alright, Im thinking about getting a Line 6 HD500 guitar processor and i was wondering a few things

1) how easy is one of these to set up because i have seen alot of demos and there are a ton of wires going every which way?

2) how much of an influence will my guitar and pickups have on the sound since all the sounds will be all presets?
3) will it sound better if i play it through my macbook pro with garage band, external speakers or should i plug it straight to my peavey vypyr 15w?

any help is appreciated

Gear:

Ibanez: S570DXQM,
Seymour Duncan Invader: Bridge
Ibanez Infinity 1: Neck
Jackson: RR3
EMG 81: Bridge
EMG 60: Neck
Peavey Vypyr 15W
DR Strings 9-42
1. Pretty easy, but might be a bit more complicated if it can handle 4 cable method. Still not rocket science.

2. Your guitar and pickups are still the source, and as such are incredibly important to the sound.

3. Depends on what you want to do with it. For recording you might as well plug it straight in, but for noodling and random playing see what you like best.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
1. Pretty easy, but might be a bit more complicated if it can handle 4 cable method. Still not rocket science.

2. Your guitar and pickups are still the source, and as such are incredibly important to the sound.

3. Depends on what you want to do with it. For recording you might as well plug it straight in, but for noodling and random playing see what you like best.

+1

Like he said, it can be as simple as 1 cable in and 1 cable out. Pickups do have an impact on the sound. Sound wise, I think it sounds better through an actual amp, but if you want to record, just plug straight in.
Quote by s3r3nitys33k3r3
I'd buy poop from him.
Quote by Mark G

I disagree... while the Pod HDs sound better tone wise than the Pods, the impact of pickups aren't gonna be drastic. When I tried the Pod HD, I still find that the amp models rob a lot of pickup nuances.

Bottomline: So long as your pickups are generally clear and articulate... it'll work fine, but don't expect to hear any difference between a DiMarzio Tone Zone and a SD Super Distortion.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
-----long reply-----

The pickup thing goes both ways in my opinion. Two crappy or two good pickups are going to sound roughly the same. You may hear a clightly different mid focus or more highs, but nothing drastic. On the other hand, my ibanez has a dimarzio d sonic in the bridge while my esp has a passive emg in the bridge. The sound way different, even through my pod. The dimarzio is clearer and has more gain while the emg is slightly muffled, and i need to push the gain up on the amp models to get identical gain.

now, i don't have a pod hd. i have a podxtlive. But I think that you would probably see slightly more differences through the hd because the models sound more natural.

-----here is where i answer the other questions-----

For cables, you can do it a few ways. You can plug your guitar into the pod and then go out of the pod into a poweramp of some sort, or just go into the front of your amp. or even into the effects loop return of your amp. not sure if the vypyr has an effects loop though. using an effects loop return or poweramp will get you the best tone if you are using the amp models, but plugging into the front of your amp can work.

You can also use some small speakers like computer speakers. i did that when i lived in a dorm at college.

the "4 cable method" involves placing the pod in front of an amp AND in the effects loop and lets you put effects in both places. But again, i don't think the vypyr 15 has one, so if it does i'll explain that one further
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ragingkitty
I disagree... while the Pod HDs sound better tone wise than the Pods, the impact of pickups aren't gonna be drastic. When I tried the Pod HD, I still find that the amp models rob a lot of pickup nuances.

Bottomline: So long as your pickups are generally clear and articulate... it'll work fine, but don't expect to hear any difference between a DiMarzio Tone Zone and a SD Super Distortion.

You WILL hear the difference between a Tone Zone and a SD Super Distortion. The Pod HDs will rob you of some dynamics, but nowhere near as drastic that you won't hear the difference between pickups, new and old strings, or any such changes.

If you already have decent pickups, there's no point in swapping them when using a Pod HD as the difference will be marginal. But to say you won't hear a difference if you do is simply not true.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
You WILL hear the difference between a Tone Zone and a SD Super Distortion. The Pod HDs will rob you of some dynamics, but nowhere near as drastic that you won't hear the difference between pickups, new and old strings, or any such changes.

But to say you won't hear a difference if you do is simply not true.

But the point is... I DID NOT when I tried it in store for 2 hours. You can go on and on insisting that others will, but the fact remains that when i tested teh Pod HDs in store, I DID NOT. The difference in tone was nothing comparable to plugging it into a tube amp. I could tell that there was some difference, but not enough to differentiate the 2 pups in a blind test.

There were some difference... but it was subtle... not drastic... and definitely not worth the money to change it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
But the point is... I DID NOT when I tried it in store for 2 hours.

There were some difference... but it was subtle... not drastic... and definitely not worth the money to change it.

Alrighty. Lets just say we agree a pickup swap when you already have decent pickups isn't worth it and call it a day
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Alrighty. Lets just say we agree a pickup swap when you already have decent pickups isn't worth it and call it a day

Now that part, I strongly agree to.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )