Hey,

I'm about to start a new project for my next guitar, I absolutely want either the fernandes sustainer or the sustainiac on it, but i dont want to have to use their shitty pickups as my neck position. So I'm wondering, if I bought the single coil size sustainer, and a Seymour Duncan little 59er, and put them both in the humbucking slot, would i be able to use the sustainers driver when I want the effect, but use the little 59er as my neck pickup? I seen someone on youtube who was planning on doing this but they never posted the second part of the video so i dont know how it turned out. And plus his was a home built sustainer.

Any help will be appreciated, hopefully someone will be able to find or tell me a way to do this because this would make my dream guitar a reality.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
It's possible - i think Phil Collen has it that way in his new signature jackson. I reckon you could wire the sustainer direct to the volume pot via a dpdt switch. so that you could turn it on and off independently of the 3/5 way switch your humbuckers would be wired to.
yh then you could have bridge+sustainer, both+sustainer or neck+sustainer.
Thanks alot man! Couldn't you just wire the sustainer to its own volume pot and use the switches that come with it, and then wire the neck/bridge pickups like normal except with a master tone for both pickups, or is that what you meant?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna know what the best way to do this would be.
It's possible, but the switching needs to be such that the sustainer is always *disabled* except when the bridge pickup is selected on your pickup selector switch. This avoids nasty feedback squeal.
Its possible, but the sustainer will probably interfere with the neck pickup if you use both at the same time (you'll get heaps of feedback and it'll sound shite).
As long as you don't use the sustainer and the neck pickup at one time it'll be fine.

Oh, and the Phil Collins signature Jackson just has the standard single sized sustainer driver in the neck, which is also a pickup. IIRC it doesn't run as a sustainer and pickup at the same time, it automatically goes to the bridge position when you turn the sustainer on.
Quote by littlephil
Its possible, but the sustainer will probably interfere with the neck pickup if you use both at the same time

Which is why I said wire it must be wired in this manner...

Quote by HankMcSpank
It's possible, but the switching needs to be such that the sustainer is always *disabled* except when the bridge pickup is selected on your pickup selector switch. This avoids nasty feedback squeal.

FWIW Here's a rough 'n ready youtube video of mine, where I'm experimenting with a standalone sustainer driver (in order to keep the guitar's neck pickups of my own choosing)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106Se7AHknc

...so technically, that would be another option....ie keep your neck pickup of choice & then squeeze in a sustainer driver coil next to it....but then you'd have to look at making your own (it's not easy) or pay me lol!
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Jun 7, 2011,
I spent the guts of 2 years, brushing up my dormant electronics skills, building a custom winder, winding coils, rewinding coils, testing different wire gauges, testing different magnet combos (don't believe all the tosh you read on forums by those who claim to be sustainer experts & love the sound of their own voice) trialling different AGC circuits, learning how to program PICS, etc etc ...I finally arrived somewhre I thought was good (ie some major wins over the commercial offerings which I'm not gonna declare here!)

That project is parked up pending me sorting some other cool stuff, but I will retuurn to it soon with a view to selling (I've just lost my proper job!)
Got any advice for someone who'd like to build one, but without giving up your trade secrets? Maybe just the basics that can be found other places on the web.
My advice (& I'm not being clever), is buy a damn guitar with one fitted. DIYing is an ordeal... pulling all the parts together can be expensive (eg nobody typically sells the needed magnet wire in small amounts, so you'll end up with a load of extra uneeded wire) ....most 'self proclaimed' DIY sustainer experts on the web, haven't even offered up a schematic! (the emperor has no clothes?)...so you'll spend hours trying to find the info...but then realise you're pretty much on your own.

Some have claimed a degree of success matching a self wound driver coil up with a fetzer ruby amp...but in my opinion that particular combo blows (way too basic ...it might get you some sustain, but it'll leave you wanting)

Any decent sustainer needs an automatic gain control (AGC), it needs smart switching (else you'll get louds pops/bangs &/or squeals when you turn it on), a degree of filtering, some phase correction, careful attention to power consumption (who wants to change out an expensive 9V battery every couple of hours?)....again, without trying to come across as a smug twat, most of this stuff is not covered off in the basic DIY offerings that abound on the net.

ProjectGuitar.com seems to be the place where most DIY sustainerheads go....but the mods there a very cliquey & tend to let 'old ties' get in the way of fair & proper moderation.

Like I say.....s/h fernandes guitars are fairly priced on Ebay....this is a far easier & more fulfilling path for most!