Yo people of UG.

I am a guitar/ bass player and my friends and i wanna start a band but are struggling with a style and practice space. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? There are 4 of us and our favourite styles are punk-rock-indie-death metal. Any ideas?

We are still at school so that may impact.
For style, have everyone write a few riffs, develop them into songs, and see which ones best fit you guys. This is how we did it in most of my bands. Everyone who could play guitar (sometimes this was everyone) would come in with some riffs, and each practice we would take some, see what the bassist and drummer could do with them, and see if what came out of the singer's mind matched them well enough. When you're done, you can either see which ones you guys like best or make an album with all the songs and see which ones get the best reception. As for practice space, we always use the drummer's house so we don't have to pay for one of those studios.

One more thing related to genre, I would advise you not become another one of those mediocre metalcore bands. There are enough of those already.

nah metallica is out of the question. the only other thing is that our drumkit is also the school drumkit. the rest of us have our own amps/ gear. should we practice at school?
practice there if you can...

your genre and style will sort themselves out as you guys play together.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
punk, rock and indie should have plenty of common ground to fall on. the death metal guy will probably have to change his style up quite a bit to fit in with the rest of you.
no sir away a papaya war is on
As the drumkit is the schools drumkit I'll assume that the drummer doesn't own their own drumkit. This would mean that you HAVE to practice at school.

As for the genre, if you're a cover band each of you can pick a song to cover and you'll cover it, no arguing. If it's originals just write songs and everyone can bring their own influences to their parts. The genre will figure itself out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
As for the genre, if you're a cover band each of you can pick a song to cover and you'll cover it, no arguing. If it's originals just write songs and everyone can bring their own influences to their parts. The genre will figure itself out.

this is pretty much is
another way to find your genre is what my band did:
improvise
as you improvise on, you'll probably all go into some sort of genre. if it doesn't work, just do the above.
1) Even if you are an "originals" band, try to start with a cover just to get in a good groove with your other bandmates. Don't do more than one or two covers--it'll start to affect your creativity.

2)Like AlanHB said, genre will work itself out later.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi