So someone offered a custom 7 string by one Malaysian luthier, Jeffrey Yong. This was what was in the description he gave;

"Selected mahogany body and neck (kinda heavy, close to a Les Paul), Seymour Duncan Jazz neck and Distortion bridge, Gotoh bridge and machine heads, brass nut, ebony fretboard with abalone birdie inlay.
Superb guitar made by world renowned luthier in gorgeous green-burst finish."

And a photo of course,

Anyone care to chip in?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Oh another Malaysian on UG... that's rare.

Serial number + call to Jeffrey Yong?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^ +1

fwiw that top doesn't really look like mahogany. might be a plain maple top. or might be ash or something like that.

good mahogany does have the sort of grain rings like that, but it also has the wee dashes (technical term, obviously ) too, and I don't see any of those there.

EDIT: i could be wrong, of course. I'd need to have the guitar in front of me (and even then i could still be wrong ). But based on the pic provided, it looks more like maple or ash or something like that. Also the light burst colour wouldn't really look like that over (normally darker) mahogany. EDIT #2: actually I say that but upon looking again the middle actually is quite brown. Not sure. As kitty says, email the luthier and see what he says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 7, 2011,
The color is cool!!!
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
agreed, i love those blue bursts.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks like an ash top to me...

Perhaps a lighter colored malaysan mahogany??

Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
That wood there is either ash or an unusually well figured piece of maple. It's not mahogany. But that doesn't prove much. A lot of guitars that have mahogany bodies have a layer of maple on top and ash is also a popular choice. Mahogany itself has a darker colour with not much grain figuring. Maple and ash are very lgiht-coloured woods and have nice grain patterns so most finishes look nicer when they're done on a layer of maple or ash instead of mahogany.

What you need is a picture of the back of the guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed, i love those blue bursts.

I don't think you'd see that colour in many other places.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

Carvin guitars sometimes have Blueburst finish
Misha

That clear-blue burst is called caribbean burst or ocean burst usually. Fender have done it very rarely and Warmoth offer it as a standard finish. Sometimes you'll see those names being used for a green-blue burst but really that's a kind of dragon burst. Actual 'blue bursts' are usually light blue to dark blue or just blue to black.
^ yeah it's normally called aqua or something related to the sea. i just said blue as a cover-all term.

Quote by ragingkitty

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is it just me, or do those bridge studs looks off?

i mean its har to tell without being in person, but IMO that bridge looks crappy.

in fact, i dont see anything all that great about that guitar. for example, the 5 way switch has two POS looking screws in the body. a MASTER luthier wouldnt do that, or they wouldnt be a MASTER. counter sink them, use palted or gold screws, finish it better. that looks like a freshman highschooler in woodshop class. counter sinking a screw hole takes about 5 seconds and chome flathead screws cant be more than 30-50 cents a peice. i see a total lack of effort here.

again, i cant even se the whole guitar, but hte more i look at it the more i think its junk. perhaps not that bad, but i just checked out jeffry Yongs website and it appears his craftsman ship is better than what is pictured above.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by ikey_
is it just me, or do those bridge studs looks off?

i mean its har to tell without being in person, but IMO that bridge looks crappy.

I agree! I don't like the tremolo looks...
Misha