So, I was browsing some music store websites looking for cool guitars. I always run into this brand Dbz, I usually just ignore it, thinking its some cheap brand. But yesterday, I googled it, and found out that Dbz guitars have the same founder as the legendary Dean Guitars.

That got my attention. So, Dbz guitars weren't just some minor guitar company, and were seemingly very good quality. I have always thought of buying a Jackson or a Dean for my next instrument, but it seems i have to consider Dbz too.

So, any opinions from Dbz users? Are they as good as they seem to be? They look really awesome and seem to have quality parts and materials, But I would like to have user opinion on them.
DBZ is much better than dean. I got to play a dbz one time, it was pretty good. not a fan of the shapes though.
Quote by kolonelkadat
DBZ is much better than dean. I got to play a dbz one time, it was pretty good. not a fan of the shapes though.

Well, if its better than dean, its probaply good. And some of the shapes are pretty extreme, but some of the guitars are really cool.
well dean doesnt exactly have the greatest rep. i really dont hold them in high regard. i can assure you, the high end DBZ are better than any dean. i am not aware of any dean that is a truely high end guitar. perhaps some of thier signature models. DBZ american guitars are in the thousands and seem way better wuality.

DBZ however, caught my attetion. their american models seem amazing, however they run 2-3000 for some models.

their regular line is chinese made and sells for 600-800 usually. i really like the imperial and the other thin bodied one. i really liek the idea of that thin, large bodied guitar. no only does it look sleek, i think it would have fantastic ergonomics, be very light and have a great sound. people say the thin body acts as one big soundboard like the top of an acoustic guitar.

but i have yet to play one. if you can, try them out and then try deans/jacksons. thats the only way to know for sure.
Thanks. Im interested in the halcyon model. Seems like the perfect guitar for me and its only about 700 euros. The Imperial looks really cool too but i dont think that it fits my playing style. But i think i can try them out in local stores.
actually i am really confused now.

i ws under the impression that there were chniese models and american ones, and the american ones costs 2,3, 4 thousand bucks. however, all i see are ones selling for 6-800. ive seen pictures with made in china stamped on the headstocks.

even when you click buy on their website, a imperial retails at 734 or something. what?

are there two lines of these guitars? or are they in fact all asian made?
The current top of the line DBZs are essentially as good as the best Deans that were made while Zelisky was part of Dean (both his original, founding run and his brief return), and the next lower echelon of DBZs correspond to the midline Deans of those eras. AFAIK, there are no "entry level" DBZs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Essentially, think of BDZ guitars as Dean guitars with better QC and funkier shapes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
yeah. i just read all teh articles where DBZ wins best in show etc. they all say the MRSP is like 6000 and the MAP is like 3000.

then most stores sell the 700 bucks ones. those must be the ones with made in china stamped on the back. my onyl question is, is it a veneer or a true flame/quilt maple top on those chinese guitars?
Dean Zelinsky, in my opinion makes some of the best quality guitars around. And since he left Dean guitars, their quality decreased for sure. I have DBZs and I highly recommend them. They are beautiful and they sound amazing.
And to answer the question of if they are all asian made, no there are USA made and import guitars for DBZ.
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
I own 3 dbz guitars. One made in korea one in china and one in the usa. All very good guitars. I spoke with them and was told they don't use the chinese factory anymore. The chinese one is slightly inferior to the build quality of the korean one so the fact that they don't makke them there anymore is a plus. That said evven the chinese model is pretty well made imho. I have an imperial made in korea and its one of the one
I own 3 dbz guitars. One made in korea one in china and one in the usa. All very good guitars. I spoke with them and was told they don't use the chinese factory anymore. The chinese one is slightly inferior to the build quality of the korean one so the fact that they don't make them there anymore is a plus. That said even the chinese model is pretty well made imho. I have an imperial made in korea and its one of the best playing guitars I've ever had and I've had loads including some very high $ ones
Saw some high mid range DBZ's today and they looked really good actually.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by ikey_
well dean doesnt exactly have the greatest rep. i am not aware of any dean that is a truely high end guitar.

Dean has produced top notch quality hand made electric guitars since the day they werer founded in 1976. Up until the late 90's every USA Dean was built in Chicago, now they're in Tampa. Mr. Zelinsky was head of the USA shop and oversaw the production of every guitar that came outta the Tampa location while he was there.

DBZ american guitars are in the thousands and seem way better wuality...DBZ however, caught my attetion. their american models seem amazing, however they run 2-3000 for some models.

New USA Deans run about that. Makes sense if they were built by the same guy.

their regular line is chinese made and sells for 600-800 usually.

Korean, actually. While at Dean, Mr. Zelinsky handpicked the factories in Korea to produce the guitar with his name on it. Whenever he left Dean he continued to use pretty much the same factories. And they're priced similarly as well. He was most dissatisfied with Dean's budget line, and the Dimebag Darrel Estate contract.

Deans are actually solid guitars, once you ignore the budget models and anything with Dime on the headstock. But that's all most people on UG know about :/. I expect DBZ to hold that same level of quality both in their import and USA models, only this time with Dean Zelinsky at the helm like it was in the beginning.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 2, 2011,