Page 1 of 2
Let me start off by saying: By Brand-Name Guitar companies, i mean Gibson, Fender etc....essentially guitar companies whose name influences their prices...ALOT. Much like the quote that i tell my friends: "When you buy a Gibson, your buying a pretty good guitar and a 800$ headstock."

I'm basically wondering what some good quality "lesser known" guitar companies. I've heard Agile is basically the king of the "Generic" guitar companies...I've also heard of Hell Guitars (I'll post a video of one of their guitars a bit later). Those are BASICALLY the only ones i can name right off the bat.

I'm pretty much looking for a good guitar company that is relatively unknown to the mass public.

Heres that Hell Guitar i was talking about:

Hell BENDER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j59Zh_nJup8

Any links, recommendations, advice etc. will help. PLEASE...if you have nothing good to say, don't post...i don't want a troll fest. Thanks!
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Vineyard although they seem to be really hard to find these days. i have one of their strats and it is my fav guitar (despite owning an 88 fender stratocaster plus deluxe). stays in tune fantastically (considering it has a 6 screw fender style bridge) and the pickups are way better than your average cheapie.
Cool, i'll see if i can find one...Im trying to find a new guitar thats under 800$....i've been eyeing Agile for ages now, but i figured i might as well try to expand into new, somewhat uncharted territory.

EDIT: Im also looking for a massive upgrade over my Epiphone Les Paul.
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Jun 6, 2011,
I think you mean mass-produced and I don't really know of any so I'm gonna be following this thread.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Michael Kelly guitars are meant to be very good.

Also Cort seems popular also. Have a look at them.
Rondo music, Italia, DiPinto, Eastwood, Arbor, and to probably a good many people Danelectro
There's a brand called "Renegade", which does knockoffs of(to my knowledge)SGs, LPs and Teles, and my lead guitarist bought a Renegade Tele for $300 new, the thing stays in tune perfectly and sounds killer for just about everything(my lead plays everything from Tom Waits to The White Stripes to Sepultura and everything in between, and while he's looking for a Jackson to play his metal on, it's served admirably in the year and a half he's owned it), but after searching we can't find a brand with a matching logo, and the only brand to come up as "Renegade" online is a guy who does handmade Strats, but these were upwards of $800, and we only saw Strats on the site. Also, not sure if they're classifiable as unknown, per se, but Eastwood makes some really nice-sounding, well-built guitars at great prices.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by AcousticMirror
blackmachine

I looked them up...they actually looked pretty promising, but when i went to look at the price (i hit "Order") apparently they're closing down or something...2011 (i guess) is the last year they're making guitars, and they've already closed their doors...
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
inb4 Agile/SX/Douglas.

If you literally wanted a guitar with no brand name on it, look for some 60's and 70's guitars on craigslist by Teisco or Kay.
Quote by Woffelz
Kramer?

Kramer were the biggest brand of the 80's and they're currently owned by Gibson. But none the less Kramer still are an amazing brand.
Caparison!!! Vigier!!!
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Quote by RockGuitarist09
Kramer were the biggest brand of the 80's and they're currently owned by Gibson. But none the less Kramer still are an amazing brand.

Kramer was actually one of my favorite brands when i was a teen. Unfortunately, their fame has basically zeroed out.

EDIT: I didn't know that they were owned by Gibson...i guess you learn something new everyday though lol. Still, when i was younger, it was THE guitar of the house...my dad owned like 3 of them and each one was amazing. I might actually have to look more into them...i had almost completely forgot about Kramer
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
inb4 Agile/SX/Douglas.

If you literally wanted a guitar with no brand name on it, look for some 60's and 70's guitars on craigslist by Teisco or Kay.

K, will do
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
I looked them up...they actually looked pretty promising, but when i went to look at the price (i hit "Order") apparently they're closing down or something...2011 (i guess) is the last year they're making guitars, and they've already closed their doors...

no that's the last year their are taking spec orders.

he's making whatever he wants for a year.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

Ah, cool! I'll look a bit more into them then lol
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
They're still probably gonna be super expensive
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by sonny bb
They're still probably gonna be super expensive

ah...are they normally really expensive? I didnt see a price for anything on that site
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Gary Kramer Guitar (GKG) They are super quality and virtually unknown. He is the Original Kramer man of the 80's, he is not affiliated with Gibson/Kramer at all.

You will have to wait for their new 2011 line to come out before you can see what will be available. They claim they will be out this month, right now there is nothing available at all on there site.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jun 6, 2011,
daemoness.

if you want a cheap guitar why don't you just say I want a cheap guitar.
Quote by AcousticMirror
daemoness.

if you want a cheap guitar why don't you just say I want a cheap guitar.

He said he was looking to vastly improve from his Epiphone. He also said that he wanted to spend less than 800$.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
oh you're not gonna find a massive upgrade for 800 bucks new.

Any ibanez prestige used will be a great upgrade.

a charvel promod is just a little out of your budget but it's the only thing for around 800 that's significantly better.
if we're talking boutique custom makers and shit..

Blackmachine
Jaden Rose
Mayones
Steinberger
KxK
Daemoness
Vigier
Decibel Guitars

EDIT: Upon properly reading the thread, if he only wants to spend less than $800, I don't see why having a known brand or not matters.
Last edited by Arterial at Jun 6, 2011,
Jay Turser, if you get one of the higher models (i.e. My 220CS )

and Kona. Kona is a GREAT guitar company and very cheap. Not in quality. I have a Kona kids strat that is one of my favorite sounding guitars

it's too small for my hands though
Godin Guitars is a Canadian company that makes some pretty good high quality stuff, I've seen many people play them, and they seem like pretty good guitars.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Godin Guitars is a Canadian company that makes some pretty good high quality stuff, I've seen many people play them, and they seem like pretty good guitars.

I can second this, Godins are rarely attractive but theyre great.
Rally guitars... they have some really nice LPs on a budget.

Quote by AcousticMirror

+1 if you reread it carefully... it looks like he's running outta wood. He'll probably go source for wood or re-think his operations before he starts up again.

BTW... nice suggestions on the Blackmachine & daemoness guitars Min.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 7, 2011,
if you are looking for a really high quality cheaper guitar that is not necessarily unknown, but not posted about on here to often, is Peavey.

i have two Peavey Wolfgangs, extraordinary guitars, they play better than the EVH branded ones that are currently on the market. i payed ~$400 for each one.

also i have a 1984 American Peavey Horizon II, and it is an excellent guitar all around. picked it up for $100.

peavey USA put some really nice guitars out in the 80's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have two Peavey Wolfgangs, extraordinary guitars, they play better than the EVH branded ones that are currently on the market. i payed ~$400 for each one.

Haha... those is essentially the same guitar as the EVH Wolfgang.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Rally guitars... they have some really nice LPs on a budget.

+1 if you reread it carefully... it looks like he's running outta wood. He'll probably go source for wood or re-think his operations before he starts up again.

BTW... nice suggestions on the Blackmachine & daemoness guitars Min.

I really want one but they won't make me a hollow
Quote by zincabopataurio

YES!!!

especially the richmond line. they aren't too ugly (which is gorgeous by Godin standards), they play great, sound amazing and have very nice, small numbers on the price tags
Quote by AcousticMirror
I really want one but they won't make me a hollow

Don't you already have that PRS semi-hollow?

Oh wait... remind me again what is it exactly that you DO NOT have?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Don't you already have that PRS semi-hollow?

Oh wait... remind me again what is it exactly that you DO NOT have?

Ya but I want a hollow seven string. Anderson refused to hollow my drop top 7 too and he won't make me a hollow baritone

Page 1 of 2