Hey I need some help, so right now i own a Peavey Vypyr 60w w/ tubes. Its pretty good... but too powerful for my house, i always have the volume turned to like 1, plus i dont think i need all the effects and stuff. So, I need some suggestions on a new amp ( and maybe some pedals), I play alot of metal ( BMTH, Asking Alexandria, Miss May I, Job For A Cowboy) but I also like to just jam around with some light distortion or a good clean sound. So what should I get?!?! Thanks!
You could get a small practice amp for home, but I would not suggest selling your current amp. It's power will be very useful with a band. And if you are perfectly happy with the Vypyr, you don't have to use the effects. They're optional.
what's your budget? where on earth are you? markets vary. read the stickied thread by 311zosovhjh? this will get more productive for you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd say keep the amp and get something along the lines of a metal muff to play on the clean channel.
-ltd mh-350fr
-ltd ec-401
-Ibanez RGA42FM
-peavey valveking 112
-line 6 spider iii 30 watt
-pedalz
Why the hell would he use a Metal Muff with a Vypyr?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Why the hell would he use a Metal Muff with a Vypyr?

Don't think they were thinking logically when they suggested a pedal for a modeling amp.

Actually.... what do you want TS? Do you want a downgrade of power? In which case I'd just suggest you lower the channel volume.

Another tube amp won't really help much, the Blackstar HT5 will probably half your volume, but since you're already on 1, that won't help much.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Marshall MS2.

It would be quieter...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Marshall MS2.

It would be quieter...

Understatement of the week.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
TS, you're not going to get a better amp for the metal that you like to play that sounds better or is any quieter than the Vypyr. On top of that, unlike other tube amps commonly used for metal, the Vypyr actually can get very quiet, and sounds good at extremely low volumes.

Keep the Vypyr. Better to have volume/headroom and not need it than need/want it and not have it.

Quote by clevelandcavs22
I'd say keep the amp and get something along the lines of a metal muff to play on the clean channel.

What's with all the metal muff suggestions lately? It's not a very good pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Understatement of the week.

Well my other thought was one of these...

^ WTF is that man... haha I don't even know if that qualifies as an amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Made by these guys - http://www.smokeyamps.com/

I first sam them in the mid 1990s. Nearly bought one for novelty value. Plus I chug down a fair few Marly reds a day.
Quote by Slap-happy
Made by these guys - http://www.smokeyamps.com/

I first sam them in the mid 1990s. Nearly bought one for novelty value. Plus I chug down a fair few Marly reds a day.

hah. my uncle's got one of those.

anyways, I'd get a 15 or 30 watt Vypyr or something. But keep your current amp if you ever plan on being in a band. 60 watts will reach over the drums easy (my 65 does.)

I can vouch for the 15 watt vypyr being great. But it's oddly light.

Heh.. modeling amps..
this is probably a pathetic question since its my amp... but can ANY pedal work with my amp?? i tried using one pedal and it would not work. I didnt know if the onboard effects would mess with it or what? Thanks again... haha
all pedals should work with your amp.

just set it to a clean setting with no effects and use the pedals.

what pedal didn't work? did it have power? were you plugged into it?

what's the problem?
okay thanks, thats what i figured. it was a danelectro chorus pedal i had laying around, i had a 9V powering it, maybe it was a bad battery, and haha yeah i was plugged in im not that bad haha
hey well i had to ask.
They can work, they just won't sound so good.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales