100% sitting down
83 33%
More standing up than sitting down
29 12%
100% standing up
10 4%
Voters: 249.
Page 1 of 2
The question is in the title. Do you practice standing up or sitting down? It's just occured to me that I do all my practice sitting down...and probably should stand up and do it at least some of the time to get used to playing that way for gigs.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
I find it easier to play standing up as I can get the guitar in just the right spot hanging from the strap. But then the legs get lazy and I sit.
Both, but typically when I'm sitting it's because I'm using my wah pedal because I haven't played it enough to use it while standing and balance.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I always practise sitting down but I do play standing up quite often.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by jscott1324
the only time i really practice standing up is with im with my band

That.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I stand up every now and then just to do silly jumps and dances and such.
Otherwise its sitting down!
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Sitting down 99% of the time. Rarely I'll stand up if I feel in the mood.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I didn't answer because I do both pretty much equally.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Both.
When my picking hand gets cramped up i stand up (my guitar hangs fairly low, but nicely angled), but usually when im learning something new - sitting down
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
I sit down when i play. On a stool, heard you're not supposed to.
But ima rebel.
Quote by robquest
I sit down when i play. On a stool, heard you're not supposed to.
But ima rebel.

Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
nobody else plays 100% standing up?

I play standing up so often that I suck while sitting
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Fretboard Phil
I find it easier to play standing up as I can get the guitar in just the right spot hanging from the strap. But then the legs get lazy and I sit.

this.
I practice sitting down 99% of the time, In fact when I stand up it feel awkward because I'm not used to, I plan to practice more standing up...
I always stand when playing, but I sit when trying to figure out something new, but as soon as I know the notes I stand up. I don`t know why it just feels right.
I tend to practice sitting down, because I suck at playing while standing up.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
I was 80-90% sitting down.. now I am 100% standing

When you start playing with bands / gigging you really don't want to suck standing up lol
Quote by ToXyN
I was 80-90% sitting down.. now I am 100% standing

When you start playing with bands / gigging you really don't want to suck standing up lol

That's kind of why I only play standing up. How many bands do you see where the guitarist sits on a chair?

And I can't even play sitting down, well, not very well anyway. And I don't see any reason whatsoever to learn how to play sitting down...again, who would want to see some guy tearin it up with some brutal thrash, death, and black metal riffs whilst sitting on his ass???
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jun 7, 2011,
I'm about 60% sitting, 40% standing I think. Now I'm actually working on my technique to get better instead of thinking I'm great, I need to sit to concentrate. But if I'm playing a song, I need to stand so I can feel the metal haha \m/
I practice sitting down..but I put my guitar on my left lap instead of my right. That way I won't suck (more) standing up because the position of the guitar is pretty much the same
I don't have a strap so...
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I always practice sitting down. Why on earth would I practice standing up? That seems like it kind of takes away from the idea of maintaining good technique when you practice. What exactly are the benefits of this practicing standing up anyway? I can't really think of any.

Oh wait...... I'm a pianist. Of course I practice sitting down.

Problem, guitarists?
Attachments:
Coolface.jpg
Last edited by Faded Grey at Jun 8, 2011,
I only stand up when it is late and I am kind of tired. I have no clue why, but after midnight if I pick up the guitar I never sit back down until the guitar is out of my hands.
Mainly standing up as I can appreciate the full balance of the guitar. I only play sat down if my back is aching.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
I practice sitting down when I'm at home, and with my band every one gets off their ass except for the drummer who shows up late.

I have no trouble transitioning from standup to sit down playing, its all the same for me, but at home I just don't have enough room to stand up and stuff like that in my bedroom.
I already have enough problems when my dogs walk over my pedals and triggering all the switches on them :l

gain, who would want to see some guy tearin it up with some brutal thrash, death, and black metal riffs whilst sitting on his ass???

Well I do for once
METAL!
An hour a day singing and playing guitar standing. A half hour to an hour of sitting and practicing guitar solos.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Once I've got the notes under my hands and in time, I'll tend to stand up and get it up to full speed standing up.

With my acoustic, I always play sitting down, but with my electric, I do as I've described above.
Usually sitting if i'm learning something new, but once i'm more confident with it, I'll stand. I always stand when playing along with the recording. Really it just depends how lazy my legs are at the moment :P
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by mr_rainmaker777
I can`t stand for 5 hours a day.

I could but I'd be pissed off about it.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by krypticguitar87
I didn't answer because I do both pretty much equally.....

Same. Standing up because that's how I obviously play with my band, and sitting down to play high notes and slap my bass
Standing up playing eventually after a while causes nerve pain to shoot up my arm. Never have this problem sitting down.

It's also really hard to play all the leads I do. I end up staying bent over to the ground. I can't have it high up or else I get nerve damage. I've tried pretty much every whole numbered angle and strap height, guess it's genetics or something.
: )
I usually switch it up every once in a while but for the most part I sit down.
Quote by mr_rainmaker777
I can`t stand for 5 hours a day.

I have to stand for 7 hours a day sadly... but that is from work so I guess that doesn't count.
Page 1 of 2