Hey guys,
Just asking for confirmation on whether a Shure SM 57 will work in Australia. I imagine it would as it doesn't seem to require a seperate power source. It might be a silly question, but it's better to be safe than sorry and Google thinks I'm talking about work visas. I will save just $20 by buying from North America, but that's $20 that can go towards other stuff. I will be using the mic to record instruments primarily, and from what I can see this mic tends to be the standard. Because it's ~$100-$140, I was also wondering if there were any other mics that are close to identical in quality but cheaper.

Thanks for the help!

Ye, yes it will work.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Last edited by ProphetToJables at Jun 6, 2011,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most instrument stuff is universal, though I guess you might run into a voltage problem if you needed phantom power or something.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I'm sorry, I'm going to be straight here, this is one of the most stupid questions asked EVER here (and I've seen some dumb shit over time). I know for a beginner at recording its something to ponder but its the exact same mic, just shipped to 2 separate countries.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Just a tip. Dynamic mics dont require power, so they would definitely work anywhere. Condensers, though they do need power, always require 48v no matter where in the world they are. It's an international standard.
Saving $20 on a Sm57 is a good deal and yes, it will work anywhere...except in Utah at 3pm, on the 4th of every month. It's just designed that way.
Do you love Alice In Chains and Metallica? How about Tool and Velvet Revolver?...then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in awhile...-->The Liberty Underground<--
Quote by lockwolf
I'm sorry, I'm going to be straight here, this is one of the most stupid questions asked EVER here (and I've seen some dumb shit over time). I know for a beginner at recording its something to ponder but its the exact same mic, just shipped to 2 separate countries.

I one-hundred percent agree with Lockwolf. Thanks for being blunt, Lockwolf.

Even with Phantom Power, your transformer will make it 48V from the 220V that you get there. Your power supply will even regulate it! Fancy that.
..I was watching my death.
It'll work but all your recordings will have a down under twang and after every riff you'll hear "mate." Just a joke, don't take it personally, no offense. I have several ozzy friends and they have a good sense of humor so I trust you won't take it to heart. Yes, it will work the same in any country.
Quote by lockwolf
If I remember right, Australia uses different shaped for their power outlets, or something of that nature; he's just asking if it'll still work despite that.
Quote by CrossBack7
$140? Jesus, buy one used off ebay for like $70.

Naaa too many fakes.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by sandyman323
Just a tip. Dynamic mics dont require power, so they would definitely work anywhere. Condensers, though they do need power, always require 48v no matter where in the world they are. It's an international standard.

You do know there is three variants of the IEC 61938 standard for phantom power?

12, 24 and 48 volts DC.
Quote by Quintex
You do know there is three variants of the IEC 61938 standard for phantom power?

12, 24 and 48 volts DC.

There's also +32V. I saw a couple mixers with it.
Quote by timbit2006
There's also +32V. I saw a couple mixers with it.

32 volt is not listed in the specification, but quite often a mixer's phantom power is not set to the spec but at a level that is "convenient" to the power supply used in the unit.
just make sure u change the setting to record australian instead of american.theres a little yellow switch under the grille
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Quintex

12, 24 and 48 volts DC.

Which would be why I specified 48v which is by far the most common. I myself have not seem many others on entry level gear, but I do live in the states and dont really shop much outside. If I somehow misled someone who didn't read my whole post and look at the one number I wrote, I apologize.
Quote by Eggmond
just make sure u change the setting to record australian instead of american.theres a little yellow switch under the grille

Get out... Now.
Don't give false information. With the TS asking a question like this, he might actually believe you.
Quote by timbit2006
Get out... Now.
Don't give false information. With the TS asking a question like this, he might actually believe you.

..Clearly a joke, calm down.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Ya know, it took me a little while to realize this but my microphone is made in Australia and works fine here in the US.

Lol, yeah :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Ya know, it took me a little while to realize this but my microphone is made in Australia and works fine here in the US.

Lol, yeah :p

Is it a Rode?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?