I am planning on building my first guitar over the summer. I was hoping on having it with a Steinberger GU, M, GR-4R, style body, and I was wondering how much would this cost. I play Shred/Prog/Fusion/Jazz/Technical Death Metal/Thrash and I'm wondering what the best set of pick ups would be for a smooth, and flowing sound. I have been looking at a Moses Graphite Neck, which seems a bit pricy ($310) and I don't have a whole lot of cash right now. Also it looks like that neck only comes with scalloped frets which I have never tried before (will this be a problem). I know I can find a Steinberger Bridge on eBay.com pretty cheap so I'm not too worried about that. So, I guess my question is which would be cheaper, and the better choice: Build my own, or get my local music shop (the owner makes custom guitars) to make me a custom one. If you could answer my question I would be highly appreciative.
You'd be looking at a price of least a couple grand for a setup like that. I'm assuming youre going headless, and the guy wouldn't cut corners if you have him build you one.

It'd be cheaper to build your own, provided you already have all the tools to cut and route the body.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Alright, Thank you very much, yeah I am thinking headless. My grandfather was actually a carpenter so we have a lot of tools and stuff lying around.
If you have the tools, and they can give you a hand, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the build. I believe your only real roadblock is the neck yeah? If all else fails, just make your own.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Not a problem

And thanks

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

im working on my first build, and boy oh boy did i have grand plans to start with... heres the thing, and maybe its just me, but as youre building, plans will change. its good that you have an outline of what you want, i didnt...
but i would say if that setup is what youre dying to have, and have it be perfect, i would have it built. thats not to say you cant do it, especially if you have tools and experienced help. i just think that building your first build should definitely be one where youre open to some changes.
thats just my thoughts. you could absolutely built what you want! funds were my major limitation and what kept changing my build. that and a few mistakes here and there... lol
Alright thank you too. Yeah I'm figuring funds are definitely a huge problem for me, and I'm open for some changes. Alright thanks!
on the other hand though, my build has cost me a total of like $160 and its coming along quite well i think, so its definitely possible. you just gotta find the right deals! and it helps if you have some of the electronics already laying around.. haha
Haha yeah most definitely. I just have to work out some of the finer details and I should be ready to go. The main thing is just finding the right pick ups and electronics and stuff like that. I was also thinking of putting in a Piezo pick up but at the moment I'm tight on cash. Alright thanks and a have a good summer!
yep, a few piezo discs under adjustable height individual saddles works well. i havent had it all setup yet though. The saddle has to be on it, i was planning on 6 discs, one for each, but i got them a little too big so im doing 2 saddles per each of 3 discs.
the long acoustic style saddle piezos are no good for an electric. i had one i tried out in numerous ways. they have to be right there touching the saddle.
if you have a disc only under your low E saddle, and play the A string, you wont hear it, its literally gotta be touching.
i bought a 12 pack of discs on ebay for like 5 bucks. the "mint box piezo buffer" may not be necessary unless your blending mags and piezo. when i tested it i wasnt using the buffer and it sounded great. so you could really do it for probably less than 10 bucks.
the outside of the disc (brass part) is the ground, and if your bridge is grounded, you dont need to run a wire to that part even.