound men will give you both options. And many times they will hook you up with both so they can mix the two different sounds.

However, you will probably find that a lot of places you might play will just DI you because it's easier for them and they don't need that much experience to get a "good" sound.

Most of the sound guys I work with have no idea what they are doing and will just give me a di and tell me to leave my amp in the car, but that was when I was just playing through a 1x15 combo and I didn't really care but now that I have a nice sounding amp I have noticed that just di alone sounds terrible because the ultra lows and ultra highs are always boosted, I like a really tight punch midrange and that's why I have been thinking about getting a decent Mic and using that
Quote by Bag'ed
Quote by poooop
Most of the sound guys I work with have no idea what they are doing and will just give me a di and tell me to leave my amp in the car, but that was when I was just playing through a 1x15 combo and I didn't really care but now that I have a nice sounding amp I have noticed that just di alone sounds terrible because the ultra lows and ultra highs are always boosted, I like a really tight punch midrange and that's why I have been thinking about getting a decent Mic and using that

I understand what you are saying. I prefer to have my cab miked in all situations. A lot of my sound comes from my low-mids and I also run a 2x12 setup.

A quality mike will probably run you about $200. You can get cheaper ones and they will suffice, but I believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to musical gear.

Love the Low end
Work with your soundman. Maybe ive been lucky, i now most of the local soundman who have done my sound and ive told them what ive wanted. I just DI.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Both. You have the opportunity to blend, if preferred.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
I prefer to DI because it's more practical, I've never gigged my amp though so I couldn't tell you the difference.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I like using a tube preamp with a parametric EQ and DI. That's all I need to get an "in your face" sound. Miking can give you ambient room character.
Quote by poooop
I have recently purchased a GK backline 600 head and acoustic b410 cabinet. I have a few shows coming up that I will need pa support. Do you like to Mic of di and why? Also can you recommend a good Mic that can handle my amp cranked at max volume and still sound nice?

Just a word of advice, don't max out your amp unless you have to. You should match the drummers volume and your guitarist should do the same etc.

The job of a sound engineer is to put what is missing from the sound where the punters are into the front of house. If you have the volume maxed out he'll a) struggle to get everything over the top of you out front (you won't need mic or DI cause he won't run you through FoH) and b) your tone will be really thin more than 5 metres from the amp.

So, back off enough so you have a good stage mix, and then let the sound engineer do his job properly.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Yes, be careful. Not only could you overpower the band, you could destroy your amp pushing it past 7 or so. They aren't meant to be driven at 10.