Alright, so as some of you may have seen, i recently got my first proper tube amp. A 69? Fender bassman. It was all original, the guy never played it, although I knew eventually I'd have to get it recapped, and sooner than I wanted new tubes. Well when I turned it on today there was no sound. Although when I played I noticed a small amplification of the note, but I wasn't hearing it from the speaker? It was litterally coming from one of the power tubes.. It was like a rattling, but it as also the note. Ocasionally the sound would POP on and it would be fine.

Now ever since I got it, the tubes glowed very dimly, but I didn't know if that was normal. Bear in mind they are the original RCA tubes they put in.

Do I need to change the tubes? Is it just that one bad power tube? Sorry this is my first tube amp. Also, On said tube, when it glows red, the plate inside it actually has a white spot or something, it looks like it is something where pain would have been but now isn't, I know thats not it but thats the best way i can describe it.

Thanks guys.. Heres some shitty pics to help.

crappy pics would be an understatement. ha. but yes get new tubes, from the pictures they loook worn out. could definitely help. i would just take it to the tech, put the money in it now to get recapped and checked out. this is a 40yr old amp. take care of this baby
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by thejester
crappy pics would be an understatement. ha. but yes get new tubes, from the pictures they loook worn out. could definitely help. i would just take it to the tech, put the money in it now to get recapped and checked out. this is a 40yr old amp. take care of this baby

Yeah I'm definitely taking it to a tech. Do you think its nothing more than tubes at this point? I mean it still plays at normal volume like 90% of the time, its just it will randomly be soundless, and have the slight noise coming from the one power tube but thats it. Then It pops back on.. I really dig this amp, but I'm debating just getting it retubed and flipping in on craigslist because I only payed $200 for it and people shell out a lot for even the sf around here.
I figured I'd just post here instead of starting a new thread. I guess I'm gonna have to get some new power tubes.. 6l6's . Any particular brands you would recomend? If I must order online I will, but do places like guitar center have a decent selection of tubes at all? I'm not looking to go outrageous with some of the nos tubes and what not. But I don't want the cheapest of the cheap either. The reason I'm hesitant to order online is that I have a show relatively soon.
hey there. i think its mainly the tubes. my friend and a 68 drip edge super reverb and had similar problems until he got the cap job and tubes then his played amazing. i have personally always found groove tubes are great with fenders. you dont need to spend 300 on NOS to get great tone although some people think otherwise. groove tubes are pretty middle of the road, you will get good life and good tone.

if you want a more of a marshally tone (considering the first jtm45 marshall was based on the bassman) i would recommend 'Winged C'. These are svetlanas but cannot be sold under that name in the US. A great way with super fast shipping is tubesandmore.com They have a huge selection and some of the best prices if you live in the lower 48 US
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I had the same problem with an old amp of mine and was dead sure it needed a retube. I got it serviced and it wasn't the case. Just take it to a tech.

Oh and based on your above post, it will be much easier to flip an amp that sounds perfect than one in this condition. I'd bet that you'd be able to recoup your tech fees even if it turned out to be quite pricey.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 6, 2011,
black sable!

i got these in a matched pair nom nom nom

http://www.tubedepot.com/bsct-ecc83g-jj.html

i think my head had some cheapo JJ's in them? they werent dead when i replaced mine, but i got my head second hand so i figured id just replace them when i had the money haha

anyways, great tubes. pricey, but great.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
That 'red glow' in the right hand tube in the pic (going off what I can see) is known as red plating and should never happen to a power tube during normal use, it's a sign of the tube overloading. I would replace at minimum your power tubes immediately to avoid any further damage.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
That 'red glow' in the right hand tube in the pic (going off what I can see) is known as red plating and should never happen to a power tube during normal use, it's a sign of the tube overloading. I would replace at minimum your power tubes immediately to avoid any further damage.

Could it just be the fact that the tubes are over 40 years old? Or does it most likely needs rebiased..
Quote by Fender/marshall
Could it just be the fact that the tubes are over 40 years old? Or does it most likely needs rebiased..

Tube age doesn't necessarily equate to worn out tubes, I have tubes from as far back as the late 1930's that still run beautifully and strongly, it's just dependant on how well the tube has been treated in it's lifetime. In fact, all of my amps are using tubes from late 40's to mid 60's in them, with no issues whatsoever.
My advice would be to get the amp checked by a qualified tech and have any drifting components replaced to begin with, just to be on the safe side. Any good amp tech worth his salt should have a tube tester to check the condition of your current tubes, and replace them if necessary as well.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!