Hey UG,

I've got to compare, analyse and whatnot 2 music styles for a school project.
Metal and Pop are the genres I'm using. For the presentation I want to use a lot of music (like 10 second clips) while I'm talking and I want to show quite some pictures too. It's got to go atleast a bit fluently so I don't have to wait, click and play the soundclips every time!
It's a big opportunity to bash a lot of pop artists (:p) so help me out!

What is a good program/tool to use for the presentation? Will Powerpoint do the trick, or is there some other (maybe online) program/software/whatever that can help me with that?
instead of bashing on pop, compare metal and classical to find metal's root influences.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
instead of bashing on pop, compare metal and classical to find metal's root influences.

This. Bashing pop is stupid, just because you don't like it and tell people you don't like it, it's not gonna go away.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
This. Bashing pop is stupid, just because you don't like it and tell people you don't like it, it's not gonna go away.

And it won't convert your classmates into metal heads either.
Quote by metaldud536
And it won't convert your classmates into metal heads either.

Exactly. Opinions are subjective, and everyone gets one.
you're a stone fox
although i don't agree with just bashing pop... PowerPoint will work fine because you can just put all the sound clips in there you want and time the slides to go along... its just gonna tske some work
I hate pop music just as much as the next generic metalhead, but I don't think bashing pop would do anything. You can compare the different lyrical themes, the instrumental technicality, but at least do some research on pop to keep you from looking like an idiot. If you want to make a point, you should know what you're talking about.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Or go with this guy's idea.
Quote by colddoger
although i don't agree with just bashing pop... PowerPoint will work fine because you can just put all the sound clips in there you want and time the slides to go along... its just gonna tske some work

Nuh-uh. Don't think you have to time everything manually.

I'm pretty sure you can do up animations for the audio clips so that they play right when you enter the slide, and the slides auto transition after whatever elements on the slides are done showing themselves.
instead of wasting ur time doing the presentation, use ur time wisely to think of an excuse why u didnt do it.
I AM THE APPLE
Try using Windows Movie Maker if you have a PC.

You can show slides as well as video and have music playing when you want it etc
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by Saint78
Exactly. Opinions are subjective, and everyone gets one.

NO! Opinions are like mothers, and everyone's sucks dick.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
What about using prezzie or whatever it's called

Edit: prezi
Last edited by smb at Jun 7, 2011,
Hah I wasn't serious on the bashing pop things, even though I am going to be a little sharp on the use of autotune to be a 'good' singer. I also don't think I wrote 'bash pop in general'.. I love most pop music and I prefer pop over metal in quite a few situations..

Anyway, I think I'm going to take a loot at Prezi 'cause someone showed me a presentation using that and it looks pretty sweet! Can always go back to PowerPoint..

It may indeed have been better if I chose classical because it really is like, metal before (electric!) guitars, basses and drums and all that shit!
Quote by cornela1
Hah I wasn't serious on the bashing pop things, even though I am going to be a little sharp on the use of autotune to be a 'good' singer. I also don't think I wrote 'bash pop in general'.. I love most pop music and I prefer pop over metal in quite a few situations..

Anyway, I think I'm going to take a loot at Prezi 'cause someone showed me a presentation using that and it looks pretty sweet! Can always go back to PowerPoint..

It may indeed have been better if I chose classical because it really is like, metal before (electric!) guitars, basses and drums and all that shit!

Every modern artist uses a bit of autotune these days, don't forget to include that part.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Sherlock_Bones
Thought this would have some relevance to Tool

This.
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Powerpoint will work fine if you have a bit of knowledge with how to work it. It's not too difficult to set soundclips up so that you can pretty much hit play and sit back and watch everything go.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I know, you've said this a few times, but I'm still gonna say it one more time: Don't bash on certain music styles just because you don't like them. You have to inform people, not convert them. If you start sounding like a music elitist, people are gonna hate you.

For your presentation:
Why so complicated? Do your presentation in PowerPoint (or whatever) and the sound clips should be opened in an audio player program (iTunes or whatever). Make a playlist with all the clips you need and sort them so during the presentation you'll be switching between two programs.
Quote by cornela1
It's a big opportunity to bash a lot of pop artists (:p) so help me out!

What is it with people assuming that just because this is a guitar forum, we all hate pop music and wish it'd go away? Bashing pop is for 14 year-old Slayer fans. Accepting it for what it is, regardless of opposition, is maturity. Don't like it? Don't listen to it.