my cleans are terrible with my current amp. im looking for some nice crystal highs.. lots of post rock and ambient stuff. looking for either a head or combo (but combo is preffered), I have access to a cabinet.

would like a 3 band eq but thats honestly not necessary. I plan on gigging this thing but will have access to a Pa and an sm57 so im more interested something for bedroom levels.

my budget is like 400 usd tops. and used really isn't an option where I am at. I could maybe ebay it, but I would rather not.

im in oregon.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Jun 7, 2011,
I kinda am pushing my budget. I have a lot of other things that I should be getting instead of this amp (car, food, boring adult stuff) so yeah.
Honestly, I would say look at the peavey vypyr. it isn't tube, but for 400 you could get either the 100 watt or 75 one and have plenty of room for gigging. Plus, they sound great. Probably the best modelling amp I have played except for maybe a flextone.
If you really really need it to be tube, the bugera v22 and fender pro junior are within your budget. I think they will sound good enough, not sure if they will have enough headroom though
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ill try them out as they have one at my local shop (that I work at) but I would really prefer tube over a modeling amp.
Blackstar HT-5.
Sounds nice when you run it through the right gear. It's got a very warm clean tone, I'm not sure if it's what you're after though. It also packs quite a lot of gain, so if you want an alright high gain tone, you can pair it up with an tubescreamer and get something decent.

Comes in both a combo and a head version, and I believe now they sell a combo version with reverb added for a little extra.
My vote would be for a peavey Classic 30. Great cleans and good vintage overdrive. Kill two birds with one stone. THAT, or if it doesnt have to be tube the Roland Jazz chorus is always a good standard clean amp.
^^^both those amps cost more than 400 and he doesn't want to buy used
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Under $400, for cleans, new:
- Bugera V22
- Jet City JCA2112RC (it's rather used for dirty tones, but worth a shot)
- Marshall Class 5 (not much headroom)
- Fender Pro Junior/Blues Junior
- maybe Fender Mustang
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
The Fender Mustang is worth a look, some of the cleans are lovely for the cost of the thing, and in my opinion the cleans are way better than an HT-5.
Did people seriously just recommend the HT-5 and Vypyr for cleans? Seriously?

Get out.

But seriously go with the Bugera v22 or a used Blues Jr.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by fly135
I see Pro Jr's for under $200. It's pretty darn clean at home practice levels.

yea, i agree. i got one used for $180.

i sold it when i found a blackface champ for $325. i like the champ a lot more.

the thought of an ht5 (had one) to this champ.

that's just funny.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Where are you located? If its in the US then you should have no problem finding a used Blues Jr. under that. I see them pop up around me all the time for $250-300 used.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by gregs1020
yea, i agree. i got one used for $180.

i sold it when i found a blackface champ for $325. i like the champ a lot more.

the thought of an ht5 (had one) to this champ.

that's just funny.

At bedroom levels it's hard to beat a Champ, especially if you plug them into a decent speaker cab. Score or build a tweed or blackface Champ (or clone thereof) and you get sublime Fender cleans. Personally I prefer a tweed circuit like the 5E1 or 5F1 (I particularly like the 5F1 because it breaks up better when dimed), Champs don't need tone controls. At a gig you are totally relying on the PA for both FOH and foldback but if that isn't a concern then a Champ would be an excellent choice.
Vyper or HT-5? Really guys? just
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you dont think a vypyr has good cleans? well i guess everyone has their opinion. i thought it had perfectly acceptable cleans. and it fits in his budget new.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
you dont think a vypyr has good cleans? well i guess everyone has their opinion. i thought it had perfectly acceptable cleans. and it fits in his budget new.

It aint no 5E1/5F1 by any stretch of the imagination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
true, but it definitely hold its own. he also said he wanted to gig with it. i was under the impression those little fenders break up pretty fast.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
It's not that we don't think it has "good cleans."

The cleans definitely aren't bad. The question is why would you recommend the Vypyr in that price range when there are literally hundreds of MUCH better choices for cleans in the same price range, many of which are tube?

As the for HT-5 guy...just
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Also c'mon...don't argue with Cath about amps. I mean seriously. Just don't argue with Cath about amps.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by InanezGuitars44
true, but it definitely hold its own. he also said he wanted to gig with it. i was under the impression those little fenders break up pretty fast.

They do if you crank them but if you keep the volume down to around 5 or 6 then they deliver real Fender clean tones. If you are relying on the PA then that isn't an issue, he wouldn't be the first person to gig with one in that way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They do if you crank them but if you keep the volume down to around 5 or 6 then they deliver real Fender clean tones. If you are relying on the PA then that isn't an issue, he wouldn't be the first person to gig with one in that way.

agreed.

from 4/10 to 6/10, it's plenty loud enough to mic and get a nice clean. very nice in fact.

the vypyr is a good practice amp and provide a lot for $99 or $199. but for just cleans at bedroom, even a new champ 600 sounds great. (again, champs love to go to extension cabs. looooove extension cabs.)
i wasn't arguing with cathbard. just offering my view

but i will admit defeat and tell TS you should listen to these guys. haha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
thanks for all the reviews. IM leaning towards the fender champ as of right now. (I might add a speaker out to it) but I also noticed in my local pawnshop that they have an old 60's univox for $200 I don't have any pics of it, but it was blue with a tweed front and had volume tone and trem controls. I might get that but i need to take a guitar out there to test it.
Just be aware that the output on a Champ is 4 ohm. You will have a hard time finding a good 4 ohm 12" speaker so people do one of two things:
1. Use a 2x12" with two 8 ohm drivers in parallel or a 4x12" with four 16ohm drivers in parallel.
2. Install a multitapped output transformer. They only cost about $20 (plus labour if you can't do it yourself.)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can get away with it but it's better to do one of the things I said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
budget, ya know. maybe i will one day, but as of right now its not in the cards.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i wasn't arguing with cathbard. just offering my view

but i will admit defeat and tell TS you should listen to these guys. haha

no it's usually a good rec, but there are just better options that do just "clean" better. most "bedroom" amp threads where the TS wants a ton of effects, it's a great amp.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 7, 2011,
Bugera V22 combo they sound real nice and are fairly inexpensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate