Hey whatsup guys
I wasn't sure if this would fit in the gear/accessories forum or bass forum but i figured it was more about the amp so I just put it here. Anyway I've been playing guitar for a while and thought it would be fun to put a little extra money into a bass. Now I was wondering if instead of having to spend extra money on a bass amp if I could just play it through either my mesa dual rectifier combo or marshall jcm2000 head/ 1960 lead half stack. Would that cause any harm to the amps, or can I go ahead with it?
Thanks a lot guys =)
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
In short, yes it can severely damage your amp.

Why? The bass guitar's low E is much too low for the speakers and guitar head to handle.
Playing bass through a guitar amp is bad, and can damage it, but from what I've seen, no one on UG really knows why. I certainly don't, or at least I don't think I do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Playing bass through a guitar amp is bad, and can damage it, but from what I've seen, no one on UG really knows why. I certainly don't, or at least I don't think I do.

The low frequencies are just too much for the speaker - a guitar amp speaker is not designed to handle those frequencies.
Quote by Offworld92

it's because the frequencies are too low. they can theoretically override your speakers and blow them...
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
You can use the actual guitar amp for the bass, but you would have to get a bass cab to use with the amp, since guitar speakers are mid range speakers, and can't handle the low end delivered by the bass, which would then cause them to blow out.

Doubt it would sound any good though.
Quote by stonyman65
it's because the frequencies are too low. they can theoretically override your speakers and blow them...

Yet it's perfectly fine to play an ERG through a guitar amp? A guitar tuned down to F (only a step above a bass in standard). No one ever has any issues when it comes to that. It's not the tuning.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Yet it's perfectly fine to play an ERG through a guitar amp? A guitar tuned down to F (only a step above a bass in standard). No one ever has any issues when it comes to that. It's not the tuning.

Maybe something with bass pickups then. The note may be the same but a bass will give you a ton more low end. I'd assume its just that even an ERG can't produce the same low end frequencies of a bass guitar.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
That's what I thought. Something different in the electronics. But when I mentioned so in the last thread about this subject, someone said that wasn't the reason. I still can't think of anything else that could be it, but that's what was told to me.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That's what I thought. Something different in the electronics. But when I mentioned so in the last thread about this subject, someone said that wasn't the reason. I still can't think of anything else that could be it, but that's what was told to me.

Aren't all bass pickups active too? I doubt that's the reason, but the electronics in bass and guitar are certainly very different.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
Aren't all bass pickups active too? I doubt that's the reason, but the electronics in bass and guitar are certainly very different.
Nope, they have both active and passive pickups, just like guitars.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
I just googled it and realized I was wrong.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
how come the speaker in guitar amps are damaged but normal speakers that a bass is playing through (on a song or while using a headphones amp) are not damaged?
because they have a broader range.
Get a 1x15 bass cab rated for 300 watts or something, have fun!

As for the bass guitar and drop z tuned guitar, the way the bass vibrates is the key. It just is too much for the speaker to handle and thats why it would blow it up. Some people say its the overtones, but i never gave this idea a good try so yeah
i have a gnx4 and it can handle both guitar and bass , even if you play with a headphone or a monitor
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by stykerwolf
because they have a broader range.
Get a 1x15 bass cab rated for 300 watts or something, have fun!

As for the bass guitar and drop z tuned guitar, the way the bass vibrates is the key. It just is too much for the speaker to handle and thats why it would blow it up. Some people say its the overtones, but i never gave this idea a good try so yeah

To be fair, a low E string on a guitar for instanced, tuned down to lets say , a low G will still have the same fundamental frequency as playing that same low G on a bass. Scale length and maybe the pickups and probably the thicker strings on a bass will possibly mean that on a bass guitar the fundamental is louder but it is still the same fundamental.

It's possible some people are lucky too, some guitar cabs might be able to take all the low end for a while, but it's really not worth the risk. I know i play with loads of bass when i'm using fuzz (bass all the way up and an old boss Bass eq pedal) and my speakers are fine but i still wouldn't risk playing a bass guitar into them , and never at high volume because that probably would ruin the speakers.

I know when i use 1 octave down on my whammy pedal i'd rather not play with that setting at really high volume because sometimes the speaker does sound unhappy with it.

edit: so taking all that into account, i wonder if anyone has actually broken a guitar speaker by playing a guitar with a very low tuning like F standard as someone mentioned?
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 6, 2011,