Harmonics, easier on a fretless or fretted bass?

Think Portrait of Tracy
[Insert something clever here]
I would imagine on a fretted. Depends on how good you.are on a fretless. Also with a pick
Quote by ETHANEVIL
I would imagine on a fretted. Depends on how good you.are on a fretless. Also with a pick

You don't know what you're talking about.

OT: they're not easier on either, though harmonic sliding is hard if not impossible on a fretted.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I would hazard to say fretted, only because the frets are a point of reference for finding where to play the harmonic.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
yeah harmonics don't need to be fretted so its the same on either bass.

is it still called fretting if your on a fretless instrument?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian

is it still called fretting if your on a fretless instrument?

(Invalid img)

I'VE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by gilly_90

OT: they're not easier on either, though harmonic sliding is hard if not impossible on a fretted.

It's possible on a fretted?!?!?! I must look into this!!!!
Quote by Puppet_616
It's possible on a fretted?!?!?! I must look into this!!!!

You need to be spot on with the technuque on a fretted. Try doing double stop ones as well- I find the easiest and best sounding is the G string 4th fret harmonic and the 5th fret D string harmonic, up to 7th/9th respectively.
...But harmonics are not in any way affiliated with the frets.
I can hit a harmonic on a rubber band stretched across two armrests.

It makes absolutely no difference if it's fretted or not.

Am I wrong here? Someone please tell me how.
the only thing that matters is skill. and if you actually like harmonics lol...
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
the only thing that matters is skill. and if you actually like harmonics lol...

Why wouldn't you?

Access to notes you'd otherwise have to move your whole arm 2 feet away and back to play. Or notes that are higher than your fretboard allows for.

Sounds good to me.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I can pull off sliding harmonics fine on both a fretted and fretless bass, as well as on a guitar. It comes down to practice, alot. Proper technique, good eq-ing. I also find putting on very slight overdrive (mostly for tonal purposes) helps to bring it out. Bridge pickup on a jazz bass or stingray.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.