Page 1 of 2
Another recently viewed thread inspired this question.

How much gain do you guys use?

For myself, even though I play fairly heavy stuff, I keep it around midway. I like how punchy it feels with lower gain, the notes pop out better. Helps with djent type shit

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

At home, I dont know, honestly, I use a Digitech RP90 on the "45" preset.
Classic Thrash metal tone, I'd say around 7-8.5 distortion.
At my band, I turn the knob as far as it goes on a Roland 80X, of course in the metal preset.
Volume at 4 or so.
I have problems getting my lead through, and I basically have to guess each time wat volume and gain settings to use, I can be doing a solo, and I'm right next to the amp, my rhytym guitarist is going through a Marshall and all I can here is E5 powerchords.
Not my lead. And she's on the otherside of the room D:
**** I should turn it up to 6 or something.
METAL!
yeah with djent the key is to keep it as low as possible; but of course there are times when a really high gain sound can be good, it all depends on the particular playing style and types of riffs as well as the gear itself. on my 5150 the preamp gain is usually around 4-5
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
on the amp
little less than midway
but i also got a boost in case i need a little more
which is also at bout half way

but when im experimenting of just screwing around i do sometimes just turn the gain all the way up...sustain up the ying yang
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah with djent the key is to keep it as low as possible; but of course there are times when a really high gain sound can be good, it all depends on the particular playing style and types of riffs as well as the gear itself. on my 5150 the preamp gain is usually around 4-5

Hell I love the low gain for other purposes as well. Really lets the nuances of the player shine through. Instead of relying on a wall of gain

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

For my live sound and practice, i use it on about 6 or 7 on a Rectifier setting. recording, i roll it back to about 4 for a more thick punchy sound.
depends on song...if pantera/thrash style, its treble and bass 10's and gain 10..

Mostly classic rock tough..gain doent ever cross 7....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by valennic
Hell I love the low gain for other purposes as well. Really lets the nuances of the player shine through. Instead of relying on a wall of gain

exactly; but there are times when a wall of sound is appropriate, like in really simple, slow death metal and such

edit: schecter guy also makes a good point, in a recording setting it's most important to have tight/low gain as possible since you want things to be really clean; in a live setting things are already muddy anyways and having super low gain just makes it sound not as full
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jun 5, 2011,
I keep the gain just high enough for it to crunch. Even when I play the occasional metal song. I can't stand it when all I can hear is gain.
Around 6-7 on my current amp. That's about as high as I usually go.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Eleven.

It really depends on two main things.

1. Whether I'm going for rhythm or lead.
2. What I'm using to get the distortion.

The first is because, while live I'll just roll down to 6 or 7 on the guitar to clean up for rhythm, while recording or with something with multiple dirty channels, I'll set different settings for a dirty rhythm and a dirty lead.

The second is because between VST models, a Blues Junior, a Power Stack, a Distortion III, a Tubescreamer, a RAT, a Russian Big Muff, a Double Muff, an FZ-7, a Behringer V-Amp, medium-high output strat single-coils, low, vintage-output tele single-coils, medium-high power humbuckers, and all sorts of weird one-use sounds I go for, narrowing it down to one is impossible without specifics.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I usually have my TL-2 set to 1 o clock or less. So probably around 5 or 6
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
depends what im playing. with my practice setup i use a boss os2 and a EQ. the boss has a blend of OD and distortion with a fairly nice gain control. classic rock ill dial in gain around 3or 4, to get a fuzz sound i put it more towards the OD setting and max the gain, or for metal or like RATM i put at mostly the distortion side and put the gain around 6-7ish, about 3 o clock. all depeds what im going for.

with my tube amps, i generally keep the gain around 3-4ish and use pedals for the rest.
Depends on the amp, and my practice Marshall, i use about 7/10.
On my orange Dual Terror i use full
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
on my Uber Metal, its as high as possible, but on the Pulverise.
its such a nasty thrash sound, but only as long as you turn scoop and mids back all the way.
maybe a little above halfway at the most on my Mesa, usually right around half though.

I run my peavey a little higher, maybe 7ish, and turn it down as I play louder
I have my ampeg vh140c with the gain on 3.75/10 for death metal lol
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
on my flextone with my emg's, around noon too 1 oclock. on my cousins jvm, veryy low, like at 9 oclock to get high gain metal rythme
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I like a good amount of gain. I play a lot of rhythm. I like my gain at around 7. Any higher than that and it gets a bit too much, you can't hear any notes, just distortion.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I usually put the gain up to as high as it will go while still retaining clarity between notes, then I just roll back on the volume knob on my guitar when I want a cleaner sound or a crunch sound.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
4.5 - 5 in the Marshall 100W head I use in studio.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
most of the time around 5 or 4-4,5, rarely to 10 to sustain some dumb shit and **** around with my floyd xD
on my clean channel i like to sometimes crank it to 6-7 get a nice crunchy tone.
a lot less than i used to. gain doesn't go above 6 at low volumes and probably not past 5 at higher volumes. i have an overdrive to kick on for leads if needed. back when i first started to play i drowned my sound with as much distortion as i could. over the years i found that to much detracts from your sound not adds. at this point i want to have well articulated notes and strong sounding chords. this is all despite using single coils.
My Bugera gives a crapload of gain. Especially as I use EMG's, so I never crank it. Mine's normally on 7 and that's plenty. On the cleans, I have the gain as low as possible and the vol cranked. EMG's can't do cleans for shit as many people know, even on the low input.

Some people on the other hand, have more gain than sense.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 6, 2011,
Amp only: 3-6 depending what my needs are. if im using a distortion pedal then its around 11
I use it at about 9 o'clock, so about 3-4.5, but I boost mids a bit and use an overdrive and some compression for a thicker tone.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
All of it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Like around 3 or 4. I only really use more gain when i'm playing a song off of Revolver or Sgt Peppers or if i'm playing some GreenDay-ish song but that's almost never, so...
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
at about 3 o' clock on my traynor, without the boost engaged. i mostly play Tool, so yea.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Page 1 of 2