So, I am new to UG, so let me first say thanks for reading my stupid newbie post and so forth. I have been working in the industry and it is about time that get up on this awesome resource before the earth ends. and without further ado here is my dilemna;

I have recently purchased my first Gibson SG with gibson p90s in it stock. plays great, feels great, looks could kill but alas the sound leaves something lacking. the body has great resonance and sustain is great, not as good as my paul, but good nonetheless. so I have decided to gut the pups and replace them.

I play in D standard and use twelves with an unwound g string (giggity!). I have numerous tube amps but will probably be pairing this up with my blackstar 20 watt head or my late 60's ampeg reverberocket II/ tube screamer 808hw rigg.

the thing i dont like about the gibson pickups is they seem weak, not enough bite. they also are not very balanced across the strings in terms of volumes per string. the bridge pup isnt bad for open chords but that is about it. they are also noisy as hell. which i was expecting as they are single coils but jeez these are too much. and the neck pickup just isn't screaming when you crank it for solo's. i really want some searing lead tones past the 12th fret. who doesn't i guess? LOL.

my thoughts so far have been to try the new joe barden soapbars or something else hum cancelling with more mids and highs. something with some balls so to speak. but no emg's.

anything i should be considering that would work well? i know i like the bardens from my previous experience with them in my tele so any suggestions on a similar sound would be greatly appreciated. i am open minded and willing to try anything as i want this to be a player not a closet queen. good tone for recording is important as well. also the money isnt really an issue since i work in the industry and can probably get dealer cost.

thanks again for any help.

- E. Martin
"Meet the new boss same as the old boss..."
Well, if you really feel adventurous, and want that thing to scream, look into Bare Knuckle Pickups from the UK. They'll cost you a pretty penny, but I have yet to hear a complaint about them. And I've heard good things about their P90s.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Well, if you really feel adventurous, and want that thing to scream, look into Bare Knuckle Pickups from the UK. They'll cost you a pretty penny, but I have yet to hear a complaint about them. And I've heard good things about their P90s.

thanks for the advice it looks like one or two of them may work for me. no hum cancelling but some hot modern sounding options for sure. now to hear some sound clips (although every sound clip sounds good and bad if you know what i mean).
Good because its good to hear a soundclip, bad because you have no idea how they'll respond to your amp?

If you end up getting em, make sure to post some soundclips you get yourself.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

good because they are trying to sell something so you know its gonna sound good. bad because you have no idea why it sounds good (iow daw for recording? compression? eq? amp? etc). the witches brew of ingredients that go into recording a sound clip always leave me wondering if the product i get will really sound as good.
Aye, I've always had the same problem when I was looking for audio clips for products. Never have ANY idea what the thing will sound like in your hands, only a vague clue.

Good thing about BKP though, like I said, I've never heard a complaint about them. If anything will get you a good tone they will. And if the hum bothers you, you could always get em potted.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

by potted whatdya mean? i was turned off by the 60 cycle hum when there is any amount of gain or overdrive. r u referring to wax potting or giving the pups some pot? seems like the latter would make em buzz more LOL.
First, I'll say welcome to Ultimate-Guitar. Second thing I'll tell you is to use the GB&C Pickup Buying Guide for all which pickups should I buy type questions. Here's a link to it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071