Hey guys!
I have a Fender Vintage Hot Rod '62 Stratocaster, which has .. you guessed .. a nitrocellulose lacquer finish.
Now i've been taking good care of "her" but it's a 2002 model. after 9 years i think i should clean it and maybe polish it, coz the finish is starting to fade, and it isn't as shiny as before.
But the real problem is that i don't live in the US, and there are no products such as "virtuoso" anywhere near me ( im talking about countries not only miles :p). and shipping would take like forever ...
can you guys help me find an alternative, or maybe another product i didn't know of, or something i can do without messing with finish.
Thanks !!!!!
Dunlop makes polishes and cleaners as well. Not sure how well they would compare to the others listed here.
Dunlop's aren't made for nitro finishes.

Stick with the Gibson stuff, it's the best product around for nitro finishes. Although be aware that nitro finishes always fade and crack, that's just the nature of the beast. You might find that your guitar looks no different after polishing.
Quote by grohl1987
Dunlop's aren't made for nitro finishes.

Stick with the Gibson stuff, it's the best product around for nitro finishes. Although be aware that nitro finishes always fade and crack, that's just the nature of the beast. You might find that your guitar looks no different after polishing.

According to their website, Dunlop guitar polish and cleaner is ok for all guitar finishes, including nitro finishes. Check the link below, then click the "Faq" button. I'm not trying to argue this is better than any other brand, only that it is an option if someone wants to try it.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/formula-no-65-guitar-polish--cleaner
Last edited by agroban at Jun 8, 2011,
Clean it with a cleaning product like Gibson pump polish then use a carnuba wax to protect. I use Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba. Apply it with your fingers and then buff it off with a cotten tshirt. If you need help check youtube. There are a few good vids on this. Super easy to do and looks great.
Quote by agroban
According to their website, Dunlop guitar polish and cleaner is ok for all guitar finishes, including nitro finishes. Check the link below, then click the "Faq" button. I'm not trying to argue this is better than any other brand, only that it is an option if someone wants to try it.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/formula-no-65-guitar-polish--cleaner
Pay close attention to their wording:

Q: Is the Formula 65 okay to use on a nitro finish?
A: Yes, Formula 65 polish is ok to use on a nitro finish. I would not use it if there are cracks, weather checking, or dings in the finish. I would not use it on an old and thin finish either. Rubbing on a thin and old nitro finish with any liquid polish and a cloth can take off color.
And OP's guitar is an older, thinned out nitro finish, hence why it's fading.
Quote by grohl1987
Pay close attention to their wording:

And OP's guitar is an older, thinned out nitro finish, hence why it's fading.

Yea I thought that was interesting. Are the other polishes mentioned in this thread ok to use on older, thinner finishes?
Last edited by agroban at Jun 8, 2011,
Gibson say their pump polish is fine for nitro of any age but for older nitro finishes you shouldn't rub it in or use much. For any nitro finish older than about 20 years or any nitro finish that is visibly cracked you shouldn't use anything at all, even the products that claim they're safe won't be as any friction from polishing can make the finish flake off. Nitro finishes are not for looking sparkling clean.
Quote by grohl1987
Gibson say their pump polish is fine for nitro of any age but for older nitro finishes you shouldn't rub it in or use much. For any nitro finish older than about 20 years or any nitro finish that is visibly cracked you shouldn't use anything at all, even the products that claim they're safe won't be as any friction from polishing can make the finish flake off. Nitro finishes are not for looking sparkling clean.

thank you sooo much !! that was really helpful