I bought a Boss Chorus pedal a few months back to add a little shimmer to my cleans (6505 +), and noticed almost immediately that it changed my tone even when it was turned off - namely, it seemed to boost my highs and take away some of the low end especially when chugging.

I didn't really think much of it, but I'm working out of town this week and staying with my parents, and I brought just my guitar and amp to have something to do at night. I didn't bring my chorus pedal, and noticed immediately that my whole sound got a lot better!

So now I'm thinking of ditching the chorus pedal altogether, as I think I just want a reverb pedal or something anyway. But my question is, which pedals are TRUE bypass? I've always liked my Boss pedals in the past, but I can't have any tone suck when the damn thing is turned off!

I liked the Boss Digital Reverb I tried, but that wasn't on my rig so I couldn't tell if it changed the tone...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Boss don't do true bypass.

Digitech Hardwire series are true bypass and you can get Boss pedals modded to do the same. A lot, although not all of Electro Harmonix are too (check their brochures or web site for details) and quite a few MXR pedals tend to be.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Did you try it without the chorus pedal with your mian setup? Could be an enviorenmental issue...

I bought a boss EQ one time and thought it sucked ass off the bat. Why not multi FX yo?! lol.
Now this makes me concerned. I was thinking of getting a noise suppressor and equalizer pedal from Boss. Do they suck a tone only when you have them bypassed or would it be safe to get these since I'll be using them all the time anyway to quiet my hum and perfect my tone?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Boss NS-2 sucks some tone when off, and even more when on. Boss EQ added a lot of noise for me.

Not a boss fan here...I'd go for an ISP decimator and an MXR EQ.

If you do want boss stuff its pretty simple to make them true bypass, or to make an A/B box to bypass them that way.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Boss NS-2 sucks some tone when off, and even more when on. Boss EQ added a lot of noise for me.

Not a boss fan here...I'd go for an ISP decimator and an MXR EQ.

If you do want boss stuff its pretty simple to make them true bypass, or to make an A/B box to bypass them that way.

The EQ added noise even WITH the Noise Suppressor? o.o
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by darkwolf291
Only if you set the threshold really high

Not in my experience. To be fair, the tone suckage is only truly a problem at bedroom levels.

Also, some amplifiers seem to be more prone to tone suckage from boss (and other) pedals than others. My old B-52 for example was terrible with pedals in the loop, whereas my ENGL Blackmore had no problems.

Quote by xlRainlx
The EQ added noise even WITH the Noise Suppressor? o.o

I judged these pedals individually. I got the NS-2 before I owned an EQ, and found it to suck tone both on and off so I sold it after a few weeks. I later tried the Boss GE-7 in a store, and it just added unwanted noise. When I tried the MXR, it was perfect.

Never tried them together
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jun 7, 2011,
A friend of mine used to have a Boss EQ and has recently swapped for an MXR. I have to admit I haven't tried his rig but I would assume that he has had tonal issues.

My old Boss Chorus is fine. Although I bought it used in 1995/6. I think it's Japanese...
Quote by Silent_Scream1
Why not multi FX yo?! lol.

+1!

Just bought me the ME-25. Couldn't be happier. I bought it more for recording stuff as I don't have a mic, but I decided to use it at gigs. Does wonders, IMO.

Then again, a multi FX doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.
I use a boss bass eq from 1987, and the other day i was trying it with the eq levels flat to try to listen for tone sucking. Honestly, there may be some difference but it's VERY slight. I tried playing a chord / chords ringing them out and engaging it on and off, and it's very hard to tell. Maybe the newer eq pedals are worse but with this one , any tone suckage is almost impossible to tell. Really, you'd notice far more difference just standing in a different part of the room or playing slightly higher or lower on the strings or something. It's almost impossible to hear any difference and i'm not even 100% sure there is a change that's audiable.
I think that's the inference - newer Boss pedals aren't great whereas the older models (especially the Japanese built ones) are better.

I'm going to try this theory out by A/B'ing a couple of the newer pedals against the older ones I have and see if there really is a discernable difference.
Quote by Slap-happy
I think that's the inference - newer Boss pedals aren't great whereas the older models (especially the Japanese built ones) are better.

I'm going to try this theory out by A/B'ing a couple of the newer pedals against the older ones I have and see if there really is a discernable difference.

One thing to keep in mind is our ears are easily tricked if we think there 'should' be a change happening. Like, i can't say for sure if my pedal really does change anything since i know sometimes when we're listening out for things our ears can hear that happening.

If you've ever been mixing a track an example would be using something like a compressor on something and turning the threshold for instance and listening and tweaking it thinking 'yeah , yep, this sounds good , ' then realising that the thing has been on bypass the entire time >_>
Quote by Zoot Allures
If you've ever been mixing a track an example would be using something like a compressor on something and turning the threshold for instance and listening and tweaking it thinking 'yeah , yep, this sounds good , ' then realising that the thing has been on bypass the entire time >_>

Might've done that.... more than once.

But I try to leave mixing until a day after recording for that kind of reason.

I will take my old DS-1 and check it out. With an independant witness.
Luckily the guy in the shop is pretty tolerant of my whims.
Quote by Duv
My DD-7's alright. I did used to have a CE-5 and a DS-2 though and they did do things to tone. I wouldn't say they sucked tone but they did manipulate it.

Same story here - my DD3 seems to have no effect on tone when bypassed - but I had a Ds1 that kind of cut out the sparkle in the cleans when not in use
Quote by greeny23

I'll let you know what I plan to do - I might actually sell it and get a reverb pedal.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Zoot Allures
One thing to keep in mind is our ears are easily tricked if we think there 'should' be a change happening. Like, i can't say for sure if my pedal really does change anything since i know sometimes when we're listening out for things our ears can hear that happening.

I can see where that could happen, but I noticed this before I'd even heard about bypassed effects pedals still affecting the tone. I can play with the pedals in the effects loop, then unplug the effects loop and hear a very noticeable difference.

It's not that the tone is terrible by any means, but I have to dial back the treble and max out the bass to get even close to my tone without the pedal.

My rig just has an overall "meatier" sound to it without this pedal.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I can see where that could happen, but I noticed this before I'd even heard about bypassed effects pedals still affecting the tone. I can play with the pedals in the effects loop, then unplug the effects loop and hear a very noticeable difference.

It's not that the tone is terrible by any means, but I have to dial back the treble and max out the bass to get even close to my tone without the pedal.

My rig just has an overall "meatier" sound to it without this pedal.

To be fair, i used to use a boss dd6 for a while and i never noticed anything like that with that pedal. I can only comment on my bass eq from the 80s anyway cus that's all i have of boss now, and like i say , that one really does not seem to do much at all when engaged.

I would buy a dd6 though, i was only borrowing it before and i really liked that delay.