Page 1 of 2
so my 16 year old little sister has wanted to play bass for a few years now

but our parents wont buy it for her ( i buy all my own gear too they are cheap)

i have $800 spare that i can spend on a bass/amp/strings
is a 5 string easy to learn on?
we both like allot of metal
suggest me some good gear please

P.S. i have no issue with starter packs
(thats how i started)
Last edited by fenderfreak100 at Jun 7, 2011,
squier Pbass or J bass starters? Comes with a rumble 15 amp and a lead. I think its only 250$
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Quote by joshmckinnon
squier Pbass or J bass starters? Comes with a rumble 15 amp and a lead. I think its only 250$

something a little more expensive?
or list some mods i can do to make it suitable for metal?

cause my sister wants to eventually join my band
Depends how comitted you think she'll be.

If not, starter pack. If you're confident she will be, then something like an Ibby gsr200 or a Squier VM J or P with an acoustic B20 or go really silly and get a B100

As for a 5, it's perfectly fine to learn on. Guitarists learn with 6 all the time
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Depends how comitted you think she'll be.

If not, starter pack. If you're confident she will be, then something like an Ibby gsr200 or a Squier VM J or P with an acoustic B20 or go really silly and get a B100

As for a 5, it's perfectly fine to learn on. Guitarists learn with 6 all the time

she is going to pull through it

i want something expensive cause i feel bad
(as i have 4 guitars)
Wow, great brother you are.

Anyhow, maybe a squier vm jazz bass or some kind of ibanez. An atk would be good and can be found quite cheaply on the second hand market.

as for an amp as above an acoustic b100 would be nice. Although on the second hand market you could pick up an AShdown mag 300 and a cab( i wouldnt go with the ashdown 1x15's, they sound very woolly). Or an old trace elliot rig.

I presume your in america right.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Wow, great brother you are.

Anyhow, maybe a squier vm jazz bass or some kind of ibanez. An atk would be good and can be found quite cheaply on the second hand market.

as for an amp as above an acoustic b100 would be nice. Although on the second hand market you could pick up an AShdown mag 300 and a cab( i wouldnt go with the ashdown 1x15's, they sound very woolly). Or an old trace elliot rig.

I presume your in america right.

yes sir
okay
anything that is like SG style/5 string/ active pup?
SG bass's arent that great.

So set on 5 string.

I would defiantly look for a 5 string second hand Ibanez ATK. Not Sg shaped but a great bass.
Do you think she would prefer something with a thinner string spacing?
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
SG bass's arent that great.

So set on 5 string.

I would defiantly look for a 5 string second hand Ibanez ATK. Not Sg shaped but a great bass.
Do you think she would prefer something with a thinner string spacing?

i have no idea what that means
Cort make some good affordable basses. Also Ibanez.

She'd be able to learn on a 5 string, but she'd be limitted in the long run, not being adept to play on a regular 4-string. But if she really wants to play metal then go for it.

This thunderbird looks so good: http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_thunderbird_pro_v_na_b_stock.htm

This Yamaha has active pickups:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_rbx_375_dog.htm
i like the idea of an ibanez bass though

i just traded my fender ESS-100 at GC and bought an Ibanez RG7321 (7 string)
ibby is pretty good at guitars
Yep, also i forgot about yamaha's. As you can see i have a yammy trb 6 string. If your could find a second hand trb Mk I or II 5 string youd have a bass for life. Although the rbx's are also good but not as good.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Icarus Lives
She'd be able to learn on a 5 string, but she'd be limitted in the long run, not being adept to play on a regular 4-string.
Er...what?
lok at ibanez. if you have $800 budget you should be able to get an sr405 for that and have a pretty good chunk of change left over for an amp.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
lok at ibanez. if you have $800 budget you should be able to get an sr405 for that and have a pretty good chunk of change left over for an amp.

yeah
i like very much!
that ought to work well
any amp suggestions?
Quote by fenderfreak100
yeah
i like very much!
that ought to work well
any amp suggestions?

I have very limited amp experience but acoustics are wonderful. very transparent amps. cheap and loud.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That made my head hurt too.

+2

made ne sense
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by fenderfreak100
yes sir
okay
anything that is like SG style/5 string/ active pup?

Since you're stateside, I'd look for used peavey and carvin combos as well. They are super common, built like tanks, and on the cheap.

If she's going to start on a 5, you might have her first try an ibanez SR series alongside an ATK (though MF is clearing out 5 string ATK305s for $400 right now). The SR series have much faster necks and narrower string spacing, which might be less frustrating for a beginner on a 5.

Agreed with most on here that I'd personally rather have an ATK--and if you're sure she'll stick to it through frustration, it might be the preferable bass.
Acoustic or Peavey for the amps, definitely. Can get some that are small gig worthy for relatively cheap.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
What about one of the LTD Viper basses? Decent price, active humbuckers, not a bad track record, would be much better than the epiphone crap and heaps better for metal.

5's are great, but they do limit your price range, the quality of a bass you'll get for a 4 string in that range will be much better than a 5 for a similar price. But from a learning perspective, pretty good, I learned on a 5.

Ampwise, I'd go something second hand, aim for about 80-150 watts if she's going to be playing in a band, it's small enough to be good price wise, but large enough that it'll be useable for most BotB type gigs. Won;t need an upgrade for a while.
Youre a great brother. Id suggest the Acoustic brand 4x10 cabinet with 200 watt head. thatll cost you around 550 leaving you 250 for a squier vm jazz bass. Great metal set IMO
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
how is this combo?

bass ( i like the ltd brand name allot)
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper414-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=620054

amp lets stick ith a low wattage for her first amp
till she can learn to control her tone

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-15-V2-15W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=584199

also a livewire 1/4 cord

ummmmmm
i use DR Tite Fit strings on my electric guitars
does DR make good bass strings?
Last edited by fenderfreak100 at Jun 8, 2011,
So we pretty much give you a whole bunch of idea's and advice and you dont follow it or use it to influence what you might look at.

Is that bass one you picked out or your sister. I havent played it but i cant imagine it being that good. Just because it looks metal does not mean its going to be any better then a squier jazz or precision.

As for the amp i would still get something bigger with a 12" speaker and 50+ watts. Look out for some hartke kickbacks or similiar.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Why spend lots of money on the bass and not the amp? I think overall the amp is more important. Also, it's not a bad choice for a bass, but for metal, Ibanez overall is probably the best.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
Why spend lots of money on the bass and not the amp? I think overall the amp is more important. Also, it's not a bad choice for a bass, but for metal, Ibanez overall is probably the best.

yeah
with ibby i can get her a 5 string
I agree you should definitely spend more on the amp. A cheap little fender like that will only keep her happy with it for about 3 months before she wants to go buy something else.

My suggestion is this. 250 watts will keep her going for a long time and plus it's small so it'll be easy for her to move around

and for a bass, you seemed pretty adamant about a 5 string, but to my knowledge there are no production 5 string SG basses. So why sacrifice your wants as far as playability for style?

Which is why I suggest this as a bass option. It's no SG, but it will meet your needs quite well and that combo would leave you enough to buy her cables and a tuner
Quote by thunderbritches
I agree you should definitely spend more on the amp. A cheap little fender like that will only keep her happy with it for about 3 months before she wants to go buy something else.

My suggestion is this. 250 watts will keep her going for a long time and plus it's small so it'll be easy for her to move around

and for a bass, you seemed pretty adamant about a 5 string, but to my knowledge there are no production 5 string SG basses. So why sacrifice your wants as far as playability for style?

Which is why I suggest this as a bass option. It's no SG, but it will meet your needs quite well and that combo would leave you enough to buy her cables and a tuner

im sold on both even though they bring me to $100 over budget and i still need accessories
Last edited by fenderfreak100 at Jun 8, 2011,
Quote by Rawshik

While I agree with Ibanez being a very good brand (and yes, used very much for metal), i'll say that any bass can do metal. I can use a Fender Jazz and i'll get a sick tone for metal, brands doesn't really matter.

Also, I agree with fatgoogle and say you'll want atleast a 12'' speaker. If you're gonna play metal, and possibly tune below E, a 10'' speaker (looking at you Carvin), might sound a bit weak, even farty. As far was wattage goes, if you plan to do shows in the future, 250-300W is generally recommended. That Carvin looks like a fine amp combo, but it's probably not fit out to do shows and stuff with.

Why not get her an Ibanez SR300 or 305 and spend the rest on a 1x15 combo?
pinga
That's only $720 plus $25 shipping on the amp so it's actually under your previously said $800 range. So that's $745 + say $30 for a good cable (I only run Monster Cables but you may have different preferences) and then a little chromatic tuner for like $20 (I recommend Korg, but again you may other likes). Putting your grand total at $795
She should probably try the ATK before buying it. They aren't everyone's cup of tea. Great basses though.
Quote by thunderbritches
That's only $720 plus $25 shipping on the amp so it's actually under your previously said $800 range. So that's $745 + say $30 for a good cable (I only run Monster Cables but you may have different preferences) and then a little chromatic tuner for like $20 (I recommend Korg, but again you may other likes). Putting your grand total at $795

oh
$100 back instantly on the amp?
The carvin as far as i can gather is more of a practise, stage moniter style amp. Small acoustic or di'ed gigs it looks good. It does look like a cracker of an amp though. By the size of it and the general quality of carvin products id say it could handle a low B. Maybe not at particularly loud volumes though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Cb4rabid
While I agree with Ibanez being a very good brand (and yes, used very much for metal), i'll say that any bass can do metal. I can use a Fender Jazz and i'll get a sick tone for metal, brands doesn't really matter.

I totally agree. One of my favorite things is jamming on fretless for metal but most people give me strange looks lol

Quote by Cb4rabid
Also, I agree with fatgoogle and say you'll want atleast a 12'' speaker. If you're gonna play metal, and possibly tune below E, a 10'' speaker (looking at you Carvin), might sound a bit weak, even farty. As far was wattage goes, if you plan to do shows in the future, 250-300W is generally recommended. That Carvin looks like a fine amp combo, but it's probably not fit out to do shows and stuff with.

Why not get her an Ibanez SR300 or 305 and spend the rest on a 1x15 combo?

I have to disagree on that part, a 10" won't be bad for metal at all, weak beneath the low E, yes but it most certainly won't be farty. In reality unless you get some finely tuned ported amps with a frequency response down like 25hz (cough basson cough) you won't get great response in that range. And unfortunately those cabs are monstrous and extremely expensive.

And further mathematical nonsense, speaker size doesn't always correspond with frequency response. Such as on the Carvins, the 10's low end is 65hz, the 15 is 60hz while the 12 is 50hz. The reason being is the internal construction of the cabinet, a smaller cab is going to increase backpressure on the speaker giving it more punch but less depth, and oppositely a larger cab gives more depth but less punch. \rant
Quote by thunderbritches
I totally agree. One of my favorite things is jamming on fretless for metal but most people give me strange looks lol

I have to disagree on that part, a 10" won't be bad for metal at all, weak beneath the low E, yes but it most certainly won't be farty. In reality unless you get some finely tuned ported amps with a frequency response down like 25hz (cough basson cough) you won't get great response in that range. And unfortunately those cabs are monstrous and extremely expensive.

And further mathematical nonsense, speaker size doesn't always correspond with frequency response. Such as on the Carvins, the 10's low end is 65hz, the 15 is 60hz while the 12 is 50hz. The reason being is the internal construction of the cabinet, a smaller cab is going to increase backpressure on the speaker giving it more punch but less depth, and oppositely a larger cab gives more depth but less punch. \rant

I know speaker size isn't everything, but it'll have to be one tough 10'' speaker and very nicely designed cab to handle a low B. Some twelves would have problems handling it.

Also, it also depends on the EQ. I use a 2x15, and it's inside a very deep cabinet, and I get a very meaty bassy tone. But with some fiddling around, I can get a fairly punchy loud tone. There's alot of variables, but my suggestion was to get atleast a 12'' speaker. But yeah, it might just work on a 10'', but I doubt it will at high volumes.
pinga
To true, my only problem with 15's is they get the brutal lows but when compared to a 410 or 810 they just don't have the attack. But most 410's don't really have the depth so my next cabs will probably be 2 212's.

Though this doesn't help the OP because I can't think of any decent 12's that are in this price range
Got to remember its easier for a 4x10 to produce similiar or deeper lows then a 1x15. ^^
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Got to remember its easier for a 4x10 to produce similiar or deeper lows then a 1x15. ^^

I have yet to play a 410 that sounded deeper than a 15''. That's just me though
pinga
See its not nesseceraly(i really cant spell) gonna sound depper, but the 4x10 will produce less distortion then the 1x15. Ultimately this means that youre gonna have a cleaner sound, more transparent etc etc.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Page 1 of 2