Title.

He currently has an Epiphone T-Bird bass, and a Fender Rumble 60 amp. We play post-hardcore/metalcore, and he wants to get that really grindy bass sound. I said that a nice overdrive pedal will probably give him that sound.

He sometimes uses a DS-1, but man it sounds pretty bad, even with a normal guitar. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.
Bass big muff, fender sub-lime, zvex woolly mammoth, way huge swollen pickle, sansamp bass driver
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Mad Professor Blueberry bass overdrive /Thread
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Tech 21 VT...it's essentially an "SVT in a box" so amp emlulator, but the tonal variety is amazing, and you can dial in a really good grindy punk/hardcore OD tone really very easily...I never leave home without mine
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Title.

He currently has an Epiphone T-Bird bass, and a Fender Rumble 60 amp. We play post-hardcore/metalcore, and he wants to get that really grindy bass sound.

Good luck trying to get a grinding tone with that setup, that amp were just not cut it in a band (especially not a metal band) and the Thunderbird is the least grindy bass you can have. Tell him to trade the Tbird for a Squier or an Ibanez.

I'd recommend a Zoom B2 Multi-Effect. Lots of distortion modeling, a noise gate, compressor, EQ, etc. Everything a bassist needs really.
Quote by Spaz91
Good luck trying to get a grinding tone with that setup, that amp were just not cut it in a band (especially not a metal band) and the Thunderbird is the least grindy bass you can have. Tell him to trade the Tbird for a Squier or an Ibanez.

I'd recommend a Zoom B2 Multi-Effect. Lots of distortion modeling, a noise gate, compressor, EQ, etc. Everything a bassist needs really.

I've noticed that the sound he gets with the humbuckers on the bass is nothing like what a post-hardcore/metalcore band sounds like, and lots of them use J-basses, or basically anything with a split pickup. The T-bird is his dream bass, so no chance in getting rid of that.

The sound he gets right now is pretty ballsy, though.
If anything I'd go for a Hartke Bass Attack VXL or a Sansamp Bass Driver to get anything near that sound.
I know what you mean man. I've being going through trying to find the best distortion I could for that genre. I HATED the grind channel of my Line 6 Lowdown because everytime I got it to sound good away from band practice, it sounded like a solo project. I would suggest a Boss Metalzone. It goes well in them brutal breakdowns.
Alot of hardcore bands use driven SVTs or Orange (better out of the two IMO, listen to later gallows or converge), but a Boss ODB3 or Sansamp (budget permitting) would be a better bet.
Try boosting the treble and low mids on the amp to give it a slightly scooped sound, not too much though and add a touch of overdrive from one of the pedals. Play with a pick and maybe try soloing the bridge pick up on the bass, or the neck and see if that helps as well.