OK, so my friend got a Windsor head and it just isn't cutting it for what we play (he's in my band, we play thrash/power metal). So now he's looking for a new amp.

Requirements:
  • high gain
  • at least 50w RMS
  • $400

He's willing to go used, and he lives in Acton MA, which is about half an hour north of boston.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd probably go after the B52 AT or the Classic 50 or the JCM900 on your craigslist. The Egnator, Bassman, and Ampeg may work too but they may be too fendery

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=200&maxAsk=500
I was thinking a Krank Rev Jr Pro 50... but new its $700... not sure if you can get that at $400 used. Its awesome for high gain, particularly thrash.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 6, 2011,
Just a suggestion - have you tried an overdrive and/or boost pedal with the amp?

I have a mate who uses a Windsor head in a Metallica cover band and it's always had enough gain for him. He uses two boost pedals with it though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Just a suggestion - have you tried an overdrive and/or boost pedal with the amp?

I have a mate who uses a Windsor head in a Metallica cover band and it's always had enough gain for him. He uses two boost pedals with it though.

Yeah, we have - it's been too fizzy and it's a bit loose as it is, considering we play in C# standard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Jet City JCA50H? I thinks they can be had for $400 or that Bugera JCM900 copy.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Go for a Jet City amp with a nice boost.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb