right, so ive hit a barrier in my improving, technique wise. ive been trying to develop my alternate picking, using scale excersises and such, and ive pretty much hit a road block at 120bpm, 16th notes. as i get to the top two strings, my picking goes erratic, it almost feels like the strings are more resistant to the pick, and i find myself missing notes due to this. any help?
god loves the working man. unfortunately, that puts me in deep crap.

you sir, may c*m blood, but i sh*t diamonds, guess which is more painful. especially after curry.

+ =
Quote by wasssup
right, so ive hit a barrier in my improving, technique wise. ive been trying to develop my alternate picking, using scale excersises and such, and ive pretty much hit a road block at 120bpm, 16th notes. as i get to the top two strings, my picking goes erratic, it almost feels like the strings are more resistant to the pick, and i find myself missing notes due to this. any help?

They're thinner strings, so you need a tad more accuracy. Accuracy = by-product of speed.
play a bit faster even though it gets a little sloppy. and play at that speed until its not. and then repeat until your at your desired speed. don't be afraid to mess up.
If you can't play it perfectly at 60bpm you won't be able to do it at 120bpm. Playing really slowly whilst retaining accuracy is surprisingly difficult, but will help a lot.
Quote by AAleadguitar
play a bit faster even though it gets a little sloppy. and play at that speed until its not. and then repeat until your at your desired speed. don't be afraid to mess up.

That's not how it works at all, you need to teach yourself how to play something properly to have any hope of playing it fast.

If you keep trying to play fast in the hope that the mistakes will magically drop out in the wash then you'll just keep making those same mistakes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That's not how it works at all, you need to teach yourself how to play something properly to have any hope of playing it fast.

If you keep trying to play fast in the hope that the mistakes will magically drop out in the wash then you'll just keep making those same mistakes.

Actually, Shawn Lane in one of his guitar clinics said that you should (every once in a while) play at a ridiculous speed that you can't play the riff at to get the 'feel' for it. Although playing something perfectly is very important to guitar playing he stated that sometimes, you should try playing something fast and sloppy and try and reduce the inaccuracies.

But yes, you have to be able to play your riffs slow too
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I currently have a crate blackheart bh112 with a little giant amp head. i was thinking about getting a line 6 spider 4 120 or 150 but i really like my current amp. however i am really liking all the effects the spiderIV has to offer. i would really appreciate some opinions as well as advice on what to choose. trying to keep it cheap because i also plan on purchasing a scheckter damien elite 6 FR and dont want to spend to much. thanks.
Quote by jared009
I currently have a crate blackheart bh112 with a little giant amp head. i was thinking about getting a line 6 spider 4 120 or 150 but i really like my current amp. however i am really liking all the effects the spiderIV has to offer. i would really appreciate some opinions as well as advice on what to choose. trying to keep it cheap because i also plan on purchasing a scheckter damien elite 6 FR and dont want to spend to much. thanks.

And why are you posting it here? It has nothing to do with this thread & it's in the wrong forum
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
If you cant do something, then you havent practiced it enough. Its also true what others have said- you must be able to play it slow before you casn play it fast.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.