Page 1 of 2
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-inmates-40-years-solitary-must-end-amnesty-000047090.html
humane or inhumane? i'm for the latter.
yahoo's comments section is full of people that think they should be locked in a cell for 23 hours a day for 40 years+ with virtually no human contact.
no matter what crime i've committed, i would never expect to be treated that harshly. in fact, imprisoning someone like that is torture of the worst kind and does not equate to the crime they committed, which is just death, of which i'm sure the equal is the death penalty.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
prevents more idiots from murdering prison guards.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
If you think that's harsh, a fair whack of religions go along with the idea that a lifetime of sin can somehow equate to an eternity of punishment.
they shouldnt have commited a crime. stop feeling bad for them, they broke the law.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
they shouldnt have commited a crime. stop feeling bad for them, they broke the law.

40 years ago? A little extreme maybe?

Besides laws are mean't to be broken, it's the getting caught part that's the bummer
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Quote by kmaster 1337
40 years ago? A little extreme maybe?

Besides laws are mean't to be broken, it's the getting caught part that's the bummer

Laws arent meant to be broken, they are meant to be followed.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
+1 to the first three responses
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by this&that

It doesn't work that way dipshit. EVERYONE gets human rights or no one gets them. You judge a society on how they treat those who are the "most despicable" or whatever you want to call it.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
yo dawg i herd you like killin people so i put a prison in yo prison so you can murder while you murder
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by this&that

so torturing them is a-ok?
bet you wouldn't think that if you were related to the guy the killed
Quote by this&that

imagine being locked in a dark room, 23 hours of the day for a month without talking to anyone and with no games/tv etc. how do you think you'd cope?
no matter what you've done, we can't cope like that as human beings but we're able to cope with death as we all go through it. what they did was wrong but what they're getting is far worse.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

I find that a bit harsh punishment but whats the point of letting them go now, wtf are they gonna do? They don´t know shit about this time, still thinking that Creedence are hot-shit (even tho they still are) and that rap and electro music is some kind of new and weird shit. They don´t know about alot stuff and alot people they knew then are either dead or not so close anymore since they didnt see each other for 40 years. Releasing them is ofcourse always better since i think they got more punishment then neccesary, but they almost have to start over again when in their 60s. That sucks.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
In case anyone actually thinks solitary isn't torture: here's some enlightenting information

People kept in solitary for even a few years can go completely insane. I can't imagine how awful 40 years must be.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by MyS3lF

His widow has participated in a number of PR campaigns demanding that the men be released.

EDIT: Since some of you clearly have no idea who these two men are, I suggest you read the wiki page about them. You might learn something . Like that there was a third man whose conviction was overturned 29 years after the fact.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Last edited by Das_Skittles at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by untalented
imagine being locked in a dark room, 23 hours of the day for a month without talking to anyone and with no games/tv etc. how do you think you'd cope?
no matter what you've done, we can't cope like that as human beings but we're able to cope with death as we all go through it. what they did was wrong but what they're getting is far worse.

what they're getting is far worse than dying at the age of 23? they took the life of a human being. their rights as a human being lost credibility as soon as they stabbed the guard.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by MyS3lF

it's not upto the guy they killed's family. that's the point of justice; it's not based on revenge.
if you were to base punishments on revenge, the punishment would usually be disproportionate to the crime because peoples emotions get in the way too much - particularly if you know the person.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

mfw when these kids grow up and realize trolling and approving the condemning of a man's life are different.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
No surprise that this is in the US. Fucking disgusting.

Indeed.
The pair are suing the Louisiana authorities claiming that their prolonged isolation is "cruel and unusual punishment" and so violates the US constitution.

I don't understand, how have they managed to start a legal case to sue the authorities from solitary confinement?
Sherlock Bones your sig is epic i love karnivool
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
Quote by MadClownDisease
I don't understand, how have they managed to start a legal case to sue the authorities from solitary confinement?

There were three of them. One got his conviction overturned, and has been running a pretty substantial campaign to bring the plight of the other two to the world's attention.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by laid-to-waste
what they're getting is far worse than dying at the age of 23? they took the life of a human being. their rights as a human being lost credibility as soon as they stabbed the guard.

I'd say yes what they are getting is worse than dying at 23, but that's besides the point.

Why does committing a crime invalidate your humanity? Also do you know anything at all of the circumstances around the murder?

EDIT:
Quote by Das_Skittles
There were three of them. One got his conviction overturned, and has been running a pretty substantial campaign to bring the plight of the other two to the world's attention.

Ah. Uninformative article is uninformative.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Jun 7, 2011,
I wonder what the American's response would be if it was happening in another country...
I personally think this is an irrational thing to do.

Ethier give the man the death penalty, a life sentence in prison. Solitary confinement should only be used on a temporary basis.

Im also in support of dismembering limbs (in a humane way, mind you) according to the crime commited.

Rape? fine, were making it so you can't get hard anymore. Stole over $15,000 worth of stuff? Were taking one of your hands.

Assualt and battery, or murder, dismember thier arms.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor

Ethier give the man the death penalty, a life sentence in prison. Solitary confinement should only be used on a temporary basis.

Im also in support of dismembering limbs (in a humane way, mind you) according to the crime commited.

Rape? fine, were making it so you can't get hard anymore. Stole over $15,000 worth of stuff? Were taking one of your hands.

I never hope you get any actual power whatsoever.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
alone in the dark for 23 hours a day for 40 years? that's like over $9000 in tissues!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Henkdemachtige
I never hope you get any actual power whatsoever.

See? It works. People are already scared.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
what happend to the good old days where murderers were but in the arena, that was good fun!
Quote by Vypor
See? It works. People are already scared.

Law isn't just for fear.

If you want that, why not just have death for all and any crimes? People would be shit scared, so I guess that makes that right?
Quote by Vypor

+1

Quote by Vypor

Maybe....
Quote by Vypor
Rape? fine, were making it so you can't get hard anymore.

Quote by Vypor
Stole over $15,000 worth of stuff? Were taking one of your hands.
Is there a ''value x body part'' graph?

Quote by Vypor

Last edited by conor-figgy at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by MadClownDisease
Law isn't just for fear.

If you want that, why not just have death for all and any crimes? People would be shit scared, so I guess that makes that right?

There was supposed to be a mild sense of humor associated with my post, apparently it wasn't well received.

No it doesn't make it right. My deal real is, its not our place to decide if someone elses life should be taken or not, however, I find it more humane to disable or handicap an individual that has already proven themselves untrustworthy in the eye of the populous.

Disabling somebody from repeating a crime they have already comitted once first of all keeps them from doing it again, and also sets a fine example for everyone else. The best part about it is, nobody dies!

You can still live a completely productice life with no arms, or penis. It may suck, but your still alive.
Solitary shouldn't go on for more than 20 years. I do agree that those men should have gotten solitary.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Solitary shouldn't go on for more than 20 years. I do agree that those men should have gotten solitary.

Solitary for even less than a year runs the risk of causing severe mental health problems. Like, severe enough that if they were in the general population they would be committed to a long term psychiatric ward.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Vypor
There was supposed to be a mild sense of humor associated with my post, apparently it wasn't well received.

No it doesn't make it right. My deal real is, its not our place to decide if someone elses life should be taken or not, however, I find it more humane to disable or handicap an individual that has already proven themselves untrustworthy in the eye of the populous.

Disabling somebody from repeating a crime they have already comitted once first of all keeps them from doing it again, and also sets a fine example for everyone else. The best part about it is, nobody dies!

You can still live a completely productice life with no arms, or penis. It may suck, but your still alive.

Haha no I did recognise the element of humour there, but I think the part of your idea people would take issue is is the part you are saying you were entirely serious about.

Yes, cutting someone's arms off would probably physically prevent them re-offending, but it also completely removes their humanity and ability to rehabilitate.

Go around dismembering criminals and all you'll end up with is a bunch of angry nuggets, not a happy well-run society.

EDIT: and I would debate that someone could live life properly having been forcibly mutilated. Regardless of how small the physical limitation is, there is serious psychological harm caused there.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Jun 7, 2011,
It makes me laugh whenever someone says that you can lose your human rights. The people commenting really are thick as shit.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Here's some interesting information on what they did in prison prior to the stabbing:
Quote by Wikipedia
The men then organized prisoners to build a movement within the walls to desegregate the prison, to end systematic rape and violence, for better living conditions, and worked as jailhouse lawyers helping prisoners file legal papers. They organized multiple strikes and sit-ins for better conditions.

40 years is solitary confinement is unacceptable, not even murderers deserve that. They may have screwed up a bit, but they were actively trying to better prison conditions. I'd bet that the prison guard was being an dick, or messing with them prior to the stabbing.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by Vypor

Stole over $15,000 worth of stuff? Were taking one of your hands.

You cannot be serious.
I have no sig
Quote by MadClownDisease

Go around dismembering criminals and all you'll end up with is a bunch of angry nuggets, not a happy well-run society.

?

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Page 1 of 2