http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ihTR-nSaQ

Or atleast a similar tone?

I have a MicroCube, Metal Muff and an Ibanez RG2EX1. I know I should really get a new amp, but I've only started playing guitar last year and I'm only 16 so I can't afford the best amps out there yet. And could you please explain the knob settings by comparing their rotation to the hands of a clock? Thanks.

P.S: If I ABSOLUTELY have to get a new amp, which one would you recommend under $250? (I know it's not a big budget, so bear with me)
It's a very middy tone, kick up your mids, DON'T scoop them. Use the metal muff, through the clean channel of the cube.

Also, I think the R-Fire model of the cube can do this tone without too much problem.

However, keep in mind that you will never NAIL this tone, you can only get fairly close at best. To nail that tone, you'll need a Mark Morton sig guitar, and a Mesa Mark IV

EDIT: Part of the reason recorded tones sound so sick is because they're doubletracked/quadtracked. So do keep that in mind as well.
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Jun 6, 2011,
Actually, I think you'll get a closer sound by using the Metal setting, not the R-fier, and boost the treble.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Actually, I think you'll get a closer sound by using the Metal setting, not the R-fier, and boost the treble.

No metal setting on the microcube. Also only one tone knob, no Bass/Mid/Treble.

TS, basically you're not gonna get that tone with the cube. And there's no point in buying a new amp with the budget you currently have as it will only be a slight improvement. Save up some more and then get yourself a decent amp instead of taking a tiny step forwards.
That sound... you're really only getting it a MkIV. I'd recommend you save up and look online for a used Mesa.

If you wanna get that tone fast a dirty, you could look at a Peavey Vypyr or computer modeling through the Peavey ReValver III software.

Personally i'd just suck it up and play through what you have now and save up for a better amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
He could get moderately close with the Vypyr's XXX/6505 models, both are quite middy.

Funny thing is, if you look at pics of their gear, the Mark IV/V G EQ is ALWAYS in a V shape.

Its not just about the mids, its about the snap-fast response of the bass on the Marks...

I don't see what's so amusing about the V shape EQ curve... its quite a common EQ configuration for the Marks.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The 6505 is pretty tight so long as you dont use drop Z or whatever....one amp I'ev actually played so I can comment on that......
Funny as in strange, because their tone sounds very middy to me
Even funnier, with either Amplitube or my RP500, the only way I can get a similar sound is by cranking the crap out of the mid knob on the Mark models. Scooping the mids doesnt sound good for LoG at all on all the amps ive tried......actually it doesnt sound good for anything, but it might just be me being biased......I've always boosted mids like fack even when I was a complete noob.....

Does engaging the G EQ change the general tone of the amp or something? Never played a Mark in person so I really dunno
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 6, 2011,
Thanks for the replies, guys. The R-fier setting on the Cube actually sounds kinda close to it, but it's too crunchy. When I use my Metal Muff it sounds better, but too muddy. So I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a new amp.
Quote by Sampy
No metal setting on the microcube. Also only one tone knob, no Bass/Mid/Treble.

TS, basically you're not gonna get that tone with the cube. And there's no point in buying a new amp with the budget you currently have as it will only be a slight improvement. Save up some more and then get yourself a decent amp instead of taking a tiny step forwards.

agree. sorry but you just don't have the gear to duplicate that LOG style tone. the EH Metal Muff played through the clean channel (setting whatever) shoud get you an acceptable metal tone but that is about all that amp is capable of. save some more money for a better amp. while some of the suggestions will work more or less i think you will still fall short and be disappointed. might as well try for a higher amp budget and get something that will work for a while rather than get old in 6 months. if you have only been playing for a year i'd suggest concentrating on getting your playing to gether better first and then worry about trying to duplicate tones later.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Does engaging the G EQ change the general tone of the amp or something? Never played a Mark in person so I really dunno

Its basically an EQ... it doesn't drastically change the overall character of the amp.

I'll put it this way... you can have wacked out settings on your GEQ, but when you switch it on, it doesn't make the amp sound like a whole different amp.

The GEQ makes subtle changes. Its not in your face, and it doesn't change the character of your tone, but the difference between the GEQ on and off is pretty much like day and night.

No, before you ask, I don't use the V curve... my setting also dumps the 80hz eq slider to lower bass. I don't really need a thump when I practice at home. Somehow I don't like having the bass thump me right over the head.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Sounds similar to my settings. I go B/M/T 2/8/10

OOOOK... my Eq's not that extreme either.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by SociallyLazy
Thanks for the replies, guys. The R-fier setting on the Cube actually sounds kinda close to it, but it's too crunchy. When I use my Metal Muff it sounds better, but too muddy. So I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a new amp.

you can help get rid of some of the mudd with a eq pedal a Boss GE-7 or MXR 10 band would help tremendously (I have used both) and you could pick up either for around $100 or less used. just a thought.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
Last edited by dsbcc at Jun 6, 2011,