Hey guys,

I just purchased a new bass from my brother in-law and I have not gotten a case for it yet. I am flying home with it on Southwest Airlines and I was wondering if I should get a soft case here to fly it home on or get a hard case?

Will Southwest let me fly it home as checked baggage or make me put it underneath?

Also, any other tips for flying home a bass?
*Guitars:
Fender Aerodyne Bass
Schecter Stiletto Elite Bass
ESP LTD B-155 Bass
Dean Edge 8-String Bass
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight Guitar
You definitely will not be able to carry it on, it'll have to go underneath. That said, i would definitely get a hard case for it.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Hard case. I've flown with guitars/basses numerous times and always checked them with no problem. I wouldn't ever send a soft case/gig bag down there.
and get try getting it in the heated compartment. its really stone cold up there bass is not gonna like that
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
It will definitely go underneath. Not saying that a carry on is out of the question completely, but like said before check with the Airliner.
A hard case is HIGHLY recommended for this. I would would not leave room for error and damage with a soft case.
Although, I did have a buddy fly over to England with his really nice Taylor in a soft case. Surprisingly, it came out fine.

EDIT/PROTIP: Loosen the tension of the strings on the instrument.

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Jun 6, 2011,
If it gets broken write a song about it.....much like that guy who wrote the song about united airlines (I think)
what about carrying it on the plane? Can I store it in an overhead bin? What about gate checking it?
*Guitars:
Fender Aerodyne Bass
Schecter Stiletto Elite Bass
ESP LTD B-155 Bass
Dean Edge 8-String Bass
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight Guitar
Quote by ElCapitan143
what about carrying it on the plane? Can I store it in an overhead bin? What about gate checking it?

These are questions you should be asking on the phone with an employee of the airline. This is one of those situations where you'll get mainly anecdotal answers, which vary wildly, and the only place you will get stone cold fact is from the company.
Ring the airline to see if you can take it on board, they may let you store it in the captain's compartment (I've heard of it happening before). If you can't take it on board, don't stop at hard case, get the most rugged flight case you can find. I wouldn't trust airport baggage handlers with my pride and joy.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
It's going to be a hassle, even if the people down there are gentle I can't imagine the rigors of un climate controlled flight with a hundred other peoples junk is idea. I'd be prepared to get a hardcase, but as everyone else said, calling ahead and perhaps checking your other baggage and getting it obnoxiously stored in the overhead bin will work

caution contents may shift during flight!
Detach the neck if its a bolt on?
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
I have taken instruments recently on Southwest. They will not let you take the instrument on board unless it meets the measurement requirements for carry ons. No exceptions.

For Southwest that is; 10 x 16 x 24. 40 lbs. maximum of 62 Linear inches (l + w + h).

So if you want to keep the bass intact, buy a well padded flight case. I have had really great experiences with Southwest baggage and not so great.

My bass came through well. However, the rest of my luggage took a detour to another airport.
Last edited by anarkee at Jun 6, 2011,
You can't carry a bass onto a southwest plane. But I have this case, and it's no problem. The locks are TSA approved, so you can lock it up... check it with the rest of your luggage, and you have no worries.

Most companies make at least one TSA approved hard-case.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-SKB-Molded-Left-Handed-J-or-P-Bass-Case-105301360-i1482352.gc
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by anarkee
I have taken instruments recently on Southwest. They will not let you take the instrument on board unless it meets the measurement requirements for carry ons. No exceptions.

For Southwest that is; 10 x 16 x 24. 40 lbs. maximum of 62 Linear inches (l + w + h).

So if you want to keep the bass intact, buy a well padded flight case. I have had really great experiences with Southwest baggage and not so great.

My bass came through well. However, the rest of my luggage took a detour to another airport.

The last time I was on Southwest, someone carried on an acoustic hard case
and stored it in the overhead compartment. It was roughly the size of my Guild 12 String case which is relatively large. So yea it is possible but I always check my guitar
b/c it's not worth getting stuck and missing the flight. I also leave it unlocked b/c TSA needs to open it. I've seen a few other acoutic soft cases make it through as carry on..
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
They have to let you carry it on TSA says so. Search "tsa instrument letter" if you a flying on a big plane, they can put it in the closet. If you aren't, get a hard case, it will be ok( I did that a few weeks ago) they will carry it down. It was fine. It didn't fit in the overhead because it's semi hollow. But if you are in a big plane, a soft case will do.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem