Quote by ragingkitty
If you need help post a "What amp" thread on GG&A. You'll get a stack of recommendations.

And my situation in a nutshell: I play my acoustic guitar consistently (hours daily) and I want to get into some Opeth, Blues, Rock, and Metal (among other genres to be well rounded) on an electric guitar. I have a Spider III and an Ibanez RG but I'm looking to buy a much tastier setup. I really like the Paul Reed Smith's Custom 24's feel and sound but I need a better amp if I'm going to get one because the spider III would not do it justice.

Amp location: home, must to be loud enough to keep up with acoustic drums and or a 75 Watt Bass amp. Should be able to sound good while quiet and loud.

Budget: a good point of diminishing returns for an an a amp that sounds good and can take effects from: Dunlop Crybaby, DigiTech Tone Driver pedal, MD-2 Mega Distortion pedal , Boss CS 3 Compressor, and a Boss Distortion pedal all on a SKB pedal board (All pedals I just found a good deal on Craigslist for $175!)

Probably neighborhood of $600 for the amp. Used gear is fine, I just want something that sounds tasty and can play what music I have in my head.

Location: a medium sized city in the United States called Peoria

Advice?
Last edited by Aegaris at Jun 7, 2011,
Budget, you forgot your budget.

New or used ok?

Home or gigging?

Location?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Budget, you forgot your budget.

New or used ok?

Home or gigging?

Location?

Edited in OP, thanks ; )
Location... as in your city or nearest city (not home) so you can get some help with the CL searches.

Also you down for used gear or must it be new?

Personally I'm thinking of a used XXX combo.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Location... as in your city or nearest city (not home) so you can get some help with the CL searches.

Also you down for used gear or must it be new?

Personally I'm thinking of a used XXX combo.

Such a helpful cat! Edited OP again.
I thought you had a list of genres you were looking at? That is needed.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Slash25
http://www.fivestarmusic.com.au/epages/fivestarmusic.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/fivestarmusic/Products/QUAD-EL84

ur in the US i think so if u can find one of these used theyll be a decent price

they have awesome tones for the styles u said

What sets them apart from this amp for example?fficial&client=firefox-a#q=Laney+VC30&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6cac2ec68a1bcdb7&biw=1120&bih=477">Laney VC30 Besides the fact that this one is made in Britain.

I know little of amps.
Last edited by Aegaris at Jun 7, 2011,
6505, then you can throw all your distortion pedals in the bin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also, do you want to use the amps distortion or do you want to use a distortion pedal for your main distortion? If your planing on using pedals or your not sure that you defiently want to use the amps distortion I would make sure you go tube and ensure it has a good clean channel, you should be able to get something pretty meaty with that combination.

Good call on the 24, that is a very versatlie quitar and will cover all the genre's your into very well indeed. Can't go wrong with a PRS IMO.
Quote by ragingben
Also, do you want to use the amps distortion or do you want to use a distortion pedal for your main distortion? If your planing on using pedals or your not sure that you defiently want to use the amps distortion I would make sure you go tube and ensure it has a good clean channel, you should be able to get something pretty meaty with that combination.

What are the pros and cons for using a pedal over the amp distortion? Sound and cost wise.
A lot of people prefer tube overdrive distortion from an amp because it just sounds better in their opinion. You will quite often need a overdrive pedal to get a killer metal tone out of a tube amp unless the amp is built specifically for metal, and even them some people still use one. The benefits of a good distortion pedal through a tube amp is that you can change the voicing of your distortion without changing your whole amp. Also a distortion pedal through a clean tube amp can give you better results at a bedroom friendly volume, where as a lot of tube amps distortion only sounds great when cranked. I use a EHX Metal Muff through my clean channel at home, but when I play at rehersals I sometimes use the OD channel on my amp with a Bad Monkey in front of it, because it gets a lot more balsy when cranked. Also if you get distortion pedal with a good EQ section you may be able to control the EQ better - i.e scoop the mids (if that's what you like ) than if you were just running through your amp alone. It's all very subjective, and dependent on the entire setup.

Ideally you would want an amp with a gain channel that provides a distortion to your tastes, and a nice clean channel, but in all honesty I have never played an amp that gives me the whole range of tones I'm after. Everyone will scream "Tubescreamer" at you, but it is simply not possble with most amps to get every type of distortion that you want. Sometimes I wan't ACDC, sometimes I wan't scoped mids, sometimes I want Metallica and sometimes I want an all out death core rage, and in that case I need a variety of pedals and I don't know of one amp alone that can do this.

One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of people will say don't use a distortion pedal though a tube amp, but you should really try as much gear as possible and decide for yourself.
Last edited by ragingben at Jun 7, 2011,
well do what i did... go for a mesa boogie express 5/25 or 5/50...
You can choose the wattage between 5 and 25 or 50 (depending on which size you get...
if you get a head just look for a decent cab but if you going combo make sure you get a 1x12 speaker
both amps are tube and are super loud... 5 watt sounds gr8 for bedroom jamming, flick the switch and you're LOUD!!
it also has two channels with four modes.... the first one is between clean and crunch, the second channel is between blues and burn... at also has reverb and a contour....
here is a link, check some videos on youtube for tone

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm
There you go TS... there'll probably be more suggestions as more log on.

I think the Mesa would be awesome... but it might blow your budget unless its used.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i think you need to prioritize your needs some. as one of the other guys pointed out it's very difficult to find an amp that will do it all (and probably impossible in your price range). you might want to look at a Peavey Valveking. now i know there will be haters bashing this but it is a fairly versatile amp. as many will point out it's not really good for some of the more extreme metal styles but does well for rock and hard rock as well as blues. slap an overdrive in front and you can get some of the modern metal sounds. while it might not get you the best possible Opeth tone it will work for the other stuff no problem.
Quote by Aegaris
I play my acoustic guitar consistently (hours daily)

You poor bastard.

If I had to listen to acoustic guitar for more than a minute or two I'd probably kill somebody.

That is, if I didn't fall asleep first.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ragingben
Bearing in mind the OP plays blues aswell? Not sure how well the 6505 handles blues, just a thought

My 5150 is freaking AWESOME for blues. JS.

TS: I'm thinking a Peavey Vypyr 60. Extremely versatile, more importantly sounds very good at low volumes.

If you don't want a modeler, then I'll also suggest a Peavey XXX. A JSX would probably be better for what you want, but I doubt you could get a JSX, as well as a cab in your budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X