I've been listening to a lot of shoegaze and dream pop lately... yeah I know.

Here's something I've been working on, sorry only RSE GP5.

C4C of course. Will write as much as you write.

Attachments:
pop.gp5
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Despite you saying that it was RSE only I still listened to your song and I've gotta say I like it. When I saw pop, I made the misguided assumption that it might be a generic progression I've heard over and over again, but it wasn't.

You've done a pretty good job at establishing the feel and sticking to it. The chords you use tend to keep alot of the same notes but it helps keep that suspended, dreamy feel. The synth vocals and all of the effects also do a good job at contributing to the feel of the song. I don't think there was a moment where I thought some effect really didn't belong or that you needed something to fill in the space. The song has good flow also; it felt like it just kind of steers itself through to the end and you're just along for a nice quiet ride.

I have to mention section VI, not because I think it's bad though. Actually, I like the sudden change in feel you bring here. The drums themselves feel a bit off time, but it contributes to a more glitchy feel (don't know if that was your intention). It kind of turns the pace a bit; everything was feeling pretty calm before and now the drums come in nice and loud and it gets much more dramatic. The 'fermata' type feel with the 6/4 time adds to the tension a little bit too.

The only real quip I have with this is your ending... It feels way too abrupt. The song feels like it should have a fade out sort of thing at the end. The snare right at the end give the whole thing a weird cutoff. But that's really the only bad thing I hear with this.

If you could crit my song, I would really appreciate it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448618
Wow, this was great, I really liked the songs you achieved with the percussion plus the synth instruments. Ive never heard anything like that done in Guitar Pro, fantastic job there. But yeah, are you finished with it? I think you need a better outro, it just didn't sound like a good ending at all. But yeah, besides that, great great job.
Quote by Dregen
Despite you saying that it was RSE only I still listened to your song and I've gotta say I like it. When I saw pop, I made the misguided assumption that it might be a generic progression I've heard over and over again, but it wasn't.

You've done a pretty good job at establishing the feel and sticking to it. The chords you use tend to keep alot of the same notes but it helps keep that suspended, dreamy feel. The synth vocals and all of the effects also do a good job at contributing to the feel of the song. I don't think there was a moment where I thought some effect really didn't belong or that you needed something to fill in the space. The song has good flow also; it felt like it just kind of steers itself through to the end and you're just along for a nice quiet ride.

I have to mention section VI, not because I think it's bad though. Actually, I like the sudden change in feel you bring here. The drums themselves feel a bit off time, but it contributes to a more glitchy feel (don't know if that was your intention). It kind of turns the pace a bit; everything was feeling pretty calm before and now the drums come in nice and loud and it gets much more dramatic. The 'fermata' type feel with the 6/4 time adds to the tension a little bit too.

The only real quip I have with this is your ending... It feels way too abrupt. The song feels like it should have a fade out sort of thing at the end. The snare right at the end give the whole thing a weird cutoff. But that's really the only bad thing I hear with this.

If you could crit my song, I would really appreciate it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448618

Quote by Mean Mr Mustard
Wow, this was great, I really liked the songs you achieved with the percussion plus the synth instruments. Ive never heard anything like that done in Guitar Pro, fantastic job there. But yeah, are you finished with it? I think you need a better outro, it just didn't sound like a good ending at all. But yeah, besides that, great great job.

Thanks a lot, I'll get onto your C4C Dregen, right away.

Hey, Mr Mustard, did you want me to crit anything for you?

I agree with both of you about the ending, I was going for a 'glitch' type thing, and I know it comes on a bit suddenly. It's an idea that I've been playing with for a while now, I'm not sure whether to let it go or think up a better transition, I'm quite attached to it .

Any Ideas?

edit: Oh, and apart from the outro it's *pretty much* done, there's a few mixing issues here and there that I'm not entirely happy with (particularly the guitar solo bit in the middle somewhere) but I guess that's something I'll address If I ever record the thing.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Last edited by Julz127 at Jun 7, 2011,
Cheers for the crit.

This is a really nice song. Almost makes me think of God is an Astronaut at some points actually. The synth melodies are really nice and that guitar solo kinda thing in Section V works nicely, but I think you could do even more with that. Section III was one of my favourite parts. The drums were pretty cool as well, but I think you could've added a few fancy drum moments to vary it a bit.

Section VI was good but I didn't expect it to end there, I was just a bit disappointed with that ending. I'm not sure maybe you wanna have a climax-kinda section come after VI with a bit of a buildup, like have a grand section with cross-melodies and chords, if that makes sense. And then you could finish it off with another quiet section. Just a suggestion that I'm imagining in my head, but either way I think you need to change Section VI(I wouldn't though because I liked this bit) or add more to it to create a better outro.

Nice piece overall, quite different to what you normally see on here, maybe just work on those few little bits I mentioned and it could be so much better. Would be nice to hear this recorded too.