Am I biting off more than I can chew as a beginner with Free's All Right Now? (The tab was in Guitar techniques magazine so I bought it even though they charge about $16 over here )
I had a quick look at it last night and the chord changes seem very difficult and quick (I don't even recognise most of the chord shapes), I'd love to be able to play it as it is a favourite of mine but don't want to screw myself up with something that is beyond my ability at the moment.

What do you think? Is it a case of get my head down and don't let up until I can get it or leave it until I've mastered some easier tunes 1st?

Cheers for the advice.
Yeah, I could do, I just didn't want to try and start something that was beyond me and would be somewhat dis-heartening to fail at.
Even if you only learn part of the song it will be fun.... go for it!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
@ 91RG350: Thanks for the encouragement, I'll have a go.

@ rbouchard47: Really? I'll have to take your word for it as the fingerings on the tab I'm looking at aren't like the chord shapes I know (yet).
Does that mean I could use different fingerings for the chords and get somewhere close to the sound so I can at least get the feel of the rhythm until I am comfortable with the shapes they use on the tab I'm using? (I need to seriously work on my rhythm!)
It's not that hard, your fingers don't actually have to move that much for the intro as long as you put them in the right places. It is, however, one of the most misunderstood riffs around, and if you don't use the right shapes for those chords it's not going to sound right. You've already got the tab so I'll just go into a little more depth regarding the chords you're using.

The A chord is an A5 - there's no 3rd, it's all As and Es which is why is sounds so expansive and bright....use your index to barre the 2nd fret and your pinky to barre the 5th.

e|-5-
B|-5-
G|-2-
D|-2-
A|-0-
E|---

Next chord looks odd at first, but in essence it's just D major.

e|-----
B|---3-
G|---2-
D|-4---
A|-0---
E|-----

......your index finger is the key all the way through this riff, it stays at the 2nd fret. That means to finger this chord from the A it doesn't need to move, just shift your middle finger to the B string and your ring finger to the D string. If you use the one finger per fret rule then the other notes fall right under under your fingers.

Then after another A5 chord you're back to D, starting with a Dsus4, again unconventionally fingered.

e|-----
B|---3-
G|---0-
D|-4---
A|-0---
E|-----

This is the exact same chord as before, so again plant your middle finger on the B string, ring finger on the D string and leave your index finger free for fretting the G string when needed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the reply Mark, you make it sound easy! I'm eager to get home to try that now.

I know this sounds stupid but I think I was going about this the wrong way (completely lifting off to adjust for the next chord) and making things harder for myself than need be.
I've also been trying to figure out the chords and why they were fingered that way and any alternatives since rbouchard47's post (in between doing some actual work which the boss seems to think is necessary) but I don't need to do that now I don't understand the "sus" thing yet anyway so that would of thrown me off, but 1 thing at a time and I'll get there.
Stop biting off more than you can chew
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
meh, it's not a hard song - the hardest thing when I learned it was finding out what those fingerings were...a normal A and D just doesn't sound right,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Even if you HAVE bitten off more than you can chew, don't forget this song will still be there to try again in a months time.... You'll nail it a some point even if you don't get it perfect right now.

Guitar is like that, you may not quite be able to play a song perfectly or fast enough the first time and you may really struggle with the piece, but come back to it a while later and you may find it easy and wonder why you had problems in the first place.

Do what you can, and most of all, just enjoy it....
Update:

Mark, I took your advice last night regarding the fingerings and it all became so much easier. (I'm not sure why I didn't work that out for myself, I guess I just had a blind spot as I was trying so hard.) I got fairly smooth with the changes, although not up to speed and the rhythm sucked but I appreciate that is going to take a lot more practice. Thanks so much, I actually felt like I had made some really good progress last night.

@ Northern Paul: Thanks for the encouragement, what you said makes sense and I will make an effort to keep it in mind. I do tend to get a bit p*****d off if I can't do something, but as you say, I can always come back to it when my skill level has increased.