Hi, I'm going to buy a new electric bass (around $300) in July and I'm pretty new to the whole bass shopping dealio.

I picked out two 4-string basses at Guitar Center that people have recommended and had left good reviews on.

~Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass~
and
~Ibanez SR300 Electric Bass~

For the 5-string bass, I picked out

~Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass Active V 5-String Bass~
and
~Ibanez GSR205FM 5-String Bass

Of course, I'm planning on going to the store and try out basses, but I feel a little more "safe" if I get a general idea on what bass I should lean towards.

I mainly need the bass for my church's praise team which chooses songs mostly in the christian rock & pop genre. I also like to play around at home learning new bass lines in mostly Rock/Jazz/Funk/Pop/Punk.

If you can recommend which bass from the ones I listed, or an entirely different bass, it would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by PandamoniumXT at Jun 6, 2011,
anything but a squier and ull be fine. i vote for 5 strings as well.
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
I only put Squier because alot of people recommended the VM Jazz Bass :P
What's so bad about Squier anyways?
I play guitar and I don't care for the squier strats, but I don't know about the squier basses.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
If I'd not just sold it, I would totally sell my Ibanez BTB series 5 string. If you can find one used for around $400, it's totally worth that extra hundred. Simply amazing sound, so versatile, and unfortunately a bit hard to find.

EDIT: and to contribute, both of those basses kind of suck, but I started with a GSR200 4-string, and it was pretty playable. The 5-string probably will be of similar quality.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Last edited by SaxMachine124 at Jun 6, 2011,
Roll 5, if nothing but for versatility. It's funny, you'll start 4, then 5, then that wont be enough. I'm up to 7 myself but still rocking an Ibanez. Squire or Ibanez is entirely up to you but take a look at stock pick ups and some of the reviews on the sites and as you said, just go play, play, play.
ITT: People going red in the face about Squier without having a goddamn clue.

Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses are widely respected and quality wise, many say they rival Mexican Fenders for a much lower cost.

As for 4 vs 5, in this price range it might be prudent to go for four, because five strings available at this range sacrifice build quality compared to similarly priced four strings. You can always upgrade to a five when you're ready to splash out on your next bass, and still have a solid four string as a backup!

Ibanez SR- series are solid basses for your buck too, though I find the GSR series lacking somewhat, don't feel as sturdy as their SR big bro's. Bear in mind the Ibanez SR300 is an active bass with two big fat humbucker pickups in it, so it'll sound noticeably different compared to the VM Jazz.

As for which one, well, they'll feel quite different. What suits my hands might not suit yours - I personally hate, hate, haaate Ibanez necks, but many Ibanez players can't get on with the Fender/Squier style either. Go play, you'll know it when you've got yer sweaty mitts on it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by Caustic
ITT: People going red in the face about Squier without having a goddamn clue.

Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses are widely respected and quality wise, many say they rival Mexican Fenders for a much lower cost.

As for 4 vs 5, in this price range it might be prudent to go for four, because five strings available at this range sacrifice build quality compared to similarly priced four strings. You can always upgrade to a five when you're ready to splash out on your next bass, and still have a solid four string as a backup!

Ibanez SR- series are solid basses for your buck too, though I find the GSR series lacking somewhat, don't feel as sturdy as their SR big bro's. Bear in mind the Ibanez SR300 is an active bass with two big fat humbucker pickups in it, so it'll sound noticeably different compared to the VM Jazz.

As for which one, well, they'll feel quite different. What suits my hands might not suit yours - I personally hate, hate, haaate Ibanez necks, but many Ibanez players can't get on with the Fender/Squier style either. Go play, you'll know it when you've got yer sweaty mitts on it.

+1 to this man. squiers are awesome. so are ibanez. the gsr 205 is probably the worst bass here, but even that is a pretty solid bass.
no sir away a papaya war is on
The VM jazz bass you showed has a soft maple body.
That is far superior to the agathis body on that Iby
4 string.

On the five string, the Iby has the superior body wood.

But buying a low cost five string can be frustrating, as
mentioned.

My choice of those is the VM, but only the soft maple
version which is obviously better than the Iby with
the agathis body. The other VM's are agathis or bass
wood.

Agathis is fine sound wise, but it won't hold screws and
hardware worth a flip. It will not hold up to heavy use.

Tabdog