As the title states,I need help writing out a dominant 7th arpeggio. During my guitar lessons today, my teacher went over arpeggios and assigned me to write out on a neck diagram the A and G (major) dominant 7th arpeggios. So do I write it out as 1st, 3rd, 5th, and dominant 7th? Or is there something I'm leaving out?
Quote by Skullivan
As the title states,I need help writing out a dominant 7th arpeggio. During my guitar lessons today, my teacher went over arpeggios and assigned me to write out on a neck diagram the A and G (major) dominant 7th arpeggios. So do I write it out as 1st, 3rd, 5th, and dominant 7th? Or is there something I'm leaving out?

Well, Lets take an example. G7 uses the root maj3rd, per5, and min7(dominant 7th) So that gives you the notes G B D and F. Now, what I think you were asking, does it have to be in this exact order. No, you can arrange them how you see fit. Id probably do it in order because its an easy pattern for me. however, others may favor different voicings.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
Well, Lets take an example. G7 uses the root maj3rd, per5, and min7(dominant 7th) So that gives you the notes G B D and F. Now, what I think you were asking, does it have to be in this exact order. No, you can arrange them how you see fit. Id probably do it in order because its an easy pattern for me. however, others may favor different voicings.

That's kinda what I'm asking, I'm saying are the 1st, 3rd, 5th and dominant 7th the notes for the arpeggio, when writing out the entire arpeggio?
yeah. write them across every octave, and don't neccesarily start at the root (go from lowest available note to highest, from the F below the treble clef to the B two octaves above it, or at least the G, depending on your guitar).
also, id write them on the staff (across the full range of the instrument).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by Skullivan
That's kinda what I'm asking, I'm saying are the 1st, 3rd, 5th and dominant 7th the notes for the arpeggio, when writing out the entire arpeggio?

I would include all of those yes, so include those notes. They are what is needed for the dom7th chord
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Skullivan

Nope, that's correct. Since its apparently your first exposure I'm guessing he'll be talking about root positions. Hint: Expect to use the same string to play both the 5 and b7. Also, there is no interval called a "Dominant 7th", it's just a b7. The chord type is a Dominant 7th. This is important because the same interval is used in Min 7th chords, and its not called a Dom 7th interval there either.

Best,

Sean
Thanks guys. Especially Sean, for some reason I feel like he's always stalking the theory threads
Quote by Sean0913
Nope, that's correct. Since its apparently your first exposure I'm guessing he'll be talking about root positions. Hint: Expect to use the same string to play both the 5 and b7. Also, there is no interval called a "Dominant 7th", it's just a b7. The chord type is a Dominant 7th. This is important because the same interval is used in Min 7th chords, and its not called a Dom 7th interval there either.

Best,

Sean

Just out of curiosity... why do you think he should expect to play the 5 and b7 intervals on the same string? There are a few different ways to do play a dominant arpeggio, and they don't all do that.