Poll: What type of Ernie Ball strings do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: What type of Ernie Ball strings do you use?
Regular Sliknky
18 28%
Super Slinky
15 23%
Power Slinky
9 14%
Beefy Slinky
2 3%
Hybrid Slinky
3 5%
Skinny Top heavy bottom
10 16%
Not even slinky
5 8%
Rps 9
0 0%
Other
2 3%
Voters: 64.
What type Of Ernie Ball strings do you use and why do you like them?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by al112987
which ever ones are 10 to 46.

10-46 are Regular Slinky.
I use the 8's, used to use the 9's and or 10's, eh,
I find the 8's soft and give you a great sound when you bend... helps with the Jimmy Page style solo's
Before I switched to exclusively D'addario, I used not even slinky sets. I really didn't like em that much, it was just all the Daddy's Junky carried. I started buying everything online from musiciansfriend for half the price..

That said, their single gauge packs I still buy from time to time either to get a wound .18 g string or a heavy .62 or something.
I have a box next to my feet with 12 packs of regular slinkys and 4 packs of slinky top heavy bottoms. I usually use the heavy bottoms, but what I really like is using the regulars with a .60 on the low E. I tried it out when I saw that Bellamy does it and my band were recording some Muse covers for kicks. Really liked it (tonally, not so much for feel, but you get used to it), but you cant usually get .60 singles that easily.
What do you guys suggest for rock?
Power Slinky 11-48

I like the thicker high E, but not so thick Low E....
Quote by kutless999
What do you guys suggest for rock?
Um which ever ones are comfortable to play for you? Strings are probably the most subjective and one of the least important aspects of guitar.
10-46 for country on the tele because it allows me to do awkward double stop bends.
Not even slinky for jazz,rock and blues on the ES-335 and Fender ASS because of the .024 plain G. Thickest plain string they make last time I checked.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
What is good about skinny top heavy bottom?

I'm planning on picking up some power slinkys today and I'll see how those are.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
That's subjective in itself, they're one of the most important aspects for me.

Well, I pick really hard and having the extra tension keeps them in tune and they also don't get too bright/harsh. But to have that tension on a regular balanced set you'd have to buy 12's.. So basically you can really dig in for riffs and stuff, but still play solos with a lot of bending easily.

They're also great if you want to play in Drop D and keep a normal tension.

Yea I play in drop d a lot. Will power slinkys work well for drop d?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I would switch to regular slinkies first. The tension of 11s will really hurt your fingers if you're used to 9's. Trust me.

I went from 9s to 11s when I was just starting and nearly gave myself a tendon injury because I was trying to do all these crazy Jimmy Page bends.

You'd also need to set up your guitar, but just going to 10s it won't really matter.

Oh, I thought regular slinkys were thinner than super slinkys. Anyways, Im still going with the power slinkys.
Has anyone else made the jump from super slinkys to power slinkys?
I just put my power slinkys on a couple hours ago and I like the tone from them. Next time I'll try Regular slinkys.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 7, 2011,
I've got a set of the slinky acoustics on my acoustic.

11-52 I think.

Not bad.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I love my power slinkys for general use. Heavy enough to chug, yet light enough to bend.

However, for guitars I keep in drop C or lower, i like Not Even Slinkeys.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
umm wow.

for D standard i use their set of 11s (not power slinkies)

for E standard i either use the 10-46 set or the 10-56 set depending on the scale length of the guitar
The dark orange ones. They're like a heavy bottom/normal top set or something. (10-52 or 56?) Been thinking about different brands though, but the set I have on right now has lasted about 5 months now and seem to be going good, so I'm not going to change yet.
I pride myself on my humility.
i use regular slinkys right now but im going to switch to power slinkys i think
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Regular Slinky for my LP in standard, and Power Slinky for my Tele half a step down. That is, when I'm not using D'addarios. Marfle boots.
I am a fake mountain.
After I put my strings on, I noticed that my bridge was floating. Can anyone help?
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgvhGp2lac4tjD4ZNV4ejfG4pW6qSKBSapMCNsvYsNc76DtJSpVg

That is not my guitar, just a pic I got on the Internet. That is what my bridge looks like.

Now my high E string just broke so I am not going to touch the bridge. The bridge is not as bad as it was, so I'll just leave it alone.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 7, 2011,
I loooove the skinny top heavy bottoms. Decided to try them out for kicks, and fell in love with them.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I like Beefy Slinkys. I use them for everything from standard to 1 1/2 steps down.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by kutless999
After I put my strings on, I noticed that my bridge was floating. Can anyone help?
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgvhGp2lac4tjD4ZNV4ejfG4pW6qSKBSapMCNsvYsNc76DtJSpVg

That is not my guitar, just a pic I got on the Internet. That is what my bridge looks like.

Now my high E string just broke so I am not going to touch the bridge. The bridge is not as bad as it was, so I'll just leave it alone.

You've changed your gauge of strings, right? If you have the same bridge as the one in the photo you will need to setup the guitar to accommodate. Take it down to your local guitar shop and they should be be able to sort it out for you.
Quote by kutless999

If it's floating like that and you don't want it to, all you have to do is increase the tension of the springs in the back cavity of your guitar. Either add another spring or tighten the screws that hold the tremolo claw that holds the springs. Loosen your strings before you increase the spring tension, just in case.

And for god's sake, don't take it to a shop. Learn how to work on your own instrument.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by JonnyMonster91
If it's floating like that and you don't want it to, all you have to do is increase the tension of the springs in the back cavity of your guitar. Either add another spring or tighten the screws that hold the tremolo claw that holds the springs. Loosen your strings before you increase the spring tension, just in case.

And for god's sake, don't take it to a shop. Learn how to work on your own instrument.

Yea, but thats how I broke one of my strings by tightening the springs. I know someone who can fix it. Thanks for the help.
10-52- Skinny top heavy bottoms for chunky riffs and easy bends.
Gear:
Fender American Tele (Lefty)
Squier Affinity Strat (Lefty)
Boss DS-1
EHX Small Clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Laney LG12
Danelectro FAB Flanger (Rubbish)