Hi Guys, I hope i have posted in the right forum, any help would be grateful, here goes...

I have been playing guitar on and off for 1 1/2 - 2 year. In the beginning all i was interested in was playing some oasis songs to sing along to. However i have now become bored of playing same old song from oasis, greenday, verve ect ect looking at tabs/songs that i can do. A guy at work wanted me to join his band (nothing major just in a local pub) however i had to let him down, as he was talking about power chords, scales, octaves, playing solo's ect. At present I can play most open chords (C.A.G.E.D) and slowly getting there with the "G" Barre chord. I can not pick songs at present i just simply strum my way through them.

I now want to take my guitar playing to another level but i am stuck, in terms of i do not know what next to study. Looking at some sites they mention 12 bar blues scale, petonic scale, power chord shapes, barre chord shapes, triplet rhythms, using metronomes?

Im just abit confused on how i can go to the next level, any advice would be much appreciated
Quote by Smgawt
Hi Guys, I hope i have posted in the right forum, any help would be grateful, here goes...

I have been playing guitar on and off for 1 1/2 - 2 year. In the beginning all i was interested in was playing some oasis songs to sing along to. However i have now become bored of playing same old song from oasis, greenday, verve ect ect looking at tabs/songs that i can do. A guy at work wanted me to join his band (nothing major just in a local pub) however i had to let him down, as he was talking about power chords, scales, octaves, playing solo's ect. At present I can play most open chords (C.A.G.E.D) and slowly getting there with the "G" Barre chord. I can not pick songs at present i just simply strum my way through them.

I now want to take my guitar playing to another level but i am stuck, in terms of i do not know what next to study. Looking at some sites they mention 12 bar blues scale, petonic scale, power chord shapes, barre chord shapes, triplet rhythms, using metronomes?

Im just abit confused on how i can go to the next level, any advice would be much appreciated

Barre chords definitely would be a good next step. Try the shapes like F/Fm and B/Bm, if at first they are too hard to press down on guitar (they were for me) slide the shape up the neck so they are easier to barre, until you get used to them.

12 bar blues is also something you are probably ready for, easy to play, change and play with other, and it does sound great. Power chord shapes are pretty simple if you know the barre chords I mentioned previously, most power chords are just variations from those. Wouldn't worry about triplet rhymths, metronomes can be helpful but it's just a tool to help you keep track of musical time.

Perhaps just play with this guy at work a couple times? See what you need improved on etc (I'm assuming he's a bit better?)

Also, a teacher is usually a good help if possible.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Practice and learn theory. And listen to better music
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything