For example, G Major...just the G major scale. Would its relative minor....the E minor scale, can the E minor Pentatonic scale be played over a G Major progression and still be "right"? I mean it sounds right but I'm just trying to brush up on my scale relations.
It would resolve to G, so it wouldn't be E minor pentatonic. It would be called G major pentatonic, which has all the same notes, just G is the tonic. So yeah it does work, just know that it's called G major pentatonic and not E minor.

Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
It would resolve to G, so it wouldn't be E minor pentatonic. It would be called G major pentatonic, which has all the same notes, just G is the tonic. So yeah it does work, just know that it's called G major pentatonic and not E minor.

I wonder why that is??? It makes sense, its like if that's the case then why not name the current E minor scale in relation to G major...umm...G minor scale lol.

btw, Chili Peppers unleashed a hash full of new info on their new album today. I'm so stoked.
Quote by FlexEXP
I wonder why that is??? It makes sense, its like if that's the case then why not name the current E minor scale in relation to G major...umm...G minor scale lol.

They are both derived from the same set of notes (major and minor scale). Check it out:

G major: G A B C D E F#
E minor: E F# G A B C D

What's important is that you differentiate between your tonal center (what key is the song in?) If you know anything about harmony and chord progressions, you'll know that the whole point of harmonic progression is to establish a tonal center. Major keys and minor keys are two different ways of arriving at a similar conclusion.

Besides, G minor is already taken by this set of notes: G A Bb C D Eb F
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
It "works" because the notes of Gmaj and the notes of Emin are exactly the same. So you can improv in Emin over a Gmaj progression. Itd be the same as improv using the Gmaj scale over a progression in Gmaj. You wouldn't be able to use Gmin over a progression in Gmaj bc the notes are different. Unless you're going for an "out there dissonance" kind of thing
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by soviet_ska
They are both derived from the same set of notes (major and minor scale). Check it out:

G major: G A B C D E F#
E minor: E F# G A B C D

What's important is that you differentiate between your tonal center (what key is the song in?) If you know anything about harmony and chord progressions, you'll know that the whole point of harmonic progression is to establish a tonal center. Major keys and minor keys are two different ways of arriving at a similar conclusion.

Besides, G minor is already taken by this set of notes: G A Bb C D Eb F

Ok for example, Eric Clapton's "Wonderful tonight"....classic song in G. I notice that most of the tabs have the solo played in Em penta. I know they are the same notes so thats why I asked but I'm glad I did because know I can start applying the Major Penta scales to my arsenal.
Ya bud, G major and G minor are two totally different scales (although both resolve to G, I understand that) so you can't just call a G pentatonic a G minor scale, thats just all wrong, it would take a hell of a player to make G minor sound great over G major, Realize also that the notes of the scale make up the chords of the key, so this also changes everything, so we have our major qualities (I,ii,iii,IV,V,vi,viidim) and our minor qualities (i,iidim,III,iv,v or V,VI,VII) (lower case are minor chords), so in the key of G major G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim, and in G minor, Gm, Edim, B, Cm, Dm or D, E, F#......big difference huh?

EDIT: Oops, in true harmonic minor the 7th degree is a vii dim with a dominant V, my fault
Last edited by sar8777 at Jun 6, 2011,
Mr Miliband in for the question.

You have G major progression and want to play E minor pentatonic over it.
Since it will resolve to G, you are actually playing G major pentatonic over it.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by FlexEXP
Ok for example, Eric Clapton's "Wonderful tonight"....classic song in G. I notice that most of the tabs have the solo played in Em penta. I know they are the same notes so thats why I asked but I'm glad I did because know I can start applying the Major Penta scales to my arsenal.

Well it's actually just G major pentatonic then. Same pattern but the chord to that song are G - C - D (I think, been a while) so it's not gonna want to resolve to E.

G minor is a different scale, just think of major and minor with their relatives, you shouldn't go wrong.

Quote by sar8777
Ya bud, G major and G minor are two totally different scales (although both resolve to G, I understand that) so you can't just call a G pentatonic a G minor scale, thats just all wrong, it would take a hell of a player to make G minor sound great over G major, Realize also that the notes of the scale make up the chords of the key, so this also changes everything, so we have our major qualities (I,ii,iii,IV,V,vi,viidim) and our minor qualities (i,iidim,III,iv,v or V,VI,VII) (lower case are minor chords), so in the key of G major G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim, and in G minor, Gm, Edim, B, Cm, Dm or D, E, F#......big difference huh?

EDIT: Oops, in true harmonic minor the 7th degree is a vii dim with a dominant V, my fault

A blues player?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Last edited by Venice King at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by FlexEXP

I have a feeling that you're confusing scales with patterns. Everyone else here has said the correct thing, that it's actually G major that's being played. Sure you can use the "Em penta" shapes, they're actually shared with G maj penta as they are the same notes. This doesn't mean that you're playing E minor though, because as stated numerous times, it resolves to G.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud