Danelectro '56 Single Cutaway

This thing is pretty sexy looking, and sounding. Not to mention it costs only $399 new.

http://www.guitarworld.com/danelectro-56-single-cutaway-full-bell-hs

^ Video

-2 Lipstick single coil/humbucker pickups (depending on model) wired in series
-Gold Hardware
-Kluson style yuners
-Rosewood fretboard with 21 frets
-Masonite body w/ gloss finish
-2 concentric volume/tone knobs that each control volume AND tone for each pickup.
-Vintage as F***.

Problem is that no stores stock this baby close to me so I can't try it out. Probably a long shot but has anyone tried one of these? I'm ridiculously interested in buying one.

Whaddya guys think about it?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 6, 2011,
in my humble opinion all the hardware is decent but the sound is lacking for anything other than cleans, i think the necks are great for the price but all i use mine for is acoustic(y) stuff. although mine has 2 single coils, never tried a model with the humbucker.
Meh...
Yeah that's the thing. I wouldn't use this for high gain, obviously. I was thinking of mostly using it for open tuning or alternate tuning stuff a-la Led Zeppelin's Dancing days, Kashmir, Friends, etc. It seems like it would be perfect for that. Plus it's sexy as hell.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Spud Spudly
I guess sexy is in the eye of the beholder.
I just really love stuff that looks like it's from the 50s and 60s. If you walked into my room, regardless of who you are, you would instantly say "whoooaaahh psyychadeeelliicc duuuuddeee" and suddenly find yourself unable to turn away from lava lamps for hours.

Quote by xharass_natox
I would recommend you looking for a 90's reissue secondhand, I don't think they did any gold hardware then but IMO they were better guitars all around.

What was better about them? Wood/hardware/neck feel etc? I can't seem to find any that aren't either in disrepair or have blems all over them.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 6, 2011,
i didn't try that particular one, but i tried a 67 and loved it. the neck was kinda like a slim strat shape, and the pickups sounded trashy (however thats positive!)
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Masonite body

You do know what Masonite is, right?

People believe rumors that Squiers are made of plywood and whatnot, but Danoelectros are quite literally made of particleboard. Masonite is the stuff cheap Ping Pong and Foosball Tables are made out of.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter

People believe rumors that Squiers are made of plywood and whatnot, but Danoelectros are quite literally made of particleboard. Masonite is the stuff cheap Ping Pong and Foosball Tables are made out of.

Yeah, Just don't leave it out in the rain.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by kangaxxter

I'm not doubting you at all, because I googled Masonite.

But I found this on MF:
Body: 56 single cutaway hardboard/plywood construction hollow with solid center core and tape binding

What does that mean?

By the way TS;
The only model I can find with a humbucking bridge pickup is the dolphin headstock one.

And you might be better off with a Dead-On '67 or whatever they are, like $300 and made of basswood. My friend has one. Uses it for 70's metal, Led Zeppelin, that stuff. Trem is garbage, though. That is, if you're even considering a Danelectro after this.

Maybe you want to find some super vintage guitar, that's actually vintage? Like a Kay, Teisco or a Hondo?
Just did a bunch of research on masonite as a tone"wood". It doesn't have much sustain but as far as being a tone"wood" it's not that bad. It's more...unique and different than anything. I'm not really concerned about that.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Ive used my brothers 59, and it had some really nice deep tones. He plays it more than his SG, and it sounds good through the TS unlike what many have said.
Danelectros are infamous for tuning issues, but if you figure our those issues, i think they are sweet guitars.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

The 59 actually looks really interesting. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same model (essentially) as Jimmy Page's famous Danelectro guitar he used in The Yardbirds and sometimes live with Led Zeppelin.

Found a couple online for the same price as the guitar in my original post.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Choices.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M