Hey guys, just wondering if you can give me any tips about doing an acoustic song for my girlfriend. I'm thinking like fingerpicking type thing, so any scales i could check out for ideas would be great! also any songs you can think of that might help would be ace. thanks in advance! oh and i can't sing...
B whole tone scale is more commonly called "the scale of love" and D melodic minor is the "let's have sex" scale.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
An un plugged, slowed down, ballady version of Metallicas Creeping Death

*nice chord arppegio*
"So let it be written..."
*romantic chord change*
"so let it be done..."
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Play music she likes. As for "scales" major or minor will suit you just fine.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I would use whatever major or minor scale to create a rather simple, but nice melody and then add chords from the key to it in a voicing so that they could be played at the same time as the melody. Or you could do the chords first and then the melody.

Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ImdxPy6lg
or my personal favorite (but maybe not really the style you were looking for, but awesome nonetheless):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-c66SJPuUI
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Venice King
B whole tone scale is more commonly called "the scale of love" and D melodic minor is the "let's have sex" scale.

WONDERWALL again and again and again.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Romance - Frédéric Mesnier nice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Wow thanks for all the ideas guys! More than enough to get me started! i've already played the romance card unfortunately though. Let's have sex scale sounds like a good place to start
If the song doesnt work, you could always club her over the head with your guitar and drag her by the hair back to your cave....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
If the song doesnt work, you could always club her over the head with your guitar and drag her by the hair back to your cave....

lol, stoned age.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Keep it simple. A couple chords with maybe some "embelleshments" or whatever that go with the vocals can go a long way. Don't try to be the next *insert ridiculously talented guitarist/songwriter here*.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Keep it simple. A couple chords with maybe some "embelleshments" or whatever that go with the vocals can go a long way. Don't try to be the next *insert ridiculously talented guitarist/songwriter here*.

This
If she's not a guitar player she won't know how complex something is. You could play the simplest thing and she will love it. As long as it sounds good of course.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by 91RG350

Well that was obviously my last resort!
Major 7th chords!

I call them the "girlfriend chord" Wen teaching the character of a major 7th to my students I give them a little tip. If a girl ever asks them to compose a song on the spot based upon what they think when they look at their girl I tell them to strum a Major 7th, and then proceed to illustrate that with a slow Gmaj7 to Dmaj7 vamp.

Sean