Zildjian cymbals ftw.
How often should you change your skins?
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
You don't have to change them at all, but usually you should change your reso heads about every 5 times you replace the batter head.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by seeneyj
Zildjian cymbals ftw.
How often should you change your skins?
It depends, but I'd consider getting new ones if the head is cratered (if it's dented, basically) and/or will not hold its tuning any longer.
Quote by Steve08
It depends, but I'd consider getting new ones if the head is cratered (if it's dented, basically) and/or will not hold its tuning any longer.

Pretty much. When you need new skins, you'll probably know about it.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
NO. Sabians FTW.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by Steve08
Meinl > Paiste = Zildjian > Sabian

IMO

Wait, you mean Meinl are better than Zildjian and Sabian? Well, I've never tried them so I wouldn't know.

OT: I don't really change my heads until they start marking up or if they start to detune (which is rare). Having said that, I replaced the tension rods with gibraltar made ones and switched to plastic washers
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
Wait, you mean Meinl are better than Zildjian and Sabian? Well, I've never tried them so I wouldn't know.
In my opinion, yeah, but that's just me. Would really recommend checking out some Byzance traditional/dark cymbals, as well as the M or Soundcaster Fusion series if possible. They're outstanding.

Something just really rubs me the wrong about Sabian... not sure why, they make lots of good stuff... I dunno.
Quote by MangoStarr
I change my skins when they break...

I am almost speechless about this comment.

In 20+ years of playing I have never broken a drumhead. Waiting until they break means you are hitting them hard enough to intentionally break them, your heads are REALLY old, or you are sharpening your sticks. Either way I feel sorry for your poor heads.

There is no patent answer for when to change the heads on a drumset. It depends mostly on the type of heads you are using. Coated two ply will last longer than clear two play, which last longer than coated single ply which last longer than clear single play. Some are 7mil and some are 10mil, so you have to know what you are playing.

When you put on a new head and tune it correctly you will hear a brightness to it. Over time that brightness will fade. Once it dulls to the point where it is no longer pleasing to your ears, replace the head. Some people love new heads, others (like myself) prefer them after they have been played for a bit. Its all a matter of personal preference.
^
+1

If you're playing regularly you should be changing heads fairly often. When I was touring and playing every day I'd go a month at most without changing them. The snare was once every week or two. If I'm going a while with the same batter head on the snare I'll at least change the reso head. They're so thin that constant bashing can get them stretched out pretty quick. The kick drum I would usually let go a little longer.
Yeah, the only time I've heard/seen of any drumhead breaking is when a friend of mine had a kit in someone's basement, and tons of people would come through and play on it, and it was even used for a few house shows, and eventually the batter head on the bass drum snapped. Granted it was the stock head on a Pearl Forum, I would be shocked if it was any brand name head, unless you didn't change it for like... years.

If you have the money (they definitely aren't cheap) then there's no reason not to replace them regularly.
Quote by Steve08
ISomething just really rubs me the wrong about Sabian... not sure why, they make lots of good stuff... I dunno.

Is it because you expect them to be more different from Zildjian? Because Sabian was started by a guy from the Zildjian family using their same techniques for making cymbals.

Shamelss plug, but Diril ftw.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores